Chasing better spelling...

To, two, too.

Whether, weather, wether.

Lead. As heavy as lead.(led). I have lead a steer. (Led.) We need someone to lead (leed) us. (English is quiet a stupid language)

I often get my grammar wrong but spelling isn't so bad as spell checker gets most of it. I think grammar is the most important as it helps convey the expression and with our funny language idiosyncrasies (spellchecker spelt at but it looks wrong) a pause (comma) can change the whole meaning of a sentence.

But at the end of the day I don't really mind.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the word ghoti, which is pronounced fish. GH as in rough, O as in women, TI as in position.

That's as bad as some of the Irish names. "Tadhg" (pronounced "Tige" - like "Tiger" without the R), "Siobhan" pronounced "she-vawn", "Niamh" pronounced "neev" and "Aoife" pronounced "ee-fa" were a few we met over there.

Have to say I'm pleased to see so many people with such a passionate interest in spelling and correct usage. Referring to an earlier comment, my old English teacher (to whom I owe a great deal since I grew up in a part of Scotland where our English was not the best) used to say that "got" was not a word. It was/is only necessary to say I have, not I've got.

Have to say I'm pleased to see so many people with such a passionate interest in spelling and correct usage. Referring to an earlier comment, my old English teacher (to whom I owe a great deal since I grew up in a part of Scotland where our English was not the best) used to say that "got" was not a word. It was/is only necessary to say I have, not I've got.

Reckon they use it a bit in German church services...

• Haha 2

Will you please get it!

I got it yesterday!

I have got it!

I had got it but my English Teacher made me give it back!

You could drop the "got" in the last two but that would remove the element of "getting" it as opposed to just having it in your possession.

Was the teacher who taught you English Scottish or did your English Teacher teach you Pictish? Isn't English terrible!

Will you please get it! Will you please fetch itI got it yesterday! I received it yesterday, It arrived yesterday!

I have got it! I have it!

I had got it but my English Teacher made me give it back! I was given it but my teacher made me return it!

You could drop the "got" in the last two but that would remove the element of "getting" it as opposed to just having it in your possession.

Was the teacher who taught you English Scottish or did your English Teacher teach you Pictish? Isn't English terrible!

Teacher was English in Scotland. Love this topic! Interesting aside. Our French teacher was Welsh and could barely understand our accent whilst we likewise had trouble with hers!
  • Haha 1

Teacher was English in Scotland. Love this topic! Interesting aside. Our French teacher was Welsh and could barely understand our accent whilst we likewise had trouble with hers!

Our French teacher was Scottish. Didn't improve our chances either.

rgmwa

...all the more reason for maintaining standard spelling and grammar. Even if we can't understand what they say, at least the written language is the same throughout the planet.

• Agree 1

"I like pleasure spiked with pain and music is my aeroplane, is my aeroplane." (Red Hot Chillie Peppers)

"Give me a ticket for an aeroplane, ain't got time to take a fast train" (Jefferson Airplane)

Aeroplane sounds so much better than Airplane as you can see. Even the band with airplane as part of their name figured that one out. Both are American. Now work that out!

Given that the general direction of both written & spoken English seems to be to contract or abbreviate the language, how has the recent habit of adding superfluous prepositions come about? I find it so annoying to hear (or read) phrases such as " I returned the book back to the library" or "They divided up the food" and so on. The verb 'return' means, in one sense, "to bring back" - so why say 'return back'? To divide something necessarily means to 'split up' - again, the 'up' in the example given earlier is just not needed. Why use more words than you need to? Just return the book or divide the food.

I guess this started with the phrase "include me in". But this was said tongue-in-cheek, as the alternative is clearly to "include me out", which is of course self-contradictory.

Nurse - where's my medication?!

Bruce

• Like 1

Given that the general direction of both written & spoken English seems to be to contract or abbreviate the language, how has the recent habit of adding superfluous prepositions come about? I find it so annoying to hear (or read) phrases such as " I returned the book back to the library" or "They divided up the food" and so on. The verb 'return' means, in one sense, "to bring back" - so why say 'return back'? To divide something necessarily means to 'split up' - again, the 'up' in the example given earlier is just not needed. Why use more words than you need to? Just return the book or divide the food.I guess this started with the phrase "include me in". But this was said tongue-in-cheek, as the alternative is clearly to "include me out", which is of course self-contradictory.

Nurse - where's my medication?!

Bruce

"Include me out" is a quotation from, I think, Sam Goldwyn.

Given that the general direction of both written & spoken English seems to be to contract or abbreviate the language, how has the recent habit of adding superfluous prepositions come about? I find it so annoying to hear (or read) phrases such as " I returned the book back to the library" ...Nurse - where's my medication?! Bruce

Bruce you do not suffer alone; I need medication when I hear "most unique" - as if there are degrees of uniqueness.

'Ough' A Fonetic Fansy

W T Goodge

The baker man was kneading dough

And whistling softly sweet and lough

Yet ever and anon he'd cough

As though his head was coming ough!

'My word!' said he, but this is rough!

This flour is simply awful stough!'

He punched and thumped it through and through

As all good bakers always dough!

'I'd sooner drive', said he, 'a plough,

Than be a baker anyhough!'

Thus spake the baker kneading dough;

But don't let on I told you sough!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 1

• 1 year later...

I for one, don't give a hoot re "spelling", in fact written "modified" can be amusing sometimes, I think more effort is employed to "modify" a word here and there, than actually writing it correctly........( however......."modified spelling" has it's place.......eg, here )

Now the fight begins...........