What weather report do you use

You can phone NAIPS like we used to from country airports, but I agree that was often more confusing than helpful.

Unfortunately this thread was split off from a thread about a fatal accident where the NAIPS report (which is specifically aviation based) was for moderate to severe turbulence, yet the pilot took off and the aircraft broke up in flight.

Problem is you can't see turbulence, and Facthunter has mentioned a couple of times you can be in trouble up to 19 miles from certain cloud formations.

The reason I asked the question was to see just how many people were using NAIPS, and I must say the result was a pleasant surprise.

• Like 1

I look forward to the day they put it in plain English. Just not necessary. Necessary last century but not now.

All those abbreviations were setup eons ago when we only had telex machines and a non local phone call cost the earth. Yep I am old enough to remember operating a telex!

• Agree 2

I look forward to the day they put it in plain English. Just not necessary. Necessary last century but not now.All those abbreviations were setup eons ago when we only had telex machines and a non local phone call cost the earth. Yep I am old enough to remember operating a telex!

There's got to some sort of conspiracy hear? . Guarding old turf ? Ect. Ect.

Guest Andys@coffs

Trouble is we can use it as an aid, but carrying a print out of the plain weather report alone doesn't meet the CASA requirements. Which to use an analogy would be the equivalent to CASA saying we must keep a morse key in our pocket for the radio cause real pilots don't speak when morse code can do all you need!

I look forward to the day they put it in plain English. Just not necessary. Necessary last century but not now.All those abbreviations were setup eons ago when we only had telex machines and a non local phone call cost the earth. Yep I am old enough to remember operating a telex!

Exactly - its the language needed for telexing and telegrammes, which are now extinct.

It's an extra cost for the training of Airservices personnel.

It's extra time and mistake prone for pilots (cost me two days on the ground once).

Even though it has killed pilots, Airservices are frozen in the past.

Same with airfields; we've built our software systems to use code in the background, not be a slave to it.

For example it's faster to type a name than it is to look up ERSA, make a note of the code and then type that; in fact we can now global search for photos by inputting a small section of a digital photo.

When I read a story about someone's trip to YOLW, I don't bother going any further, I just move on to the next story.