Back from Oshkosh

Its not just CASA

Agree every work place and govt department now needs two red tape officers for every one safety officer to counter the damage done by beurocrats and OH&S loonies ...

Take this example...I cycle along a divided new piece of highway (which is 90 ??? whole other story) with a 2m edge...its great and very very safe....

But when the council whipper snippers who whipper snip off the edge of the highway and cant even be seen from the road , they shut down a whole lane for over a week ...and the two guys whipper snipping have 3 traffic management guys sitting in a truck bored out of their brains getting paid to oversee the safety of these council people who are further from the road then every road user, cyclist and person that pulls over on their phone...

We really have gone stupid ......and we wonder why everything costs so much..

Im all for safety but we have become so over regulate its insane.... each year when i go to NZ the first thing i notice is that they are both safe and efficient...

Another classic example just yesterday....my wifes car is for sale...so i put a small sticker on it saying for sale...

I parked on a main road edge in a perfectly legal parking space and went into a friends place on that road for 25 minutes... When i returned to my car there is an infringement warning from the local council ranger....threatening a $330 fine the next time my car is seen on a road edge.... Why??....because apparently i have illegal advertising and i am advertising or running a business on council roadside property without a development consent for my ...wait for it "advertising billboard" The sign on my car is less the half an A4 sheet....Apparently now we are so loopy that if you have a for sale sticker on your car you cant park it anwhere??

• Like 2

I did an office induction three weeks ago for a two day visit. The induction took an hour and a half. Among other things we were encouraged to report any staff we saw:

• walking while talking on a phone

• walking and carrying a coffee

• using the stairs without holding the handrail

• plugging in a device such as an iphone charger that didn't have an inspection safety tag

I saw all these things within the first day. Condemn me to hell, but I didn't report them.

• Winner 1

Im all for safety but we have become so over regulate its insane.... each year when i go to NZ the first thing i notice is that they are both safe and efficient...

Another classic example just yesterday....my wifes car is for sale...so i put a small sticker on it saying for sale...

I parked on a main road edge in a perfectly legal parking space and went into a friends place on that road for 25 minutes... When i returned to my car there is an infringement warning from the local council ranger....threatening a $330 fine the next time my car is seen on a road edge.... Why??....because apparently i have illegal advertising and i am advertising or running a business on council roadside property without a development consent for my ...wait for it "advertising billboard" The sign on my car is less the half an A4 sheet....Apparently now we are so loopy that if you have a for sale sticker on your car you cant park it anwhere??

That is crazy. Which jurisdiction is this in??

Agree to all the above, we rented a couple of cars at various places, the speed limit is 70mph on most of the freeways,,,,but if you're not doing at least 80 mph you're being a pest, followed my dad to drop off one renter and as we were late we were poking along at about 90mph, he was shocked to hear that in Vic I would've been arrested, licence suspended on the spot and the car impounded ,,,now I'm all for driving safely but when the cops and cameras( which would last about 30mins in Michigan before they got shot ,,,,the cameras not the cops) will book you for doing 4kmh over the limit in any zone I wonder what we've done to deserve being treated like children.

Something that really stood out at Oshkosh ,if you board a plane at an airport where you have to cross the apron there is barriers and bunting everywhere to keep us "safe" ,and if you try to take a photo of the aircraft ,holy sh1t ! The ground crew will have kittens,,,,,,,Oshkosh ? FedEx rolls up in an A320( I think) pops the doors and lets everyone wander around having a look over it, not screaming security ,barriers , nothing .

The yanks really take their personal freedom serious, and I like it ,it's refreshing !

• Like 2

I did an office induction three weeks ago for a two day visit. The induction took an hour and a half. Among other things we were encouraged to report any staff we saw:

• walking while talking on a phone

• walking and carrying a coffee

• using the stairs without holding the handrail

• plugging in a device such as an iphone charger that didn't have an inspection safety tag

I saw all these things within the first day. Condemn me to hell, but I didn't report them.

You won't catch me doing either of the first two as I have been told I am the sort of person who can't chew gum and walk at the same time........... Something to do with insufficient processing power:puzzled:

• Like 2

SNIP SNIP SNIPAnother classic example just yesterday....my wifes car is for sale...so i put a small sticker on it saying for sale...

Maybe it is because Americans care about other people (maybe because they get shot if they infringe someone else's personal space) than Australians do.

The reason for the ban on car selling on the street is because used car dealers empty their car yards onto the streets during the day. we had a used car lot around the corner from us and it became almost impossible to get a park within 100 metres of our house during the day. When the used car lot started getting pinged by the council rangers they simply removed the "for sale" sign and left them there. If the dealer found a prospect who might be interested they walked them around the corner and did the demo on the street.

Rogues, the yanks might be but they are invariably polite (I get called Sir) and are respectful of the laws and the needs of other people to do their job. I can well understand why twine works in the US whereas a 6' fence in Australia would get stolen.

• Like 1

If your car is legally parked not much council can do about it. Having an A4 poster (private sale)in the rear window is not their business but park it on the footpath, median strip or contrary to notice, then that's what you get booked for.

In construction - the architect used to know the rules for building

Now they can't keep up - so we need more consultants to tell us what we need to do to comply - fire, access, stat authority rules etc etc