SAMSUNG tablet with Oz runway ?....

Guest Maj Millard

Looks like the iphone 6 has finally caught up with the best android offerings. The technology seesaw will keep on rocking. Be interesting to see if the iwatch is a flash in the pan or not. It really is a battle of proprietary vs Open.

Personally I see the open scene becoming more innovative in the long run. Android continues to dominate market share with more than 60% & rising. In China Android is huge with the thousands of cheap devices appealing to the masses that do 95% of what an Apple device does for 10% of the cost.

• Agree 1

All the Apple developers are realising that the apple app market is saturated and handset volumes are slowing as apple increase prices, the android market is the only one growing due to the low prices and freedom to innovate. Remember apple went from 30% of the PC market in the early 90's to almost going broke after win95 came out.

• Informative 1

I use the iPad Air ,dash mounted in both lightwing and nieuport..

I wanted to get an android but at the time the android tech still hadn't,t started on the conversion for oz runways.... the iPad Air is slowly growing on me,I found it a little big in the beginning but now prefer the bigger screen and full display.

But the price of apple products puts a bad taste in my mouth!

Go android .. Competition = $$$$ saved .. Well most of the time?

Oh yeh the trouble with the iPad Air is taking it anywhere! It's maybe thin but it's still big, I have it in a leather case with handles( my wife calls it my hand bag) so I stuck some flying stickers on it to make it more manly?

image.jpg.c1da6d0fcd701edcf03db2afa34c49e2.jpg

Oh yeh the trouble with the iPad Air is taking it anywhere! It's maybe thin but it's still big, I have it in a leather case with handles( my wife calls it my hand bag) so I stuck some flying stickers on it to make it more manly?

Big!!! I have a Samsung 12" Galaxy Note Pro, an iPad (admittedly v1 but still 10") and a Samsung 8"...I would be lost without the 12" and the rest stay at home...got my eye on the Surface Pro 3 from Microsoft which is also 12" BUT it doesn't have SIM connectivity, only WiFi which is stupid in my opinion, what's a tablet unless it is on the go and not have to carry a USB dongle with you.

Note the price of the new iPhone that is the same size as my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone, it is $1,000 and you still only have an Apple and are locked into their ecosystem to get any benefit from it

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I am the same. I can't see much on the iphone and I use the ipad all the time except for phone calls. I literally run my business from a truck cabin and I could not do that with out the ipad. It allows me to get out of the office whenever and wherever I want.

I personally wouldn't want a phone any bigger than my Iphone 5, it still needs to be small enough to fit in ones pocket.

I should add, I use a mini IPad for OZ runways and for general Internet use. But it is flat so ATM & I am using my iphone and it is a effort with the little key pad. I might have to break out the lap top.

• Like 1

For those of you who think the Apple market is shrinking. (FT)

The iphone6 went on presale at 1701 EST.

The apple site crashed at 1500 EST and only very few people are a getting through.

The reason unexpected excess demand.

While they continue to make a product that is superior in their markets opinion they will be able to continue charging there own prices and selling their products.

If anyone else can get in preorder me 4 iphone6 pluses please.

Cheers Geoff13

Guest Maj Millard

My mini Ipad works beautifully with Oz runways and as a general PC wherever I go. Also brilliant clear camera which I use constantly.

My first Apple product, but give credit where credit is due....brilliant piece of reliable gear in or out of the cockpit .............Maj.....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

AvPlan is now (finally!) available on Android - see the announcement here about AvPlan Lite. All the details here: http://www.avsoft.com.au/avplan/avplan-lite-1-0-for-android-now-available/AvPlan Lite will be available on the iPad shortly as well.

Thanks

Bevan

Hi Bevan,

How big are the files with the maps ERSA etc?

One thing for your consideration... I purchased a Galaxy S5 phone to replace my iPhone 5 and got the 16gb version. Once you have the operating system and other apps you lose a significant amount of that of course. I thought that would not be an issue as the S5 has a mini SD slot which I promptly filled with a 64gb card.

HOWEVER many apps (espescially those with maps and large files) are not allowed to read from the Mini SD card (Android 4.1 wont allow it for some reason where as previous OS would). The files must be stored on the phones memory...So you are hamstrung on this device at least from storing large files (and reading them from) the SD card slot WITH SOME APPS.

Can Avplan Lite read the map files from the Mini SD (and or run the app itself from there).

Thanks!

Hi Bevan,How big are the files with the maps ERSA etc?

One thing for your consideration... I purchased a Galaxy S5 phone to replace my iPhone 5 and got the 16gb version. Once you have the operating system and other apps you lose a significant amount of that of course. I thought that would not be an issue as the S5 has a mini SD slot which I promptly filled with a 64gb card.

HOWEVER many apps (espescially those with maps and large files) are not allowed to read from the Mini SD card (Android 4.1 wont allow it for some reason where as previous OS would). The files must be stored on the phones memory...So you are hamstrung on this device at least from storing large files (and reading them from) the SD card slot WITH SOME APPS.

Can Avplan Lite read the map files from the Mini SD (and or run the app itself from there).

Thanks!

Hi Tex

At the moment it cannot use data on an SD card, however we will be adding this capability shortly

Thanks!

Bevan..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...