Oil pressure sensor (again)

geoffreywh

Servicing a Rotax engine, noticing low oil pressure...Seems I need to fit another oil pressure sensor. That's got to be the third one in a year or so. Does anybody know of a better version? The damn VDO ones are just so prone to failure...Even on their website they say "Not suitable for aircraft engines. Due to pulsing oil pressure which leads to contacts wearing out " ....Surely someone makes a better mousetrap....(and don't call me shirley)

Is yours mounted on the engine? A number of RV-12's have had the same issue but moving the sender back to the firewall seems to fix the problem. The thinking was that vibration was causing them to fail. The remote mounting kit is available from Lockwood: https://www.lockwood.aero/p-2213-flight-design-ct-pressure-relocation-kit.aspx

rgmwa

• Like 1
  • Informative 2
  • Caution 1

Is yours mounted on the engine? A number of RV-12's have had the same issue but moving the sender back to the firewall seems to fix the problem. The thinking was that vibration was causing them to fail. The remote mounting kit is available from Lockwood: https://www.lockwood.aero/p-2213-flight-design-ct-pressure-relocation-kit.aspxrgmwa

....and that applies to all pressure sensors & Fuel Flow units ie don't mount then directly to the engine due the damage that high frequency vibrations can do. BTW if you have a Dynon EMS system with the VDO sensors then I'd change them over to the much better more accurate Kavlico ones.

Jake J

• Informative 2

Er ???

Both SLSA and Type Certified can be 24 Reg. As you may be aware, the process for changing something and keeping 24 Reg is different.

Anyway, I visited Bert Flood's and they have an alternate type for the 912

We had issues with the oil pressure sender but once replaced has not been an issue (cross fingers) since. Not a good feeling to look at the oil pressure gauge and have it reading into the red. Tempting to fly to the nearest airport listening very hard to the engine and keeping an eye out for forced landing sites.

Worse would be to have it reading normal and not actually having good oil pressure.

Is the alternate type mounted on the engine or remotely?

Servicing a Rotax engine, noticing low oil pressure...Seems I need to fit another oil pressure sensor. That's got to be the third one in a year or so. Does anybody know of a better version? The damn VDO ones are just so prone to failure...Even on their website they say "Not suitable for aircraft engines. Due to pulsing oil pressure which leads to contacts wearing out " ....Surely someone makes a better mousetrap....(and don't call me shirley)

Geoffreywh, this is a generalisation & doesn't necessarily apply to your situation.

As an aside - how many check that what the gauge reads is accurate ? Oh yeah I forgot, someone said to me once that it's a new one (temperature) so must be ok 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif That guy went to a lot of trouble modifying the cowls, filling gaps, installing a bigger oil cooler & then had dual coolers fitted:doh: Turns out the EMS was overreading by 20 degrees C due to a 'bug' in the software, software fixed & problem went away & using only 1 cooler in the end.

Moral of the story - don't fix a problem by replacing parts (unless they are obviously broken), confirm that what you are seeing is true by using some other method eg calibrated instruments:cheezy grin:

Jake J

• Like 2

How about fitting a known mechanical gauge and testing? That should do it.......................................... The new sender( sensor, engine mounted) appears to be a Honeywell product and is very expensive. It has a 10 x 1 thread , so will require surgery to fit earlier models...If it stops the problem then OK.....

Bugger. The solid state sensor does not work with earlier gauges. and 10 x 1 thread , so remove oil pump housing tap hole to 10 x 1 and refit. Now I have to find a correct gauge... A modern stepper motor type I'll be bound.......Also expensive... Why O why can't I fit a mechanical gauge. Job finished in 20 minutes. $fifty bucks..... At this rate the job will cost more than a $1000 (really, no kidding!)