There's more

I thought of lapping the fairing at the TE so the body of the rivets are inside the fairing - like this:[ATTACH=full]46304[/ATTACH]

Surely that would be a substantial drag reduction?

Probably not worth the constructional difficulty - that fold on the trailing edge to create the lip you want to rivet into is a HUGE stress riser in the material and I suspect tyou will get tearing and cracking along the edge. Probably better to do what others have down and just rivet the trailing edges together with a mild bend on both edges or through a trailing edge doubler.

Agree on how to attach - not rivets along the whole tube length but top and bottom at the fittings - that is what i have on the sapphire fibreglass struct fairings - attached at the ends only

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at Marty_d..

I made exactly that type of fairing out of .016" 2024 to cover 32mm diameter struts for my old 95:10 buzz bucket.

I put the bottom sheet on the inside of the lip to help keep it together.

No issues with cracking along the trailing edge with the right bend radius and made they a huge difference in drag reduction.

Biggest problem was people grabbing onto the fairings to help move the aircraft and popping the edge out of the lip as I only had minimal rivets keeping it together.

Another way to make a fairing is to bend up the aluminium sheet and rivet a piano hinge at the two trailing edges. The shape is quite good and the hinge pin enables you to easily remove the fairing. Solid AN 426 rivets give a very smooth surface.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

[ATTACH=full]37763[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]37764[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]37766[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]37767[/ATTACH]Six months of work - first photo on 6/3/15 and last photo on 7/3/15 and there are lots of photos in between

Whats that single seater in the rafters planet?

Thruster?!Nah, it's a Javelin.

Another project I'm supposed to finish for a mate (he's in no hurry, got two other planes...)

cool I had one of them back in 95 brought it for $1000 had a 447 in it ,and was great fun chaseing the crows with ,but if the noise stopped was a real brick, straight down lol,sadly was destroyed in a cyclone, wrapped it up into the corner of the remaining t hanger at a mates strip north of Townsville.Used the engine in my jackacrichet

Probably not worth the constructional difficulty - that fold on the trailing edge to create the lip you want to rivet into is a HUGE stress riser in the material and I suspect tyou will get tearing and cracking along the edge. Probably better to do what others have down and just rivet the trailing edges together with a mild bend on both edges or through a trailing edge doubler.Agree on how to attach - not rivets along the whole tube length but top and bottom at the fittings - that is what i have on the sapphire fibreglass struct fairings - attached at the ends only

I can't see that the folded TE (with a 1/8" radius) in 0.016" 6061-T6 would be more prone to cracking. The TE on the fin of the 701 is exactly that type of construction.

The rivet line doesn't have to be near the TE, it could be anywhere aft of the tube. Might also be an idea to form a rib top and bottom to retain the shape of the fairing.

Planet, sorry, I seem to have hijacked your thread. I'll happily move this elsewhere if you like.

cool I had one of them back in 95 brought it for $1000 had a 447 in it ,and was great fun chaseing the crows with ,but if the noise stopped was a real brick, straight down lol,sadly was destroyed in a cyclone, wrapped it up into the corner of the remaining t hanger at a mates strip north of Townsville.Used the engine in my jackacrichet

447 in a Javalin - Pure luxury - the one at the Oaks at that time had a 377 ... but I have to agree when you pulled the power it did make a T85 Thruster look like a competition glider 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Happy xmas to all who flyI will not be posting any more on this thread but will continue to build

There is a lot more I would like to say but ............

Nah don't do that, I love your build, just ask a Mod to delete all the off topic stuff and get back on track.

No bex

The thread was never about the contents of hangars

Or about the egos of others

Many words come to mind but my anecdotal thoughts are that I have learned why there is so few women involved in things to do with aeroplanes

• Agree 2

No bexThe thread was never about the contents of hangars

There are build blog websites out there, possibly you could run a thread one and link interested people to it?

Anyway, good luck with it otherwise.

• Like 2

No bexThe thread was never about the contents of hangars

Ignore them Planet - I have been following your build and like what I see. Good on you for doing it and posting photos. Ignore the Egos, Thread Drifters and Knockers - just show me pics.

014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Sue

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 1 year later...

Hi from me,

Please keep us informed, we (a lot of strangers) follow but don,t comment, and like a good book, will hate not to have a good ending,

Would come and annoy you if I find were you creat things, from sheets of metal like you have shown us.

spacesailor