Braking ideas

But what about takeoff? If you used your rudder to keep you straight (which definitely should be happening) it would be slowing you down.

I can understand the benifits of having the rudder pedals control the differential but I think you still need an Independent pressure lever.

Landing with the brakes engaged would not be pretty

• Agree 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get that.... Why no RUDDER input?. You certainly don't want the nose-wheel turned the wrong way. Nev

Said with tongue in cheek FH, but seriously, with a castoring nose-wheel, it should be pointed the right way at all times except when on the ground.

SDQDI, sure, little taps of rudder and brake needed to keep on runway BUT, if aligned correctly first, this should be minimal except in high X-wind conditions. Times when I don't fly. The amount of braking required would have very little influence on rolling speed. I do like your idea of some sort of independent pressure relief though. Will look into it. As for landing with brakes on, I'd expect a smashed nose-wheel leg for sure, then a slide on the forward belly. No engine to damage as it's a pusher.

Ain't experimentation fun. Keeps me off the streets as they say. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

I would think about incorporating a sort of detent spring on the rudder pedal. Light pressure would operate the rudder horn, but heavier pressure would overcome the spring to progressively operate the relevant brake.

My Pterodactyl had tip draggers (one way rudders on the wing tips) & it was a great system. If you deployed them both simultaneously, and leant forward to counter the nose up pitch, you could come down at a steep angle for short field landing. I once demonstrated landing across a small grass strip using this technique, which was well received!

Bruce

Some of this is a bit theoretical... Brakes on a tailwheel A/C have to be pretty predictable. Some makers don't recommend their use for faster speed directional control. If you something like Clevelands that are capable you don't need any loss of predictable feel. Nev