Any Ideas

I may be a little slow, but does this mean that if I give a proper passenger briefing then I can still carry normal passengers, I don't have to make sure they are a pilot or have a ministerial exemption? (this is a genuine query, not a leg pull..)

I may be a little slow, but does this mean that if I give a proper passenger briefing then I can still carry normal passengers, I don't have to make sure they are a pilot or have a ministerial exemption? (this is a genuine query, not a leg pull..)

Yes. Reading the other thread makes it a little clearer. Seems this is an exemption from the rule, it is a bit confusing reading rules then reading all the exemptions and they wonder why we all don't study them from front to back.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Here it is in full save digging around to find it.

KP..

Passenger carriage in seats with dual controls

August 13, 2014 | members

At present CAR 226 (1) © permits a passenger to be carried in a seat with dual controls only if the passenger is an appropriately qualified pilot licence holder, a student or Is authorised by CASA.

226 Dual controls

(1) During flight, a person may occupy a control seat of an aircraft equipped with fully or partially functioning dual controls only if:

(a) the person holds an appropriate pilot licence for the type of aircraft and the class of operations in which the aircraft is flown; or

(b) the person is a student pilot assigned for instruction in the aircraft; or

© the person is authorised by CASA.

Penalty: 25 penalty units.

(2) In authorising a person to occupy a control seat in pursuance of subregulation (1), CASA may grant the authority subject to such conditions as CASA considers necessary in the interests of safety.

(3) A person authorised under paragraph (1)(b) must not contravene a condition subject to which the authority is granted.

Penalty: 25 penalty units.

(4) An offence against subregulation (1) or (3) is an offence of strict liability.

Note: For strict liability , see section 6.1 of the Criminal Code .

An Exemption (EX153-14) has been issued by CASA to formalise RA-Aus Pilot Certificate holders’ ability to carry a passenger in a seat which has dual controls.

Essentially, from members perspective, nothing changes, provided pilots conduct an appropriate passenger briefing including the information in Schedule 2 of the Exemption, that controls are not to be interfered with during a flight, and there is adequate communications possible between pilot and passenger.

CASA have produced an excellent video presentation at the link below

which provides some additional insight into an appropriate passenger brief.Jill BaileyOperations Manager

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Somebody in CASA and RAAus finally twigged that RAAus aircraft only have two seats and have controls for both and the existing rule conflicted with the passenger carrying endo.

I often do not have comms with a passenger but do give a full briefing of what not to touch, and also advise them I have a taser in my pocket so if they do something stupid I will taser them into unconsciousness to ensure I survive the flight.

Couldn't find anything in the Ops manual that says i can't.

• Haha 4
  • Winner 1

Having read all this I don't understand why i need a passenger exemption when flying RAAus registered aircraft but not when I fly GA. Or is there a similar exemption letter covering GA ( which mostly have dual controls)?

Australia, you're standing in it.

Yes, pretty sure there are still countries that would shoot people that come up with inane rubbish like this.

The video forgot to remind the passenger to do a susu (peepee) before boarding.... have to re-shoot.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, pretty sure there are still countries that would shoot people that come up with inane rubbish like this.

Needing qualifications to take a ride in a plane is inane by any standards.

It might be excusable if it was an oddity in Australia but sadly, it's not.