100LL or Mogas

stevron

As far as I know the majors don't add ethanol to anything other than E10. Some of the minors use ethanol to boost octane to 95 or 98. I asked a couple of garages about sales of 98 and they told me 98 outsells everything but 91 (no ethanol) which surprised me greatly. We use 98 for our Rotax 912ULS and it was important for me to know that the 98 was "fresh". Seems fresh it is but then we leave it in the tank for weeks at a time.

Years ago Shell Optimax 98 was awful unless you were running the engine hard. Tended to foul plugs at low revs and certainly did that on my Honda VFR750 when I had a 50 km run in heavy rain through Sydney traffic (City to Eastern Ck and return). I think it is a lot better these days. But I prefer BP 98 and happy to use Caltex 98 as well. NO problems ever with either.

I read something just recently suggesting 95 was the least likely to be contaminated with octane boosting aromatics, etc.

I keep looking at the 75 cents per litre difference between ULP and avgas but have stuck with the latter.

On my recent trip to Alice Springs and return I paid as little as $2.11 (Swan Hill) and as much as $2.80 at Cadney HS. There is no fuel at Oodnadatta now which is a bit of a bummer, but Leigh Creek has a new cardswipe bowser.

Kaz

• Like 1

Bedourie airstrip is only a short distance out of the town if you are after mogas. You would need to check with Diamintina Shire to make sure that ULP is available rather than Opal.

If you are after avgas you are stuck with the majors and its a good idea to phone and make sure before you depart. Roma is a BP carnet only. Charleville accepts credit card. Qulpie has no fuel. Windorah is a credit card. They are all security controlled but the only places I had to show my ASIC recently was at Alice and Ayers Rock where they are very strict.

Kaz

• Informative 1

Opal? Just looked it up. I was aware of why it was introduced but knew nothing of its fuel properties. Just looked it up and only 91 RON and therefore unsuitable for my Rotax. There might not be much call for high octane (95/98) fuels in the bush.

always used from the local Caltex. Tested every time, never a problem with 98. I did pick up fuel from (mogas) from Packsaddle roadhouse and Cameron corner last year. Both tested free of ethanol (again 98 octane) (I am running a rotax 582 2 stroke with oil injection).

nope, just water and ethanol (ethanol testing is simple, and should be done by all people using mogas before any fuel goes into the tank.)

Some may know the method, but how are you testing for Ethanol?

You may need a gasohol type fuel tester. Add water to the prescribed level, then add fuel to prescribed level. Shake, and let contents settle. If "water" level has increased, then you know there is alcohol in the fuel as it has now mixed with the water. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Opal? Just looked it up. I was aware of why it was introduced but knew nothing of its fuel properties. Just looked it up and only 91 RON and therefore unsuitable for my Rotax. There might not be much call for high octane (95/98) fuels in the bush.

Sadly, the original Opal was basically avgas and very usable. The it changed; probably to reduce cost.

Some people are reluctant to put Opal in their motor vehicles because of perceived impurities and potential for damage but I know some guys touring outback in Savs, etc have been using it and report no problems...probably shandied with 98.

Kaz

You may need a gasohol type fuel tester. Add water to the prescribed level, then add fuel to prescribed level. Shake, and let contents settle. If "water" level has increased, then you know there is alcohol in the fuel as it has now mixed with the water. Hope this helps.

Instead of a Gasohol type fuel terster, a jar (clear plastic, pour some water in it - about 1/4, mark the water level with a texta/sharpy pen, and then fill with fuel. Shake the container and any ethanol will be absorbed into the water and show an increase in the water level. Any increase in water level negates the fuel as far as I'm concerned. Works for me..

• Agree 1

Don, 95 and 98 are readily available fuel in the bush. I have bought mogas for my aircraft in outback towns and roadhouses and most are 95 or 98.

• Informative 1
  • Caution 1

Don, 95 and 98 are readily available fuel in the bush. I have bought mogas for my aircraft in outback towns and roadhouses and most are 95 or 98.

In much of Central Australia and surrounding remote areas, especially in communities, Opal is the only fuel available. It was mandated in response to the terrible incidence of petrol sniffing that was occurring in remote communities with attendant brain damaged children.

Health providers estimate about 90% of petrol stations in Central Australia stock Opal fuel currently. The Aboriginal-owned Alice Springs Caltex station only sells Opal fuel, and distributes to communities from the Western Australian coast to the Queensland border, and north to Tennant Creek.

The station says low-aromatic petrol has made a difference to the level of petrol sniffing in remote communities, and has given evidence to the Senate Committee on this matter.

You won't find it in Victoria, NSW or most of Queensland but it is the common fuel in remote NT and Western Australia.

Kaz

Years ago Shell Optimax 98 was awful.... But I prefer BP 98 and happy to use Caltex 98 as well.

All major brands from the same tanks now (same - same). Some of the smaller brands add fillers. We no longer make this stuff, it all comes from Asia which is, of course, completely insane. See how that works out for Oz when conflict next comes to SE Asia....

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

I've run BP 98 in my 912 uls with no issues for about a year and a half, on a recent trip I was only able to get 91 for one leg ( noccundra - windorah) I rang Bert Floods before I left to see if it would be okay to use an octane booster, answer was " no additives, just don't run it hard and keep and eye on the temps" , I used less than full power on take off and kept the cruise at 4600 , no probs, although I did find some crap in the gascolator which I'm assuming came from the tanks at the servo,

• Informative 1

Appreciate the response Kaz!

I'm not planning on avoiding the majors, I need additional stops due to MTOW limitations.

I can use both Avgas & Mogad and I also have all the necessary cards :-)

I know what you mean, Ben.

I can only hold 120 litres so it all goes quiet after just 0330. I had to plan the last stage in and out of Alice recently through Cadney Homestead because I couldn't make either Coober Pedy or William Creek without another drink.

This means I am looking for fuel after just 2.5 hours @100knots

Have a great trip

Kaz

• Like 1

S

I know what you mean, Ben.

I can only hold 120 litres so it all goes quiet after just 0330. I had to plan the last stage in and out of Alice recently through Cadney Homestead because I couldn't make either Coober Pedy or William Creek without another drink.

This means I am looking for fuel after just 2.5 hours @100knots

Have a great trip

Kaz

Sounds expensive at $2.80 ltr!