WATTsUP

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant find it now becuase I have fairly limited internet access but I saw another article on this particular aircraft that suggested operator changable battery packs were part of the design.

The biggest problem I see with this plane is the resale as technology improves it could tend to get left behind as do many truely innovative designs.

Cheers Geoff13

Yea , i think your right there ,

Ive got a couple of concepts on the drg. Board for all electric single seater ,

and the avocet has the potential to be a hybrid , ( plenty of room ) but i dont think it'll get into RAA ,

mtow 750 kgs , unless the batteries become lighter .

Ive been waiting with anticipation for the batt technology to catch up with ambition !

Cheers mike

Guest Andys@coffs

you can buy "there" right now! "almost there" you can merely dream about, but no more or less than you can dream about "not even close yet"

When you finally get to "there" never buy ver 1.0 of "there" because 1.0 often promises "there" but in reality is still only "almost there" ver 1.2 is usually pretty safe, the fact that there have been 2 upgrades means that "there" is close enough for the majority of owners to pronounce that "there" really is "there" and the manufacturers haven't given up on achieving "there". After ver 1.3 there is a real risk of version 2.0 and the cycle starts all over again except that we are now beyond "there" and have increased the scope of "there" to be more expensive than what is really needed and for the more expensive bits they may still only be "almost there" or worse they may have broken previous "there" features so they no longer are!

It will still be about the weight of the battery's , Are those billions going towards light weight alternatives ? I hope so .Exciting times on the electric horizon . .

One thing that has never been mentioned is that the weight of a battery stays the same for the duration of the flight. A typical RA Aus plane may lose 30 or 40 kg in weight over a good cruise which effectively lengthens the range somewhat. Electric powered planes don't have this advantage.

Not long ago we Apple disciples were constantly told the company was going out backwards. Then Steve Jobs returned, like a Messiah and soon the company had more cash than the US government. Have faith, but be ready for constant change.

The biggest problem for the electric aircraft is the "fencing wire and chewing gum" crowd, who won't let go of the tin and string technology

You mean regulators. And also in this case those that sell the bits and bobs, like ICE consumables.

I suspect the current restrictions are set in place to allow someone like google the time to develop the technology so that when the airspace is "deregulated" google will have a market ready solution.

I suspect the current restrictions are set in place to allow someone like google the time to develop the technology so that when the airspace is "deregulated" google will have a market ready solution.

This may well be the case, FT. I hope Google uses their multi-billion dollar cash pile to develop state of the art battery technology that can be used in a multitude of applications such as tablets, mobile phones, light aeroplanes and motor vehicles.

In the last few years there have been prototypes like the Yuneec. Lots of noise, then I go to Oshkosh this year and Yuneec has a cheap stall selling electric skateboards and one guy admits they don't know if the plane is going ahead .

The trend seems to be noise then run out of steam! So I am not hopeful as I am not sure we are advancing or if everyone just reinvents a similar prototype, finds it hard, then stops.

There was no electric theme at Oshkosh except two guys with home built ones, hidden away in the ultralight area.

• Informative 1

The prototype is with a guy in the US who I think was the original designer. Yuneec is about exploring batteries it seems, this is not an airplane company. They have never returned my emails and listening between the lines to the people at Oshkosh, there has been nothing done since last year. Pity as at $39,000 I was in the market just for the cool factor.

• Like 1

eSpyder that is based on the Flight Star is supposed to be built or at least the power system is supplied by Yuneec. The website is still up.

ElectraFlyer.com is another.

Shame that the big names just run out of steam.

eSpyder that is based on the Flight Star is supposed to be built or at least the power system is supplied by Yuneec. The website is still up. ElectraFlyer.com is another.

Shame that the big names just run out of steam.

I didn't know electric aircraft ran on steam! 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Caution 1