Attn: Flying schools - RPL test bunny available

After much consideration of available training options, it's almost certain I'll be going the RPL route to complete my pilot training. If there's a flying school out there that wants a test bunny to go through all the new regulations and refine their internal procedures for this new licence, I'm your guy. In exchange I'm hoping to get some kind of rate reduction, but bear with me while I explain the situation.

In the mid 80's I did 16.3 hrs dual and 2.9 hrs solo at Lilydale, flying Piper Warrior PA-28-161's. At that time I attained a Student Pilot licence which is marked Permanently Valid and endorsed with a rating for that aircraft. I also have the updated CASA version dated 08 Nov 2004 which I believe was a necessity due to changes in legislation. Then in 2004 I took further lessons through RAAus in a Thruster TST and did a further 9.6 hrs dual instruction, at which time I passed the BAK and solo exams. I haven't flown since, mainly due to cost considerations.

This means that in terms of hours required I almost qualify already, but will certainly need a couple more exams, a flight review and a minimum of 2.6 hrs solo for the basic RPL licence requirements. At least.

I own a microlight in NZ and intend to fly that, which means I'll be doing a conversion to either a NZ RPL or RAANZ certificate later, so this affects the type of aircraft I'd like to be training in. My plane is a single seat, highwing trike with a Rotax 447 in tractor configuration so something close to that would be preferable, although I'm certainly not averse to flying a GA aircraft of similar type. Training is not available in the area where I bought my house so I might as well do it here before my next trip to NZ in late September.

I'm 61yo and retired, and my health is perfect, being an ex-smoker (2 years) and non-drinker. I'm also a fast student and could self study any theory exams without issue. Finally any offer of training, if accepted, will be paid in full before starting, to encourage further discount through package deals. I can go anywhere in northern NSW or SE Qld (currently in Brisbane) and am available immediately. Preference will also be given to uncontrolled airspace, since I'll be flying in a region where there are few aircraft and no tower exists. I'd like to be the first person to finish the RPL, but I'm sure there are a lot of contenders out there.

So, who'll take me on?

• Agree 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys upgrading from a RAA pilot certificate to PPL from Boonah have been treated well at the Lismore Aero club. I can't see the RPL being any different. Some GA schools dislike RAA pilots, they actually think RAA pilots don 't actually fly real aeroplanes. ( WTF, it isn't as though they are card board cut outs of real aeroplanes) . Best to do some research.

Guys upgrading from a RAA pilot certificate to PPL from Boonah have been treated well at the Lismore Aero club. I can't see the RPL being any different. Some GA schools dislike RAA pilots, they actually think RAA pilots don 't actually fly real aeroplanes. ( WTF, it isn't as though they are card board cut outs of real aeroplanes) . Best to do some research.

Well, most of my flying was done toward a PPL originally so I really don't belong in either camp. As far as research goes, have you ever tried to get a reply to an email from a flying school? I figured posting here would be way faster, since I want it done and dusted by the end of August. I am thoroughly over the never-ending training and piecemeal approach and so far have a huge investment in study and cash for very little to show for it.

I figure most schools won't yet be geared up to deliver the RPL, so I'm offering to help. That includes streamlining delivery by researching all the necessary steps and even preparing a checklist for use at the school. Hell, I'll even wash airplanes while they do it if it gets me a licence I can actually use. I'm sure there must be some overloaded CFI out there who will find this an attractive proposition.

And if you believe there is any school in Australia prepared for this already, try googling RPL Training and see what you get. Nada.

Practically, with training that far back, you really need to start again, albeit probably coming through in a lot less hours.

Our friends CASA have seen to it that you have to catch up with their constant changes of procedures, radio etc, and while anyone who has ridden a horse can get back on at any time, they are often fall off before they get their hand/eye co-ordination back.

With your health status, I wouldn't recommend you bother with RPL, because PPL isvery little extra work for so much more.

• Agree 1

If you have passed your GFPT, you will automatically receive the RPL (after applying for it) and you have until 2018 ( i think, the year could be wrong) to change it over. After that date the GFPT will no longer be valid. I read this information on the CASA website while ago.

If you have passed your GFPT, you will automatically receive the RPL (after applying for it) and you have until 2018 ( i think, the year could be wrong) to change it over. After that date the GFPT will no longer be valid. I read this information on the CASA website while ago.

I believe GFPT came in after 2004. It was called the Restricted Private Pilots Licence when I started.

BTW I did a search for Lismore Aero Club, couldn't even find a website. Typical.

Practically, with training that far back, you really need to start again, albeit probably coming through in a lot less hours.

I'd say five hours at maximum to an RPL, any more and the instructor is wasting time to build his own hours.

Our friends CASA have seen to it that you have to catch up with their constant changes of procedures, radio etc, and while anyone who has ridden a horse can get back on at any time, they are often fall off before they get their hand/eye co-ordination back.

Never did the flight radio licence - Lilydale is uncontrolled - but I have a ham licence and a maritime radio operator's certificate, both passed on the first shot. I can't remember the specs of the Warrior any longer but I could fly one again if someone reminded me. Recently qualified for a HC (semi) licence so hand-eye co-ordination is still there.

With your health status, I wouldn't recommend you bother with RPL, because PPL isvery little extra work for so much more.

Remember I'm going to be living in NZ. They have a 50 hr minimum so that's a lot more hours. Besides, I have no desire to fly at night. At this point I don't need any of the RPL endorsements either, although I'd do the radio endorsement because it's easy and almost cost-free.

I believe GFPT came in after 2004. It was called the Restricted Private Pilots Licence when I started.BTW I did a search for Lismore Aero Club, couldn't even find a website. Typical.

Nope i did my GFPT in 1998.

Try northern rivers aero club in your search.

• Agree 1

IDE say if you washed the aeroplane 400 or so times , that could do it.But I really think if you want a licence to fly , you'll have to pay for it .

Please read the original post again. I am not offering to exchange washing airplanes for lessons. As far as I can see there is no flying club or school prepared to deliver the RPL right now and I'm offering to help run a "pilot program" - in the sense meaning "trial" - to debug someone's delivery of it. I also expect to pay the majority of the full price, but don't believe any school could justify charging full price right now due to their unpreparedness and the screwing around it would involve for the first trainee.

You guys are pilots, really? Sure glad they brought in the mandatory minimum requirements for understanding of English.

Nope i did my GFPT in 1998.

I stand corrected. They didn't call it that at Lilydale.

Try northern rivers aero club in your search.

Cheers Dazza, they look pretty good actually. Everything from recreational to commercial and they seem to be flying Jabirus, which would be an easy conversion to my aircraft type. They also have a Warrior!

There's a glitch however, in that their Jabirus are RA-Aus registered so they may not be eligible for RPL training. Solo in the Warrior would run to $180/hr which is way out of my budget. I can get dual in kiwiland for NZ$120/hr (but they require many more hours for a licence).

I'll get in contact and ask them anyhow.

I'm curious as what you see as the difference rpl as far as theory is concerned ,

It won't be that much , if at all different from what's already in place , it's much the same theory , and the flying component , well , the aircraft won't know the difference , will it .

I still think your looking for cheep lessons , and that only impacts the flying school .

You guys are pilots, really? Sure glad they brought in the mandatory minimum requirements for understanding of English.

Condescending and not helping your case.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

This won't win me any friends, but I have to agree with Rob Judd. Why do so many contributors to these forums take such delight and pride in mangling the mother tongue? Misspelling and use of wrong words is rampant, and doesn't give one confidence in the perpetrator. If you can't spell basic words, I would have little faith in your ability to fly an aircraft, and even less in your ability to construct and maintain one. The education level displayed is not much above grade 4 primary school.

Bad spelling and bad grammar is no more indicative of flying/building competence than good spelling/grammar. It sure can be annoying but speaking down on those that don't always get it right is more annoying.

• Agree 5

Guys,

From my reading of the documentation, the RPL is the same as and replaces the GFPT, same license, same syllabus, different name.

Have I got that wrong?

And ...

It has to be done in a VH registered aircraft; and

You cannot fly RAAus aircraft with it; so

Why do you need an RPL If all you are going to do is fly RAAus type aircraft.

If we then take that further, why is there a need for a new syllabus or any guinea pigs?

• Agree 2

This won't win me any friends, but I have to agree with Rob Judd. Why do so many contributors to these forums take such delight and pride in mangling the mother tongue? Misspelling and use of wrong words is rampant, and doesn't give one confidence in the perpetrator. If you can't spell basic words, I would have little faith in your ability to fly an aircraft, and even less in your ability to construct and maintain one. The education level displayed is not much above grade 4 primary school.

COMPOST!

• Like 2

All these idiots who can't spell, who build their own aeroplanes, who have paid for their own training, who teach people to fly, who fly jets for airlines. All these darn idiots. And of course, the one genius who has worked out that the key to a CFI's heart is an empty wallet. Good luck pal.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

I'd say five hours at maximum to an RPL, any more and the instructor is wasting time to build his own hours.

. I think that statement is potentially 'cocky'. You may be right and having not flown for years you may pick it up quickly. Did you do the required 'under the hood' training because that will add at least 2 hrs to required training.

In the mid 80's I did 16.3 hrs dual and 2.9 hrs solo at Lilydale, flying Piper Warrior PA-28-161's. At that time I attained a Student Pilot licence which is marked Permanently Valid and endorsed with a rating for that aircraft. I also have the updated CASA version dated 08 Nov 2004 which I believe was a necessity due to changes in legislation. Then in 2004 I took further lessons through RAAus in a Thruster TST and did a further 9.6 hrs dual instruction, at which time I passed the BAK and solo exams. I haven't flown since, mainly due to cost considerations.This means that in terms of hours required I almost qualify already, but will certainly need a couple more exams, a flight review and a minimum of 2.6 hrs solo for the basic RPL licence requirements. At least.

Rob, really don't want to disappoint you, but there used to be an expiry on the exams if you hadn't attained at least the first level of license that applied e.g. GFPT (Restricted PPL in my day). So I would suggest you will have to do your exams again.

Sold a plane to a guy , similar history ,

He was confident in his perceived abilities , 5 hrs tops ,

Reality check , after 21 hrs went solo .

Flying isn't like riding a bike ,

Cheers

• Agree 1

I suspect there is next to no correlation between spelling ability and the ability to construct, maintain, and fly an aircraft.

Could be right there Bandit? I have and old customer that flys a Squirrel helicopter plus his Citation jet, but seems to have difficulty in reading and writing himself. You write the cheque out for me and i'll sign it was always the way.

Anything technical written about his purchase, he normally ask "what does it say"?

I've always been at a loss to know how he managed his licence attainments, but who am I to ask?

A nice guy to deal with though, nevertheless. I'd be very happy with my lot if I was only 5% as successful as he has been.

• Like 1

image.jpg.c1d63314dedfaaac5d4eca6260defbcf.jpg

Please read the original post again. I am not offering to exchange washing airplanes for lessons. As far as I can see there is no flying club or school prepared to deliver the RPL right now and I'm offering to help run a "pilot program" - in the sense meaning "trial" - to debug someone's delivery of it. I also expect to pay the majority of the full price, but don't believe any school could justify charging full price right now due to their unpreparedness and the screwing around it would involve for the first trainee.You guys are pilots, really? Sure glad they brought in the mandatory minimum requirements for understanding of English.

It's also discriminating , to all those , who through no fault of their own , have difficulty in reading & writing .

And for the the record I've built 21 raa registered aircraft , designed the avocet , built , test flown , crashed , & built another one.!!??? .all on a fourth grade education .!!!!image.jpg.3e71864c9e65a138f067463d08aa7b1d.jpg

Cheers

Also did a full nut & bolt restoration on my 1955 land-rover ( same age as me !)

• Like 5
  • Winner 1