503 Vs 582

Cosmick

I have a 503 in a powered parachute with 160hrs and not a single problem. Usually runs mid 5's to low 6k revs 90% of time. Am looking to extend my rag and tube experience and getting into a drifter. Scouring the internet I see some issues with the 582 crank.

Performance in the drifter would be better with the 582 but how much versus issues.

I'll rephrase, which is more reliable

I'm not really familiar with 503 reliability, however, I have heard of people getting well over double the TBO of 300 hrs on the 582 (I read of one that got over 1200 hrs). The blue head (model 99) has larger crank pins than the grey head (model 90). Personally, I'd go for the 582, liquid cooling make the temps more stable all round, and so maintains optimum operating clearances better.

• Like 1

I've got both, a 582 with 550+ hours and still no rebuild! I'll get 6800rpm but don't go over 6600 where possible, great engine, my Drifter is on floats and goes well on the 582, the 503 needs dual carbs and dual ignition to get best performance, but best results from a 582 or 912 if you can afford it.

On my 582 Drifter / Fisher Mk1, I run a Brolga 4 blade prop fixed pitch and that's what I run at the moment, I have just ordered an inflight electrically adjustable IVO prop, I am expecting slightly better performance and some fuel savings. The 503 runs a 2 blade sweet apple wood prop, ok performance, I have a mate that runs a 503 on his drifter on floats and he struggles to get off the water when there is two people.