Flying Legend Tucano

Admin

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where has the time gone?

Good question. I decided to prep and prime all the interior surfaces, whereas Vans assumes all bare aluminium parts assembled straight out of the box. That alone accounts for a lot of the missing hours. In fact the basic airframe does go together quite quickly, so you initially think you're making good progress. And you are too, but then comes the avionics, running wires, crimping terminals, looking for lost tools, firewall forward installation, engine installation, hoses and engine controls, fuel and brake lines, more wiring, radiators, rigging flying controls, putting extra instruments in the panel, lights, canopy, trial fitting parts, fibreglass work, wheel fairngs, looking for more lost tools, moving stuff around, re-working parts that you messed up, doing up nuts and bolts in impossible places, adjusting stuff you thought was right first time, puzzling over the plans, etc. etc. Not saying it isn't good fun, because I've really enjoyed it and probably wouldn't mind doing it again one day. And to be fair, a few builders claim to have done it in about the estimated hours, but most are well and truly over - and that is for a kit and plans that are probably the best in the business. Building an aircraft is a big job!

rgmwa

• Agree 1

Fully agree - I would say 600 hours will do the structure but you can double that to fit the electrics panel and engine. Its the small jobs that eat the all the time, just chasing the right part takes enough. Having been in the engineering game in a previous life in any project there is no unimportant fitting when its the last one regardless of the total price of the project.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

I have to add the Tucano air frame is alodined and power-coated etc out of the factory - that is in the price and will save a LOT of time as I can go stright to assembly and only need to prime a few small parts in the build.

• Like 2

Van's say the average builder should be able to put an RV-12 together in 700-900 hours. I'm pleased to say that it's taken me about twice that, so I must be well above average. 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gifrgmwa

I have read a number of Vans builds and not many beat 1000 hours for the first 90% ... and then they start on the last 90%.

I keep seeing the Tuccy on the right in the sales advert on the main page when i open the forum, what a stunning looking plane.

I have read a number of Vans builds and not many beat 1000 hours for the first 90% ... and then they start on the last 90%..

For the traditional RV kits, 100o hours only gets you to 50% although you think you've reached the first 90%.

I keep seeing the Tuccy on the right in the sales advert on the main page when i open the forum, what a stunning looking plane.

Agreed. When I order one (just after winning Lotto), it will have to be the retractable gear version with the hotted up Rotax. The raised rear seat is a great idea for a tandem.

rgmwa

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
Van's say the average builder should be able to put an RV-12 together in 700-900 hours. I'm pleased to say that it's taken me about twice that, so I must be well above average. 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gifrgmwa

Bit like golfing really. Why do people try and get a hole in one or go around 9 holes trying to hit the ball the least? Where's the value in that? You pay big money in fees, clubs, balls etc, I reckon you should take at least 10 swings per hole to get your moneys worth......

Thats why my plane took me 6 yrs and 900hrs to build:pizza:

• Haha 1

Bit like golfing really. Why do people try and get a hole in one or go around 9 holes trying to hit the ball the least? Where's the value in that? You pay big money in fees, clubs, balls etc, I reckon you should take at least 10 swings per hole to get your moneys worth......Thats why my plane took me 6 yrs and 900hrs to build:pizza:

As a fellow builder, I like your attitude. Assembling every part 10 times over in 6 years to make sure you get your moneys worth shows real dedication. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

rgmwa

• Agree 1

Wasn't there a bloke in the states that spent 15 years scratch building a full size P-51B with Allison engine from original plans.

Apparently he also made enough parts to build 10 or so more aircraft.

Wouldn't have needed to work again........just unfortunate he was killed in the original one......

Most of it goes on improvements, Everybody who has pointed a rivet gun at an airframe has come up with better ways to do things. Pity is they take a while to develop.

"Paralysis by Analysis" is the correct term.

Interesting how each colour scheme gives each plane such an individual look.

I am refering to the emphasis of the various shapes of the plane and how the general impression of size changes.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

110 for me once dressed... a bit less starkers...

Most people tend to well underestimate my weight tho since my build actually fits my weight. I was 85Kg once after my first year of flatting alone at uni. bad cooking and unhealthy diet meant I lost weight, and while I was down to a so-called "healthy" weight, I looked bloody gaunt.

• Informative 1