Recreational Flying at the Crossroads

Guest john

Guest Maj Millard
Maj.

Why so parochical? If the info is of interest to RAAus members in NQ why is it not of interest to the rest of us? 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

One of the problems I find with the current system for the election of Board members is that it is regionally based and focuses the attention of some elected member on their own patch.

A member of the RAAus Board should be working for the best interests of ALL RAAus members!

A board member advocating on behalf of his/her region may have a potential conflict of interest.

I feel disenfranchised by the current electoral system as, being in WA, I only get a vote for a Board member once every 2 years - and then there is often only one candidate so I don't get a choice even then.

(I know, drum up more candidates, or put your own hand up - maybe I should.)

I would like to see a system where the candidates for all board places (from ALL regions) were on the ballot paper and we (RAAus members) all get to vote for (or against) each candidate in order of our preference. 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

DFW....My Communicae with members in my area contains local news, happenings and going-ons particular to this area and probabily of no interest to others outside this area. What you shoul be asking is where is your Communicae from your board member ?....As far as I know I am the only one doing so as I believe communication is the key. It has been very well recieved by my members, and also by some members well outside my area to the south.

Your correct in saying a board member represents all RAA members and we do, I have recieved many calls from interstate an I am always happy to talk with anyone, it's not like I ever say ' oh your not in my area and I can't talk to you'......

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andys@coffs

DWF I share your view that state based representation is of no particular aviation value to RAAus, but it does prevent a bunch of locals of town X suddenly deciding that RAAus needs a huge change of direction and with their 200 local members they can just go ahead and do it given the very small member voter turn out at the next election. Today at best they can drive the election of 2 reps only in 1 election ( which is still significant!) .Its a difficult thing getting the mix right so that change is possible, but not easily to just one localized group. Id be keen to see your thoughts as to how it should change and who knows we may have the bones of a motion for the next GM at Temora.... I know you have done that in the above but how would you address the risk of a splinter group taking us way off path..... Perhaps a heat map of Australia showing population vs voter turnout might show issues... but only after the election cause if all the locals of Town X knew they wouldn't vote until a day or so before close thereby stopping anyone noticing the hiccup until too late.

Alternately voting in a board where the board has specific skill requirements for some or all of the positions may well make such a hostile takeover more difficult to achieve and at the same time be of significant benefit to RAAus PROVIDING that the skillsets sought can be found from those prepared to stand...

Andy

Good point with the ultra-low voting turnout of today, but the better fix is to motivate more members to vote, and part of that is for them to understand RAA is not the same as a State Motor Vehicle Registry Office. With the benefit of vision there are so many things which could be done to boost members' flying experience.

If you introduce required skills there are likely to be critical positions unfilled; motivating people is the key.

Guest Andys@coffs

and its my view that motivation is impossible in the absence of communication.....Perhaps the current team is on to something start to timely communicate and who knows what might well be achieved......

Andy

Yes, if communication gets momentum up, even if it's argy bargy for a while, at least people know what's happening and will, if nothing else, provide an instant survey of where the concerns lie. The current communication is putting a lot of things in perspective, and it seems to me bringing in more contributions from more people.

Remember, the true mark of a leader is a willingness to be judge by his peers, even if some of them are bastards.

• Like 1

and its my view that motivation is impossible in the absence of communication.....Perhaps the current team is on to something start to timely communicate and who knows what might well be achieved......Andy

And my NSW rep communicae is.... not in my inbox? Maybe next week, hey Andy?

Guest Andys@coffs

Don't know....While voted in......I don't actually get to play the part until the AGM so to all intents I know nothing more than you do......

If you didn't get the email from the office on Friday (If that's what you are talking about) it may simply be that they don't have an email for you...or the one they have is an old one...Give the office a ring and get it sorted........If you PM me your email address I'll forward my copy that I got around Friday mid morning.

Andy

(EDIT: I noted that on the RAAus Members portal you now have the ability as the intro page after login to subscribe to the newsletter so you don't need to ring anyone.. An obvious solution to a an obvious step forward....at the risk of annoying some...2 great things in a row...)

Good to hear support for RAA becoming a truly National Association instead of some half baked federation.

There is broad support for the concept at Board life but grave suspicion from some of the more parochial shallow thinkers.

Guest Maj Millard

It's North Queensland Turbs, not Far North Qld....that's something they dreamed up in Cairns just to be different. If there is a FNQ it's generally considered to be Cairns and above..........Maj....

So where does Qld stop and North Qld start please?

Some would say Mackay..........

North of latitude 22 Degrees South is considered North Qld (as far as the RAA constitution is concerned), which lies between Mackay and Rockhampton

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1