MEK supplies

tillmanr

Hi fellow flyers, I need to do some maintenance and need to source a small amount of MEK to work on Polyfiber finish. Anyone know a supplier in Melbourne apart from Aviaquip? Thanks

Try hi chem from auto panel beating supplies, electrostatic cleaner is the name as others have said , I think there's a hi chem distributor off Dorset rd, eastern paint supplies I think,

Mek is absorbed into the skin and some plumbers have to give plumbing away after 30 years or so. But the majority don't get effected.These days though a lot of plumbers keep the brushes from their glue pots and use them in their primer bottles and a few werks ago at work I bought a 500 ml primer, i'm sure but it could have been the Bostick brand and it actually has a foam/ sponge applicator inside. I never had side effects but around 2008 we started used brushes because a plumber on one of our work sites was told by his doctor after a blood test that he should change careers. The PVC glue contains between 30 to 60% MEK In it as well.

When I say its not as bad as peeps say. I don't want somebody the wash their hands in it and all of a sudden think they are going to die tommorrow.

I've spent most of my life around automotive paints and chemicals, using MEK when I covered my plane gave me some pretty tough headaches ,I was treating it like normal thinners and such ,surprised me actually, I thought I was bullet proof!

I've spent most of my life around automotive paints and chemicals, using MEK when I covered my plane gave me some pretty tough headaches ,I was treating it like normal thinners and such ,surprised me actually, I thought I was bullet proof!

Interesting, I never got headaches, well maybe 1 or 2 in the year and I have been stoned on occasion when using Primer and Glue in small enclosed areas. Funny thing is, plumbers after a while lose the sense of smell. I have been in commercial plant rooms which can take a week or do to plumb and then the occasional person would walk in a go 'wow that glue gives off a strong smell' we are like ' err what smell? ' we simply don't smell the primer or glue any more because our bodies are use to the chemical.

• Like 1

Anyone gets used to smells. The local sewerage works had a lovely garden and the workers ecided they would invite the friends and rellies around to enjoy the garden and have a barbie. they were surprised that there was not a second edition, but they were immune to the small that put their friends off.

When I painted the Corby with Stitts Polyfiber method, I made a respirator, fed with clean air from upwind of the workshop and I could still smell the MEK and other chemicals.

I worked in deseal/reseal also and remember going to medical section for my 6 monthly checkup and one of the tests was something to do with mek causing cancer. Apparently it's accumulative in that any exposure just adds to what you've already had.

I wouldn't be washing my hands in it (even though I did for a long time :))

When I was in the RAAF I was more concerned with using MEKP due to the fact that it can blind peeps if the get it in their eyes. I also wore gloves due to the peroxide in MEKP.

With MEK, I honestly have no side effects from soaking a rag in MEK to prime my pipe and fittings when I was a plumber.I did later on, in around 2008 started using a brush though. When MEK was tested on lab mice it did cause birth defects in the baby mice but only in very extreme doses. Generally though the mice showed no effects in normal doses.

Guest Andys@coffs

I purchased a PVC pipe primer from bunnings last week. It's at my mums at present but from memory is about 300mls in size, cost about $6 from memory has no die and according to the label is 100% MEK...... It was on the shelf with the dozen other primers and glues in the plumbing isle next to the PVC pipes and fittings....about 1 to 2m of shelf length so plenty of choice.

Andy