CASA says phones OK on take off and landing

Arron25

Australian air passengers may soon be relieved of the absurd regulations that say electronic devices must be switched off during take off and landing.

Australia’s Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) has issued a bulletin which says something we all know – that ‘personal electronic devices’ (PEDs) such as phones and Kindles are OK to use during all phases of flight

http://www.itwire.com/government-tech-news/technology-regulation/65173-casa-says-phones-ok-on-take-off-and-landing

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/lib100247/003.pdf

• Informative 1

What a shame, it was always a bonus to have phones switched off during commercial flights, now every Tom, Dick and Harry will be on their phone for the entire flight annoying the crap out of everyone within earshot.

I for one will be leaving mine off.

• Agree 4

I often feel sorry for the flight attendants who have to stand up and give the safety demo in front of an audience which is disinterested and in some cases arrogantly so. I figured that turning off electronic devices during take off and landing would at least give the cabin crew an opportunity to heard. I can well imagine that during an evac there would be passengers to busy doing there stuff on their e-device despite being in the exit row.

I think, as a pilot, I would be a little pissed off if my passenger gave me the bird as I was attempting to give the passenger and safety brief.

If the passengers can't give the crew a little respect as they go about their job maybe they should be out on the ground walking to their destination.

What a shame, it was always a bonus to have phones switched off during commercial flights, now every Tom, Dick and Harry will be on their phone for the entire flight annoying the crap out of everyone within earshot.I for one will be leaving mine off.

Good for you.

Of note is the unlikeliness of having service at 40k feet, in a heavily insulated and shielded metal tube over the outback. notwithstanding the fact that you still have to have the device in Flight mode.

As per usual, we whinge about CASA, and when they finally do something sensible, people still aren't happy.

Please remember "Airline transportation is still and always will be the most constrained form of travel since slave ships"

NOW,, SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, BUCKLE UP, AND HANG ON!

But wait, there's even more exciting news!

Jetstar and Tiger are having charging ports fitted to all seats, and it's only another 20 bucks to charge your phone in-flight +the usual credit card charges for the convenience, of course.

Virgin have been more generous, in that no charges will apply, if you use a Virgin Mobile sim.

• Haha 1