Dual sticks for Savannah's

Kyle Communications

has anyone out there got a factory fitted dual control system . I know Blair Rowan had it done on his first S model but the sticks were way too close to the crotch for my liking but that can be modified. I am looking seriously and converting mine to dual sticks as I do sit slightly shifted on my bum when flying due to my large size...I reckon if the stick was between the legs I wouldn't get the sore right bum bone after and hour or more of flying. Removable stick or fold down would be a consideration as well. I found some mods done by others attached are a couple of pics and a video

dualsticks2.jpg.6f4613b4c634795f422dd62d4d7cfc66.jpg

dualsticks5.JPG.e56bdc07bb1aae59d94b7fae9ad137f9.JPG

dualsticks4.JPG.995065a31f0b8bb1e57d5c7dd1b1187f.JPG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I am looking at it Hank is one of pure comfort for long flights. In the current config my right leg is slightly shifted to the left when flying straight and level. After about an hour of flying my right bum bone if you want to call it that starts to get sore. It is obviously got something to do with offsetting my right hip a little bit. Even in the XL ...it would be far worse in a VG. Its only been a problem since starting to do 1 to 2 hr nonstop flights. If I can shift the stick to the middle of my legs then I can sit straight and I should be able to fly for many hours non stop. There are a few options but I want to keep it so the centre stick can be used or a between the legs stick can be used as well. Either stick will be removable so you can have it either way. Ken from Kilcoy did it a simple way but the stick does lay over a bit during aileron control pics are attached. He has a old VG and he has a crook back and hip as well I think and this solved his issue. I would like to make the stick control more symmetrical I am getting together a model of the current control setup and mating wall so will be able to make up a demo to prove the theory. I will post some pics she I have it sorted

IMG_0811_2.jpg.45ac8e468fecd3bf3e99314725d740a0.jpg

IMG_0809_2.jpg.3d55e14d278bef31e079d32d97badbb2.jpg

IMG_0812_2.jpg.7119454545aaabba89cf535d88e36770.jpg

Mark, I have found the center stick is much more user friendly when it comes to writing entries and notes to a flight plan and also map reading as you can have either in your lap without bumping or interfering with the control stick.

Jim G

• Agree 1

It would also be worthwhile investigating dual yokes instead of floor mounted sticks if you are going to that complexity.

A Yoke gives you the ability to use your knees as JimG mentioned, have a clipboard for smaller notes on the yoke, and get in and out a lot easier.

• Like 1

Is it Dark blue and Dark Grey with swirl decals on each side?

Nope. This one is blue with white belly. Was online with Lilydale Flying School, had a landing accident last year, insurance opted to provide a new fuselage, owner opted for dual controls in it. I did the repair at AvServe, Coldstream. Aircraft is now back at Lilydale, however I think the owner has been a bit busy with work and has not yet placed it back online with the flying school.

The centre stick is fine for short flights for me up to an hour but after that there is too much pain....yokes would be way to difficult for a savannah control system

I have a few ideas spinning around in my head will make some test samples up and see how they go. For a start though that extension stick idea would be a good trial even if it does go a little lop sided

Mark

Thats why I changed the geometry on the flap lever...stick length isn't a issue just make it to suit. It will have to have some sort of gooseneck on it as the only real way to put in a second mechanism at least for the pilot it will have to be close to the front wall to be the same as the centre operation. I am thinking of a removable centre stick and just a between the legs pilot control stick. Both just plug in using the quick lock pins in that 701 video I posted. Once I set that up for the centre stick I might do that one like Ken did and plug it i and see how it goes. But I think I will make another setup directly underneath the pilot

Mark

Kyle

Were you flying out of Caboolture this morning at about 0900. There was a Savannah that looked a lot like your avatar taking off as I headed out on my second nav flight.

Cheers Geoff

• Helpful 1

No it washt me geoff....it would be Danny leach..Dan3111 on this forum. He rebuilt a savannah VG and made it have a XL nose on it...infact he used my smashed cowl which he put a heap of work into to get it back to size and shape the one that came off mine when the girlfriend had her mishap late last year. His is painted very similar to mine. Good to know Danny has been sneaking away from work to get some flying in. if it was orange with white ticks that is Neil.... ballpoint249 on this forum...there are currently 10 savannah flying out of YCAB.....they are like ar*seholes....everyone has one 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif just shows how good they are to have so many around....mind you only 1 of those 10 are factory built the rest are all home builds

Mark

No it washt me geoff....it would be Danny leach..Dan3111 on this forum. He rebuilt a savannah VG and made it have a XL nose on it...infact he used my smashed cowl which he put a heap of work into to get it back to size and shape the one that came off mine when the girlfriend had her mishap late last year. His is painted very similar to mine. Good to know Danny has been sneaking away from work to get some flying in. if it was orange with white ticks that is Neil.... ballpoint249 on this forum...there are currently 10 savannah flying out of YCAB.....they are like ar*seholes....everyone has one 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif just shows how good they are to have so many around....mind you only 1 of those 10 are factory built the rest are all home buildsMark

That would have taken some doing considering the XL is about 100 mm wider than the VG!