School visits promoting RAAus and flying....

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

image.jpg.fbd18e7fdb957911945dc0525b156b12.jpg

We were sitting around at the field one day discussing the need for more young people in the sport. We have decided to take it to them at schools around Townsville and we have done two of the larger colleges so far.......very good responses from both students and schools. Photos taken which will be featured in the school magazines so things expected to get even better......Local CFI Steve ODonnell and wife Mary Anne doing most of the talking, and me talking about what RAA us can offer also. Have already discovered another future Matt Hall !.....

Have found that young people are interested, you just have to reach them with the info..............Maj......012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

image.jpg.9acc5cf9031368f3f298305d1eb6c556.jpg

image.jpg.575a21717234171acb11acc3d537cb57.jpg

image.jpg.d371d85fa2ad22e4bb9c73819dbbefb2.jpg

Well done in taking Aviation to the up and coming guys.

Our little archery club has been dwindling in numbers for many years now and we just put it down to the computer age. But at our last AGM there was a big and much needed shakeup and change in positions and getting some new idea's and enthusiasm back in the arena. We have advertise trial days and set aside time to coach beginners and now membership is rising and the club is going gangbusters.

It shows what can be done, but at the end of the day it takes dedicated people prepared to put their valuable time in, in this fast pace world.

Ross can you explain to me what the rank bars on the eppilette relate to in aviation language, are they related to commercial ratings? My only personal experience has been in Army and Rural fire service but have never understood the aviation ones.

The uniform, wings badge, gold bars etc exude a professional image & I for one think this is extremely important. When I was training all instructors had to wear the uniform. In the last few years I have come across too many instructors who just wear a T shirt & stubbies or whatever they feel like at the time. They don't look like an instructor even though they may be very good. The professional image has an impact on potential pilot trainees and improves the image of RA-Aus.

• Agree 1

Ross can you explain to me what the rank bars on the eppilette relate to in aviation language, are they related to commercial ratings? My only personal experience has been in Army and Rural fire service but have never understood the aviation ones.

From what I understand, there is no standard, even with the airlines. A few years back I discussed this with a pilot who worked as a casual for charter, government, airline, instructing etc and he said it depended on the airline or company. He had several, from five bars to two. Two was the minimum for charter because the company didn't want people to think a one bar guy (who still had his training wheels on) was flying them solo. Five was for a private jet - if you can afford a jet you don't want people to think you didn't have the best pilot.

The school had one bar per level (1,2,3), with the CFI on 4. He mentioned another school that had a similar scheme (plus one) as they awarded graduates one bar, so the CFI there was 5 gold bars.

Sue

Guest Maj Millard

• Generally three is a working line pilot , four is company chief pilot...two for a rookie or first Officer. Not sure where it relates to the instructor side of things. You'll notice I have none......so shows you where I rank !............

I think It is BS for Rec flying, but that is only my opinion.. Just have something on your pocket saying CFI or INSTRUCTOR and the school's name. 4 bars was airline jet command. In a plane it's not a bad idea to know who the Captain is, because a lot of people want him/her to sign things. I got mistaken for a bellhop in an upmarket hotel foyer when I was waiting for the pickup, by a fat Yank who was going to have me sacked because I wouldn't take his bags to his room..I should have just done it and kept the tip. See what a fancy uniform does for you. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

• Generally three is a working line pilot , four is company chief pilot...two for a rookie or first Officer. Not sure where it relates to the instructor side of things. You'll notice I have none......so shows you where I rank !............

So who was the kid in the middle of the second photo who was out of uniform, lucky he didn't get detention!

Reckon that epaulettes are really overkill for RAAus schools. It's easy to look professional and casual if you try. A collared golf shirt or a short sleeve cotton shirt looks fine, and even better if you have your FTF logo and trading name sewn into it. Some GA charter companies have a set of wings sewn into the shirt along with the company logo and name. That looks professional - yet restrained. If you want to go further - then have your name, with your job descriptor too, on a name card and attach that to your shirt each day.

happy days,

Guest Maj Millard

As I see it , it should be the instructors decision totally....he's running a business after all , if he feels he needs epilets to promote his image than so be it.

Personally if I was instructing a smart shirt with maybe a small set of wings would probabily do it. Wouldn't 't use epilets myself, but like I say, your choice to project whatever image you so chose.

I'm sure a parent dropping their only daughter or son off for the first flight lesson in an UL, would be more than happy to see a smartly turned out instructor. Additionally when we turn up at a school to conduct our promotions, the school and staff are also impressed by our professional turn out .....we are looking at visiting theses school often not just once, so a good impression first time round will get us in the door next time...................Maj......

Most kids though only see epaulettes on bus drivers and cops... The meaning of them is a bit lost. The yanks are running a "build a plane" program where the kids build a ch750. I reckon that would probably be more effective way of promoting awareness of aviation for kids. Most kids turn up to the careers talks because it's time off studying.

We had the same discussions with our rescue organisation and the end decision was to go with the epaulettes for a couple of reasons. The main one being that beforehand at big conferences or meetings with a minister the lowest recruit was dressed the same as boss man/woman and from all I can gather the individual squads find no benefit in it but when dealing with other emergency services it has helped immensely and I think rec flying would be the same but really it needs organising so that it is the same standard in one town as another.

Guest Maj Millard
Most kids though only see epaulettes on bus drivers and cops... The meaning of them is a bit lost. The yanks are running a "build a plane" program where the kids build a ch750. I reckon that would probably be more effective way of promoting awareness of aviation for kids. Most kids turn up to the careers talks because it's time off studying.

Well I can tell you your wrong again FT...what I've seen is genuine interests in doing a bit of flying by many............Maj....

Most instructor uniforms look a little plain. A bit of gold braid and perhaps a coloured lanyard and peaked cap should do the trick!017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Maj Millard
genuine interest + no money + no car = nothing, zip, nuddayou really need to focus on promoting aviation to people that can afford to go flying.

Wrong again FT...these catholic college kids have very monied up parents......

genuine interest + no money + no car = nothing, zip, nuddayou really need to focus on promoting aviation to people that can afford to go flying.

Of course school kids usually don't have much cash, but this gives them something worthwhile to work towards. You can't kill the dream.

• Agree 1

Maj, you could contact Trevor Bange from Clifton and do a bit of research into the Clifton club's scholarship programme. They have been giving free lessons to kids for a few years now.

I was there one day when they where having try outs and it was an impressive turnout about 15 kids.

I asked one of the instructors how successful it was and he sort of mumbled, I asked how many of the kids where still flying at the club: none

How many of the kids that applied but where unsuccessful applying for the scholarship came back for flying lessons: none

I asked why the school offers the scholarship and the reason was the school got a grant from the state gov. via the lotto. From memory it was $15000 not too sure what the amount was but at the time it sounded like an earner for the club.

I think everyone would be interested to find out how many of those that did a scholarship are still flying. If the RAA took that money and actually promoted learning to fly to people that could afford to go flying it would be a much better result for the industry.

Wrong again FT...these catholic college kids have very monied up parents......

Money isn't the problem for the private school mob, most parents aren't real fussed about after school activities, every afternoon its dragging the kids from one activity to the next. Its ok if you're a stay at home mum but if like most parents these days that work its a real time killer.

Its depressing to see how many 17 year olds now get new cars but you know its because mum just doesn't want to spend time running around after kids.

I've always thought an aircraft in a shopping mall with an instructor promoting the club would be good marketing. Covers most demographics.

A raffle for some free lessons may add some interest and at least get people to stop and have a look.

Perhaps the RAA should help with some of the costs with renting space?

A friend I took flying made a joke about flying/aircraft being like a "drug" subculture. It was there happening in most towns but generally unseen and unknown to the general public. He was amazed at the range of aircraft, trikes and gyros all flying about.

I recommended to a local club that they hook up the CTAF radio channel to speakers out the front as there were always visitors around.

You need to give them a talking point. Something more to spark some interest that hopefully leads to a TIF. I've seen many just stand around looking about, then go home.