Dual sticks for Savannah's

Kyle Communications

Yes the twins are safe now

I made the pilots stick a slightly lesser angle and now its perfect. I had fitted it all with the new sticks and found that at full up elevator the aileron control was a little restricted and also it was quite stiff. This was due to the angles of all the rods and ball links all going back to the bellIMG_2064_1.jpg.7fd70e9eb6e7de81b059908b20076a69.jpg

crank horn at the bottom that the control rod that goes to the bellcarank inside was too far forward. So I got inside under the hatch and adjusted the slider plates on the control cables to the internal bell crank to bring that horn in a little at full up elevator. Then it was just a matter of adjusting the small rod at the front of the whole mechanism to bring the sticks back to the position I wanted then when flying straight and level. There is now full and free movement at full up and full down elevator also no restriction of any movement.

In doing this though I found it was a pain to get the quick release pin lined up and also it was catching on the PTT cable going the centre so I turned up 2 bushes to go though the alu coupler and made then a interference fit put the coupler back in the lathe and faced them off to suit the shaft. This way the pin never touches the PTT wire and also I made a entering pin at the front so now when the stick goes in it then slides into the locator at the front and when fully in the release pin lines up perfectly and goes straight in. Another thing was I also hold the coupler on the 3 sides now instead of the two and now the screws do up really well and do not come loose.

The pictures should tell the story. I am very happy now with the installation. I just need to fit the 2 sticks again and then get the L2 to sign off and into the sky again

Mark

IMG_2060_1.jpg.a4de7d5c0722cabfe71b562811e8447c.jpg

IMG_2061_1.jpg.db22dda8b2092867c712502238d209b1.jpg

IMG_2069_1.jpg.cc555e082d5920003cde1cb66fc27917.jpg

IMG_2068_1.jpg.c986a98f64a625777d6900d87adcc547.jpg

IMG_2065_1.jpg.5d66febbb2727c39184293c14f2785b2.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I changed the separation connectors for the PTT wires on both sticks to a smaller type which fitted much better inside the sticks. Made a teflon spacer for the quick release pin so it is very positive when inserted and the right length to the ball releases. Everything is now back in the only thing I need to do is make up a cover for the centre bell crank so nothing can get caught underneath it. The one supplied didn't fit well enough for my liking. Just waiting for my L2/Instructor to get back from holidays to sign off on the mods and then go for a fly with him seeing its been a while since I have flown also need to get used to the new controls then do a BFR and I am ready for some long distance stuff. The last job after getting this done is to install the new dash I have made up but will be putting a few hours on her first

Mark

IMG_2089_1.jpg.268dec15593642b4f8acacf227436c54.jpg

IMG_2086_1.jpg.cd9be8ee34b265fbda3d9eec5becfe7a.jpg

IMG_2085_1.jpg.f75aaa5f593a8cf34f3b89cc3e93f4df.jpg

IMG_2088_1.jpg.250828bfabeba02e3a67bac71e96cd6e.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The cover that was supplied by ICP to cover the yoke at the bottom of the controls didn't fit so if something was on the floor of the aircraft would not get stuck under the yoke and stop control of the aircraft. I made a new one also a little wider to cover the large hole in the floor former that the control rod and yoke go through. I made it up from the spare 6061 I cut out from the wing skins when I added the extra fuel tanks. It fits like a dream all I need to do is put some rivnuts in the bottom mounts so I can remove it easily to inspect the controls and then I think I will carpet it as well

Mark

IMG_2116.JPG.50c39b4273bd9ebfc4b321de5f2d3218.JPG

IMG_2113.JPG.e19fae34b0fd20c0cd05b7cde3935675.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG.90ef897358c9ace590f683b864b2a1d9.JPG

• Like 2

It looks different now I did the final fitting this morning it is now covered by carpet it actually looks pretty good. It doesn't encroach on my right leg at all so I will make a add on to the front of it like a map holder to stand things into..a nice pocket so it will have a few uses instead of just a cover

• Like 1

Dennis

I am blessed though where I work now I have guillotines and folders and every type of welding and cutting equipment all that I can use when I want. As well as the transformer workshop and the salt water pool chlorinators we design and make we make 3 phase and single phase big cathodic protection systems that power wharves and pipelines big stuff like 15 volts at 1500 amps. All thyristor switched of the mains supply. We also make all the enclosures for these units be it stainless or alu thats why we have a big sheet metal shop as well

Mark

• Like 1

Well finally all the stars aligned and the weather wasn't crappy...just stinking hot making YCAB about 2000 ft DA

Bill came around this arvo and inspected the dual stick installation and we jumped in her to test fly the new sticks also to do my BFR. All I can say is I am sooooooo happy I did this the plane is a dream to fly now. The stick is nice and sensitive but feels really solid in the air. The height I have set it is just right for me. Bill tried it for him and he just needs a lower grip down the handle for his comfort but he also liked it as well. it is certainly much better than the std factory sticks. The std factory sticks are quite short also they are way too far into your crotch. These are just fantastic. Even with all the flying and touch and go's my backside didn't even have a twinge at all. One other ting I noticed what keeping the ball in the dead centre was a lot easier and both feet are now parallel not skewed slightly so flying straight is so much easier.

The upshot of all this is that now I can start doing longer distance flying without looking for somewhere to land because of the pain in the bum

Mark

• Like 1

Well that is the angle coming from the base of the control....I gather you haven't seen the std ICP sticks they are horrible...I can't get any more than half up elevator it is up against my guts...so they have to come up a bit to allow me to make the quick disconnect system then the tube goes forward to make the sticks a lot further forward and I can get full movement without coming anywhere near my stomach...also protects jim and the twins...they got lifted and separated with the std sticks

• Informative 1

Yes they are way too short also even in level flight.Bill said he flew it and it was very heavy on the stick. Mine are nice and light. Mine maybe a funny shape but pretty much perfect for everyone of any shape and size