Peeing at altitude

Russ

Easy as for me.....just pass " the bottle ".......voice on intercom....darl, I need to pee, reply....only 1 hr to go, hold tight.....intercom again....I reeeelly need to pee...now

( bottles no good for her ) so, now serious looking for a put down place....ASAP.

Ok......bet one or 2 here have had this occurrence, so......who's come up with "the fix" ....for her.

• Helpful 1

As an older pilot, I find that the problem for me is not so much while flying but the moment the master switch is turned off. Suddenly there is an urgent need to get out and go, often right beside the plane and regardless of who might be watching, it is just unavoidable. The other sex has a similar endurance to me but not the on-the-ground urgency.

• Agree 1

My solution is a hornet stol, my first trip to Hillston I was cruising at 6500 and I was more than 20 miles from the closest airstrip AND it was behind me so it was a fasting cruise descent pick a paddock (plenty of paddocks ready for wheat at the time) do a lowish pass check alls good land into wind jump out empty out back in and on my way in just a minute or two.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Andys@coffs
I want one of those, apparently you can go skiing, cycling and mountain climbing if you have one!

strewth....that's a lot of effort just to have a pee....but I bet the owners will be fit little bunnys!

Ive learnt not to drink within an hour of flight and always take a pee within 5 minutes of leaving...works a treat and i can honestly say i have the smallest bladder on this entire forum.....

The only trouble with this is dehydration, people should really be drinking water if on a long Nav. A one hour jolly is Ok, but any longer than that, I reckon dehydration will be setting in, especially if flying at the higher altitudes.

• Agree 3
  • Winner 1

Daz.....agree for sure.

It's the " fix" for her I'm chasing. .......friend mentioned incontinent nappy, as used by some aged folks, apparently widely used in aged homes. Will check this out.

Guest Andys@coffs

What ever the solution can I suggest it has to be in place before you get in the plane.........trying to wiggle around and remove clothes etc in a jabiru is not something I would want to have to do especially if it was bumping around...those female shaped funnels make me giggle...unless you had a hose connected to them and poked out the door into the slipstream so that venturi worked to suck away fluids from the body I could see a real disaster if you happened to hit turbulence at the wrong moment....floppy silicon rubber might be fantastic as the part of the solution that seals against body..... but not the whole thing I reckon..... I could see feet pushing inadvertently on rudder pedals to try and lift up to get clearance......

Bottom line test it out in the aircraft on the ground before trying it in the air and if your other half declares it to be as useful as t!ts on a bull....then best you be ready with an already considered plan B!

My plan B don't plan legs exceeding 2hrs in duration. 2hrs in a jab seat is about as long as you want to go between a walk around...I reckon on 3 to 1...1hr of jab seat = 3hrs of a car seat, after 6hrs in a car you sure want out!

Andy

There are pee bags that turn the urine to gel, sold in 4packs on the Clear Prop store website... This forum's supported by the sales, so buy some.

Why would you want to buy "Gelled Urine", ewwww 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I'm afraid I don't have a solution for Russ or for anyone else for that matter, but considering the subject matter of this thread, I thought I'd throw this in for general information. I'm sure there are other members of this forum in the same boat (aeroplane?). Actually I don't fly any more, so I don't know how it would go in an aircraft.

In post #82 of the thread A Parents Nightmare, I mentioned that I have had cancer surgery. The cancer was in the bladder, which was removed. The actual operation is called Radical Cystectomy with Ileal Conduit Urinary Diversion. For those who are interested, and it is somewhat confronting if you are seeing it for the first time, a detailed explanation can be found here: http://urology.osu.edu/13444.cfm. Consequently I have a substitute external bladder attached to my belly which needs to be drained every 2 - 3 hours. To prevent regular overnight draining, a larger bag with about an 8 hour capacity can be clipped to the drain tap, and lays beside the bed. Images can be seen here: http://dansac.com.au/default.asp?Action=Details&Item=261.

I have a friend who also has the same treatment, and he recently travelled overseas. He said the bags caused no problem on the plane. The overnight bag can be concealed in a pillow case and is unobtrusive.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I don't have a solution for Russ or for anyone else for that matter, but considering the subject matter of this thread, I thought I'd throw this in for general information. I'm sure there are other members of this forum in the same boat (aeroplane?). Actually I don't fly any more, so I don't know how it would go in an aircraft.In post #82 of the thread A Parents Nightmare, I mentioned that I have had cancer surgery. The cancer was in the bladder, which was removed. The actual operation is called Radical Cystectomy with Ileal Conduit Urinary Diversion. For those who are interested, and it is somewhat confronting if you are seeing it for the first time, a detailed explanation can be found here: http://urology.osu.edu/13444.cfm. Consequently I have a substitute external bladder attached to my belly which needs to be drained every 2 - 3 hours. To prevent regular overnight draining, a larger bag with about an 8 hour capacity can be clipped to the drain tap, and lays beside the bed. Images can be seen here: http://dansac.com.au/default.asp?Action=Details&Item=261.

I have a friend who also has the same treatment, and he recently travelled overseas. He said the bags caused no problem on the plane. The overnight bag can be concealed in a pillow case and is unobtrusive.

Just wondering, red750. You say you don't fly any more: would your condition stop you going for a, say, two hour flight?

Probably not. However I had to let my PPL lapse in 1986 because I couldn't afford to put 3 kids through secondary school and fly. Nowadays, a weight of 135 kg and an aged pension for income aren't conducive to committing aviation, either.

Probably not. However I had to let my PPL lapse in 1986 because I couldn't afford to put 3 kids through secondary school and fly. Nowadays, a weight of 135 kg and an aged pension for income aren't conducive to committing aviation, either.

Perhaps someone near Vermont will be kind enough to take you up for a flight once in a while?

I had always assumed that red750 stood for a red CH750 Zenair aircraft. But, because these are only around 4-5 years old at the most, I am obviously incorrect in that assumption.

Ive learnt not to drink within an hour of flight and always take a pee within 5 minutes of leaving...works a treat and i can honestly say i have the smallest bladder on this entire forum.....

The after-effects of prostate cancer require this, also; so the same answer will work for both halves of our team. I carry a travel mug in the car, and sip to prevent dehydration (which is not all that much different to flight, in a car with the aircon on, as it needs to be most of the year in QLD). An insulated cyclist's bottle with Staminade and a length of TYGON tube (don't use PVC) with an end-plug will work in the air, to prevent dehydration; the trick is little & often. I can manage 3 hours in a car, so I expect 2 - hour legs in an aircraft will be OK.