Attn: Flying schools - RPL test bunny available

Your efforts have been an inspiration to many on here Avocet especially me, and i'm sure the envy of many.

Well done mate!

By the way, have you managed to climb back on the horse yet?

Kind Regards

Planey

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH=full]31428[/ATTACH]It's also discriminating , to all those , who through no fault of their own , have difficulty in reading & writing .

And for the the record I've built 21 raa registered aircraft , designed the avocet , built , test flown , crashed , & built another one.!!??? .all on a fourth grade education .!!!![ATTACH=full]31427[/ATTACH]

Cheers

Also did a full nut & bolt restoration on my 1955 land-rover ( same age as me !)

After reading the posts from the beginning, I'm pretty sure it's not you he was having a go at.

After reading the posts from the beginning, I'm pretty sure it's not you he was having a go at.

Sorry , but he used my post in his rant,

The last thing we want to do is offend ,

And I wish Rod all the luck in his endevers ( there's those swigglys again ))

Cheers

• Like 1

Your efforts have been an inspiration to many on here Avocet especially me, and i'm sure the envy of many.Well done mate!

By the way, have you managed to climb back on the horse yet?

Kind Regards

Planey

Back on the horse , yea , soon I hope .

Ide like to take it to Port Pirie flyin in August 24 , I think .image.jpg.538bfb6be389557d055e479a310ae64d.jpg

I've been busy lately building an controlled climate room in the hanger with son Nicholas. He's bought a 3 D printer from the USA

Regards mike

• Like 1

Geez Mike! I think you need to change your avitar to "Energizer Bunny"Looks like you don't even have time to sleep.

Nicholas is doing most of the work , I just tell him what to do , he's good to work with and is a quite capable young man ,( wish I was 21 again )

Yea we've got a few plans to try and make some money out hear ,

I'm going to ( after I've sorted the avocet to a standard we can sell a kit or two .) build a single seat electric engine type of sailplane . I've done the preliminary design and just waiting for some $ to buy more tooling resin & cloth

Mike

Ps . there's not much to do out hear but work

How does the angle of the tail secton work on the avocet it look like it has quite a angle? Does it always want to climb or does the motor on top counter act against the tail ?

Don't quite get what you mean about angle of tail section : if your referring to the tail plane incidence , it's set to neg. 3 deg. And the wing set to pos. 2.7deg with a 2.5deg dihedral .

The pugouids ( spelling?) are all fine and it doesn't show any signs of pitch problems . It a stable plane to fly and can be landed on trim alone .(smooth air)

Mike .

How does the angle of the tail secton work on the avocet it look like it has quite a angle? Does it always want to climb or does the motor on top counter act against the tail ?

Aah , I get it , your wondering why the tail is so high and swept up ,

It's like the c17 or caribou, or those other military transports,

The avocet has clam shell doors that open up the back , the prop on top liberates the inside space for a single bed ambulance , or motor bike .

VH rego of coarse .

As a raa rego it's limited in what you can do : one pilot + full fuel + 60kgs baggage .

It was designed for the 750 kg weight increase

I was told at the time by the powers that be , that 750 kgs was a go er

Bit hard to shrink it without starting again!!

Mike

Could be right there Bandit? I have and old customer that flys a Squirrel helicopter plus his Citation jet, but seems to have difficulty in reading and writing himself. You write the cheque out for me and i'll sign it was always the way.Anything technical written about his purchase, he normally ask "what does it say"?

I've always been at a loss to know how he managed his licence attainments, but who am I to ask?

A nice guy to deal with though, nevertheless. I'd be very happy with my lot if I was only 5% as successful as he has been.

I remember hearing a story about an Italian migrant in the 60's who was turned down for a job with the Council as a "Night carter" (emptying the cans from all of the backyard dunnies before modern sewerage systems). The reason for not getting the job was because he could not read and write English.

He bought a bag of oranges on the way home and resold the singly at the pub for a modest profit.

He was obviously good at it and became a wealthy man owning farms, fruit & veg businesses etc and employing many people.

One day in the late 90's, when he was asked by a friend to read a business proposal, he asked the friend what it said because he had never learned to read and write English.

His friend was amazed that he had accomplished so much and said "Imagine what you could have been if you could read and write English."

The reply was "A sh*t carter with the Council"

• Like 2

This won't win me any friends, but I have to agree with Rob Judd. Why do so many contributors to these forums take such delight and pride in mangling the mother tongue? Misspelling and use of wrong words is rampant, and doesn't give one confidence in the perpetrator. If you can't spell basic words, I would have little faith in your ability to fly an aircraft, and even less in your ability to construct and maintain one. The education level displayed is not much above grade 4 primary school.

Sorry Pete, but you've misunderstood my post and derailed the thread. I wasn't commenting about anyone's spelling or grammar, but on their understanding of what was intended by the writer.

We now have a string of knee-jerk reactions to that post, thanks to your painting me as a grammar nazi.

I'm curious as what you see as the difference rpl as far as theory is concerned ,It won't be that much , if at all different from what's already in place , it's much the same theory , and the flying component , well , the aircraft won't know the difference , will it .

I still think your looking for cheep lessons , and that only impacts the flying school .

From my side of the equation it all has to do with what I can easily convert to a NZ licence/certificate. If a school isn't prepared to deliver the RPL yet then I'd be doing them a service by helping streamline it, for which I'd expect some compensation. No-one has to take up that offer if they don't want it.

As far as administration of the RPL vs what's currently in place, I'd suggest reading the requirements before assuming they're identical. It's more to do with knowing what to leave out than knowing what to include.

Majority of full price? I guess we can all dremeYou offer to be a giney pig but then say it will only be five hours?

Good luck

My school has the syllabus sorted it is just a matter of it coming in

And there's mistake number one. Why not start delivering now, and certify on 1st September?

It's all about business acumen and taking advantage of opportunities. (i.e. there's the quick, and the dead.)

Try northern rivers aero club in your search.

Turns out Bill at NRAC has been very helpful. He suggested finishing the RA-Aus training in the Jabiru and then simply doing a couple of hours in the Warrior to get the RPL. Apparently all I need is the RA-Aus Radio and Human Factors exams and a few hours more flying.

Thanks Dazza.

• Like 1

Turns out Bill at NRAC has been very helpful. He suggested finishing the RA-Aus training in the Jabiru and then simply doing a couple of hours in the Warrior to get the RPL. Apparently all I need is the RA-Aus Radio and Human Factors exams and a few hours more flying.Thanks Dazza.

No worries Rob, glad to help

• Helpful 1

Thread closed. I got the quote from Lismore and their rates are 50% higher than Lilydale. Will be completing my training in New Zealand, where I can get dual in a FlySynthesis Storch for NZ$120ph.

Thanks for playing everyone.

T

Turns out Bill at NRAC has been very helpful. He suggested finishing the RA-Aus training in the Jabiru and then simply doing a couple of hours in the Warrior to get the RPL. Apparently all I need is the RA-Aus Radio and Human Factors exams and a few hours more flying.Thanks Dazza.

yurns out not so much difference

I was just about to use the tyre kicker word myself Poteroo; this just didn't make any sense at all.

I think we had him sussed pretty early in the game

• Like 1

Folks, you have just seen a good example of the tyre-kickers who waste the time of FTF's in our fair country.happy days,

The flight training facilities in this fair country are pricing themselves out of business. I got a quote, considered it was too high, and made other arrangements. Tyre kicker? I think not.

I was quoted 18+ hours and the dual rates for Warriors were $340ph. Would you pay that?

This is no complaint about NRAC at all, they're entitled to set whatever prices they can get locally. But I'm pretty sure only the locals, uninformed as to what's available elsewhere, would actually go for it.

I certainly didn't waste Bill's time, although he may have wasted his own. He wouldn't tell me their hourly rates until he got my logs and did a full quote.

• Agree 1

$340 isn't too bad for a Warrior. Aircraft are expensive to operate and too any instructors and schools have been starving themselves for too long. An advantage of Lismore is that one can get out to do circuits or the training area very quickly and the VDO time will not be much more than your airswitch time. A bit different to a major airport where a large proportion of logbook hours are taken up with taxi and wait times rather than flying the bird.

$340 isn't too bad for a Warrior. Aircraft are expensive to operate and too any instructors and schools have been starving themselves for too long. An advantage of Lismore is that one can get out to do circuits or the training area very quickly and the VDO time will not be much more than your airswitch time. A bit different to a major airport where a large proportion of logbook hours are taken up with taxi and wait times rather than flying the bird.

Agreed, it is pretty easy at a place like Moorabbin to spend close to 20 minutes of your hour on start up, taxi, run up, taxi, holding, and sometimes a very long taxi home after landing.

Let's compare apples with apples here. Moorabbin has higher rental and built-in costs dictate the rates.

Lismore $340ph. Lilydale $242ph. Both dual wet rates.

And I certainly wouldn't need 18 hours to complete an RPL either.