Rotax 582 rebuilds

seb7701

Folks,

I am considering an aircraft with a blue top 582 which has 650hrs on it and never had a rebuild.

Question is - what life do you get from a bottom end? I am aware that a top rebuild would be no problem, but wondered whether the rest would hold up. The engine appears to have had an easy life and is still quite fine at present.

Also, where can I get a rebuild these days in southern Qld?

All help much appreciated!!!

Unfortunately from what I have read around the place , the Big End roller bearings are the leak link and often fail anywhere after 300 hrs.

Rotax recommend a new crank as a part of the major overhaul.

Just what I have read.....

cheers

JimG

• Haha 1

Guest Vince Clegg

Try Richard for a rebuild.

Queensland Service Centre

Rotax Engine Specialst

261 Mount French Road

Boonah Queensland 4310

Contact Person: Mr Richard Eacott

Tel: 07 5463 2476

Email:[email protected]

Cheers

Vince.

Guest Maj Millard

Richard is definitely the man...flew with one of his engines recently and I was impressed...I heard he only did Drifter engines though, and that he was retiring soon.............Maj......012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Got a new replacement 582 last year from Flood's for $5500.

Came with new carbs, new exhaust (cylinder to tailpipe and springs!), new plugs and even a bottle of the new AeroShell two stroke aviation oil (sounds like a contradiction in terms I know?), should point out the oil had an expired shelf life, but.....?

Engine pre-fitted with oil injection and pull start, just add your own starter and gearbox, and your off with a NEW motor.

AND, I still have the old motor (which was running well) for an uncertified project, or sale to others for same (I'm keeping it at the moment).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 1

I think I've heard that if you send your expired 300 hour engine to them for a 'zero' time rebuild, it costs around $3500, then you add postage....

If you are starting from scratch, meaning you also need a radiator, oil tank, gear box, air filter and starter, the price comes to about $8000?

Depending if you are building something new (kit or plan), then the list goes on into hoses, engine mount, starter relay, regulator/rectifier, EGT, CHT/water temp probes and gauges.

And don't forget the prop!

Try chasing a 300hr one second hand from flight schools or from hire/reward aircraft. They are definately around.....

I do know a bloke who ran a bottom end to a couple of thousand ours with no probs in a trike and only changed it because he bought another 300hr engine cheap.

Always did the bearing clearance checks etc....

Interesting to note that he flys multiple times per week. If the weather is fine.....he flys.

I'm thinking regular use has an effect on life expectancy.......

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I know of a few 582 with over 500 hrs with no problems But with a good maintains and looking after the have run reliable for many hours I know a few in the states that have a 800 plus still going strong ,.

• Like 1

Much appreciated- glad they can at least rebuild the trusty 503....

Sux that the rebuild/purchase is so darn similar. Worst still, the 650hr engine may carry on for ages or stop tomorrow....

Best start hunting for a replacement...

• Agree 1

Much appreciated- glad they can at least rebuild the trusty 503....Sux that the rebuild/purchase is so darn similar. Worst still, the 650hr engine may carry on for ages or stop tomorrow....

Best start hunting for a replacement...

Yeh basically an extra $1500 for a new one and you get every thing,!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 582 with 270hrs on it.

I get a lot of different opinions on a rebuild or just buy a new one.

Im open for suggestions as I have approx. 18mnths to go, at the rate I am flying.

Is the 300hr a Max for rebuild or can I stretch this out by a few hrs??

What sort of money can I ask for my current 582 once it has 300 hrs? as it can obviously go towards the cost of new.

I have a 582 with 270hrs on it.I get a lot of different opinions on a rebuild or just buy a new one.

Im open for suggestions as I have approx. 18mnths to go, at the rate I am flying.

Is the 300hr a Max for rebuild or can I stretch this out by a few hrs??

What sort of money can I ask for my current 582 once it has 300 hrs? as it can obviously go towards the cost of new.

I ran mine old one to 520 hr and most go to 600 . Manufacturer states 300 hrs so it's really up to you. I plan on rebuilding my new one ( already on 15 hrs) at the recommended 300. The reason I wanted a new one was so I know the engine has been looked after to specs.

I ran mine old one to 520 hr and most go to 600 . Manufacturer states 300 hrs so it's really up to you. I plan on rebuilding my new one ( already on 15 hrs) at the recommended 300. The reason I wanted a new one was so I know the engine has been looked after to specs.

Thanks for your reply. I will look into current price options and then start saving !!. My machine runs beautifully but I know that I am getting close to making a decision on the maintenance of my aircraft.

• Like 1

As a training proposition the Rotax life is stated as 300 hours. This is conservative, and if the motor had not had any lean mixture events and well looked after should do a good 200 hours more easily I have replaced rings in some where the rings were still OK at those times. Carbon in the ring grooves is a cause of seizures and ring breakage which is a sudden failure if it happens. You can check the condition of the rings through the exhaust ports and push the rings in, in the grooves with a paddle pop stick so as not to mark them.

I do know of some high hours engines. (800-1000.) Anything over that is not worth doing unless you have miles of flat suitable landing areas.

The roller bearings don't usually show a lot of play before they fail. The failure can either be a cage or parts of the hardened crankpin peeling off due to too much work done. Ie fatigue of the surface. Sometimes a lack of oil can cause the bearing to go blue and lose it's hardness or just lock up

The new motor is the best value. You get carbs electrics and mufflers etc. Sell the old one off for some other use. Someone else may get some parts from it. Nev

• Agree 1

As a training proposition the Rotax life is stated as 300 hours. This is conservative, and if the motor had not had any lean mixture events and well looked after should do a good 200 hours more easily I have replaced rings in some where the rings were still OK at those times. Carbon in the ring grooves is a cause of seizures and ring breakage which is a sudden failure if it happens. You can check the condition of the rings through the exhaust ports and push the rings in, in the grooves with a paddle pop stick so as not to mark them.I do know of some high hours engines. (800-1000.) Anything over that is not worth doing unless you have miles of flat suitable landing areas.

The roller bearings don't usually show a lot of play before they fail. The failure can either be a cage or parts of the hardened crankpin peeling off due to too much work done. Ie fatigue of the surface. Sometimes a lack of oil can cause the bearing to go blue and lose it's hardness or just lock up

The new motor is the best value. You get carbs electrics and mufflers etc. Sell the old one off for some other use. Someone else may get some parts from it. Nev

Thanks Nev.

Yes I am thinking that new is the best way for me. My current engine would be worth something, so at least I can put it towards new!!

I just left a message with:

Queensland Service Centre

Rotax Engine Specialst

Mr Richard Eacott

Tel: 07 5463 2476

• Like 1

A rebuild is sounding better to me at this time, but who knows !!!