jabiru down brisbane

Don't ATSM standards dictate a crash survivability standard?

They specify the same requirement as CAR 3 (the U.S. standard that was superseded in 1965 by FAR 23), i.e. 9 G forward, 3 G upward, 1.5 G sideways.) Was that Jab an LSA version? It looked like an ST3 model to me, and that's not an LSA aircraft.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radio reporting fuel starvation...

I knew it, crankcase bolt failure causing conrods to break through the casings knocking the alternator out shorting the battery stopping the fuel pumps! Another clear case of Jabiru engine failure!

Great result, "any accident you walk away from ..." as they say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I've seen worse , and there flying now ,The windscreen not broken

Starboard wing attachments pulled out; even that's repairable but a new wing would be a better option. Grafting on a new tailcone end - ( you'd even be able to extract the horizontal stabiliser and re-use it) or even putting the somewhat surgically-removed one is no biggie if you make up a jig to get the location correct. The repair techniques do not require sophisticated equipment and can easily be validated by post-repair ultimate load testing - and that can be done using remarkably simple equipment and some care - provided you know what you have to do..

One of the major advantages of Jabiru construction is that it uses a composite lay-up that is extremely damage tolerant and also is repairable to 'as good as new' without requiring autoclaves etc. By comparison, a 'c/f construction' aircraft is a bloody nightmare to both fully inspect for damage without laboratory-class equipment and impossible to repair without very high-tech facilities. Metal construction is inspectable and repairable, but you can't 'cut and shut' all that easily, if major load-carrying members are affected.

Jabs are a bit like Toyota Hilux's - not the most sophisticated but you can't break them irretrievably with less than a seismic event. If you buy Porsche performance, don't be surprised if you have Porsche-sized bills for repairs - and Porsche-sized insurance costs.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2

Running out of fuel at 7:30 am?

I'm not aware of any 'fuel content at AEST rating' - perhaps you could elucidate us all as to why you can't run out of fuel before business hours?

Or is it just possible that these guys took off without adding fuel because the bowser / fuel truck wasn't operating when they took off?

• Like 1

Be interesting to hear what brought it down, surely they replaced the engine after the last "off field landing"

Didn't it have the engine and doors stolen off it at Logan before it could be recovered after the last incident?

• Haha 2

↑[/url]

I've seen worse , and there flying now ,

The windscreen not broken.

ost: 439931, member: 8696"]Starboard wing attachments pulled out; even that's repairable but a new wing would be a better option. Grafting on a new tailcone end - ( you'd even be able to extract the horizontal stabiliser and re-use it) or even putting the somewhat surgically-removed one is no biggie if you make up a jig to get the location correct. The repair techniques do not require sophisticated equipment and can easily be validated by post-repair ultimate load testing - and that can be done using remarkably simple equipment and some care - provided you know what you have to do..

One of the major advantages of Jabiru construction is that it uses a composite lay-up that is extremely damage tolerant and also is repairable to 'as good as new' without requiring autoclaves etc. By comparison, a 'c/f construction' aircraft is a bloody nightmare to both fully inspect for damage without laboratory-class equipment and impossible to repair without very high-tech facilities. Metal construction is inspectable and repairable, but you can't 'cut and shut' all that easily, if major load-carrying members are affected.

Jabs are a bit like Toyota Hilux's - not the most sophisticated but you can't break them irretrievably with less than a seismic event. If you buy Porsche performance, don't be surprised if you have Porsche-sized bills for repairs - and Porsche-sized insurance costs.

Talk about your short answer , long answer.

Is there a name for that ?

Channel 10 news was just on.Apparently they went from Archerfield to Stradbroke Is ( not sure whether they went to just Nth Stradbroke or continued onto Sth Stradbroke) any who, 10 are saying that they reported engine problems. They didn't go into specifics. Good chance it had too much air in the carby going by the above posts.

Didn't it have the engine and doors stolen off it at Logan before it could be recovered after the last incident?

I lived lived in Logan for 15 years so I got a chuckle out of that one! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Like 1

That was some seriously good decision-making and flying, I reckon - I just measured that entire field on Google Earth and it's a bit over 450 metres at the longest axis with mature trees all around, lots of power lines, and just nowhere else to go.

Good reasons not to be there. They might have gotten away with it this time but.....

• Agree 1

Channel 10 news was just on.Apparently they went from Archerfield to Stradbroke Is ( not sure whether they went to just Nth Stradbroke or continued onto Sth Stradbroke) any who, 10 are saying that they reported engine problems. They didn't go into specifics. Good chance it had too much air in the carby going by the above posts.

Update channel 7 , 6 o'clock news. Aircraft flew to Nth Stradbroke Is only. On the return leg to Archerfield, the engine failed . Also they said that it will not be rebuilt. I guess 2 crashes in a year is enough.

Talk about your short answer , long answer.Is there a name for that ?

Sure is - it's called 'amortised operating cost'. If you buy a c/f fantastic and fly it say 100 hours/year, the fact that it cruises at 10 kts faster (in good conditions..) saves you some time per major trip. A typical Jab, cruising at say 95 kts will cover 380 nm in a four hour trip. Be generous, round that out to 400 nm, because Jabs have very decent gust penetration and Vb and and so can maintain cruise speed until it gets very rough.

A c/f vonderkinder cruising at - let's say - 110 kts, will travel 440 nm in a four-hour flight; let's round that out to 465, for the same flight conditions. That's 65 nm further.

For your 100 hours annually, the c/f vunderkinder will travel 1625 nm further.

Can people provide their annual hull insurance costs for - let's say - a J160 vs, say, a Carbon Sting? It'd be interesting to see if the Sting costs are less than $1625 more than a J160.

• Like 1