Another Jabiru engine bites the dust

Motz,

any chance you could reuqest a few pics of the thru bolt and nut config as well as the barrel base flanges pleae? The latest config barrels have a thicker flange and the thru bolts are larger to stop this, so if its latest spec I am now worried about my planes all over again or should I say more.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motz,any chance you could reuqest a few pics of the thru bolt and nut config as well as the barrel base flanges pleae? The latest config barrels have a thicker flange and the thru bolts are larger to stop this, so if its latest spec I am now worried about my planes all over again or should I say more.

Are you confusing the new CAMIT barrels with Jabiru barrels? The CAMIT barrels certainly do have larger through bolts, a thicker flange and a thicker barrel wall in the vicinity of the flange. Dunno about the "latest" Jabiru barrels - that engine cannot have had the new CAMIT barrels.

Are you confusing the new CAMIT barrels with Jabiru barrels? The CAMIT barrels certainly do have larger through bolts, a thicker flange and a thicker barrel wall in the vicinity of the flange. Dunno about the "latest" Jabiru barrels - that engine cannot have had the new CAMIT barrels.

Hey Dafydd, the roller cam engine in my 230 looks to have the larger flanges? may be a visual illusion but I will measure them and see.

Hmmm, this is a grey area it seem's as there is confusion in the industry at the moment surrounding the fitment of Cammit parts sourced through them not jabiru, on CASA type certified aircraft.

Advice that I received from CASA listed, design engineers was that yes the same part number components can be fitted to C model 24 registered Jabiru's. Info from 2 independent sources however only verbal and not written.

• Agree 1

I'm not the authoritative source of information on this; but my understanding is that if it has the Jabiru part number, it's not the revised CAMIT design. CAMIT makes Jabiru parts, to Jabiru's design, under Jabiru's Production certificate, which means - as I understand it - that only Jabiru can issue release notes for them. CAMIT has its own Production Certificate, but it's under CASR 21.133(2B), which means the parts made under that PC have to be ordered on a "one off" basis - that was how it was done for the Blanik life-extension parts kits. There is a lot to do to extend this to parts for general supply.