Mid-flight incident forces pilot to make emergency landing

You are just trying to piss off the spelling police, right?

Guilty as charged! But, I still want to hear the passenger side of the story. As for the pilot in command, that must have been a very scary thing...

• Agree 5

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guilty as charged! But, I still want to hear the passenger side of the story. As for the pilot in command, that must have been a very scary thing...

I agree and the pilot looked like he is a slight build. He would be lucky to be 55 kg dripping wet. Also if he is right handed like normal people, err, I mean the majority. He would find it very difficult to punch the pax as he is flying from the left seat.He would have to punch old mate with his left hand.

I agree and the pilot looked like he is a slight build. He would be lucky to be 55 kg dripping wet. Also if he is right handed like normal people, err, I mean the majority. He would find it very difficult to punch the pax as he is flying from the left seat.He would have to punch old mate with his left hand.

That is exactly why I suggested the application of right elbow, If he tried to punch old mate he would very likely end up punching himself.

• Agree 1

I'm big. I am rather strong. I too have pondered what I would do to an idiot mate who did something like this thinking it was funny.

I won't share the method I suspect I would use to resolve the problem, on account of it being admittedly brutal, even if justified.

Must have been weird to punch up an 82 year old paster !

Having had 50 years under his belt he might have thought he could do it better ! Or .....

The pilot probly got tired of the old bloke telling him "BALL in the middle !! and wapped him one .

• Agree 1
  • Haha 4

I was once asked to give a special needs kids a flight, I kinda just let it go as I was never comfortable with having him near the controls, maybe I was to careful but I just didn't feel comfortable about taking him up on my own, I'm pretty strong so I wouldn't get over powered but it would be hard to bring him back battered n bleeding.

Guest Andys@coffs

How about this for a scenario.....

Artery disease...add some O2 reduction due altitude and suddenly you have circulatory insufficiency.....what will that do to old mate? Any Dr's in the know here?

Personally I suspect that an 82yr old is likely not overly strong and you probably wouldn't have to be Bruce Lee to subdue him....of course whether you could or couldn't do what was needed is very much the question if violence has never been part of your life as would be the case for the vast majority of pilots I'd guess......

I feel very sorry for the PIC in this case, flying's hard enough without something like that thrown into the mix! I wonder how psychologically he will be impacted....probably not easy to put that behind you.

I also feel very sorry for the 82yr old, if it was a transient episode, then it will be a huge impact on him for his remaining time...although it may well result in a diagnosis when he may well have known something was a bit wrong for some time, and like most males hadn't yet risen to the likely to kill me in the next 24hrs so I guess I better begrudgingly see a dr. I suspect a prosecution would be in no-ones interest, but I guess that will be up to the insurance company....after all it's their mess to clean up.

Andy

How about this for a scenario.....Artery disease...add some O2 reduction due altitude and suddenly you have circulatory insufficiency.....what will that do to old mate? Any Dr's in the know here?

Personally I suspect that an 82yr old is likely not overly strong and you probably wouldn't have to be Bruce Lee to subdue him....of course whether you could or couldn't do what was needed is very much the question if violence has never been part of your life as would be the case for the vast majority of pilots I'd guess......

I feel very sorry for the PIC in this case, flying's hard enough without something like that thrown into the mix! I wonder how psychologically he will be impacted....probably not easy to put that behind you.

I also feel very sorry for the 82yr old, if it was a transient episode, then it will be a huge impact on him for his remaining time...although it may well result in a diagnosis when he may well have known something was a bit wrong for some time, and like most males hadn't yet risen to the likely to kill me in the next 24hrs so I guess I better begrudgingly see a dr. I suspect a prosecution would be in no-ones interest, but I guess that will be up to the insurance company....after all it's their mess to clean up.

Andy

you're right: the 82yo was (at least on this occasion) clearly beyond understanding consequences.... prosecution would serve no-one's interests; one thing is sure: he'll never fly again.

but I guess that will be up to the insurance company....after all it's their mess to clean up.

CASA - it was a commercial flight, all those offences of strict liability to work with, and could also be police matter. for the passenger.

I'm ambidextrous...unfortunately, I had to relinquish the .38 and ASP baton".........But I still have the handcuffs, Kaz

My eyes are starting to water.

It used to be mandatory to carry a hand gun if there was a dog on board

• Caution 1

I was once asked to give a special needs kids a flight, I kinda just let it go as I was never comfortable with having him near the controls, maybe I was to careful but I just didn't feel comfortable about taking him up on my own, I'm pretty strong so I wouldn't get over powered but it would be hard to bring him back battered n bleeding.

Don't underestimate the strength of special needs kids...my sister in law can't talk or remember to much...but she could knock someone out from the command seat of an aeroplane and pitch for the Yankees.

• Agree 2

nothing on atsb.gov.au just yet, but i know I'll be watching for it!

Has it passed through anyones mind yet that there may have been a malfunction with this plane whilst in flight & if so, the old christian pilot passengers reflexes have kicked in instantly with his years of aviation knowledge & experience & has attempted to tell the young rookie pic who probably thinks he knows everything at his age what to do & the pic has rejected the offer of assistance, as no doubt the old passenger has wanted to live out a few more days on this planet rather than meeting his MAKER yesterday, & after all the commotion that went on within the cockpit, the pic still had no option but to make an emergency landing as best he could which he performed satisfactorily, so that both the pic & passenger have survived.

Just heard that the passenger has no recollection of the incidence , doctors are examining him for old-timers .abc 24 news. ( sorry Dazza )

I am currently in a tractor at work and I heard the ABC Southern QLD news as well. Interesting that the only thing he remembers was firstly they were about to head into clouds, then the next thing he remembers was sitting in the cockpit on the ground with blood all over him.

That is exactly why I suggested the application of right elbow, If he tried to punch old mate he would very likely end up punching himself.

A right handed, backhand karate chop over the offending persons arms works wonders - forced to do it when a, (Caucasian), RH pax grabbed the controls of a C185 on final to Efogi (PNG). One strip where you don't need earthly physical help - just some from above! In a desperate situation - over the bridge of the nose would be the go - and it seems this might have been the reaction here.

Poor old bugga - can't help feeling sorry for his breakdown. Am wondering just how thorough the passenger briefing was in this case. Might have been rather cursory because the young pilot deferred a bit to the older persons flying experience. It's probably smart to over-emphasise the 'hands off controls' section with anyone who has pilot experience. I'm also inclined to lock their seat back a couple positions so they are not 'over' the yoke, and their feet are not on the rudder pedals because they can't reach them.

All's well that ends well, and probably a few lessons to be learned from it. happy days,

• Like 1

Just heard that the passenger has no recollection of the incidence , doctors are examining him for old-timers .abc 24 news. ( sorry Dazza )

I wonder if hypoxia was getting to the 82-year old?

• Agree 1

Update From ABC News

Fly Safe

R W :rotary:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-27/man-charged-after-in-flight-emergency-in-nsw/5701500

Man charged after in-flight drama forced emergency landing in Oberon

Updated about an hour agoWed 27 Aug 2014, 7:08pm

Photo: Les Nixon, 82, has been charged with prejudicing the safe operation of an aircraft. (Outback Patrol)

Map: Oberon 2787

An elderly passenger has been charged after allegedly trying to take control of a light plane during a flight across regional New South Wales.

Police said the pilot was forced to make an emergency landing after restraining passenger Les Nixon, 82, who had chartered the Monday afternoon flight from Bankstown to Cowra.

James Chandler, 23, landed in a paddock in Oberon, in the state's central west.

Nixon was flown to Sydney's Westmead Hospital, where he was treated for cuts to his head.

He was still wearing his hospital gown when police took him to Parramatta Police Station and charged him with prejudicing the safe operation of an aircraft.

Mr Chandler was treated in hospital for a knee injury and shock.

His father Paul Chandler said the family was "enormously proud" of the way the young pilot handled the situation.

"He's an outstanding young man and with a professionalism and maturity far beyond his years," he said.

Basair Aviation College's managing director David Trevelyan said Mr Chandler had only two years' flying experience.

"He did an excellent job," Mr Trevelyan said.

"I think it was an amazingly difficult scenario he was in and he conducted himself very professionally."

Nixon is due to appear in the Parramatta Local Court on September 29.