President's Report

Admin

As I understand it you just did express your opinion by voting didn't you ?............

I more meant voting for changes once they are developed, but your right in that we need more to get involved in voting the board members too, unfortunately they all stand for "fixing raa" and don't stand for much in regards to policy. So unless you know someone personally there isn't much more to go on, which is no doubt the reason most don't bother.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andys@coffs

The surveymonkey questionnaire that I have pointed to a couple of times allows on the last page people to identify those things that really bug them about RAAus and offers an opportunity to have your say. As I understand it that collected info will be reviewed by the CEO and the board to ensure that we are addressing the things that bug people and things that will negatively impact the organisation and to establish a priority order to addressing these things. We aim within the strategy session, as I understand it, to establish our short/medium and longer term strategy based around board member understanding of the issues and the member feedback that we receive.

We can only react to the feedback that we get. If you don't feedback info via the survey, or write/call your rep's then how exactly should we represent you?

I cant speak for others but it is not my intent to "go it alone" now that I've been voted in, nor for one moment do I believe Major has that view.

However for what ever reason we as a membership seem to be apathetic in voting and apathetic in getting involved. that in turn means that the reps don't get feedback so they do the best they can, the members seeing their reps apparently going it alone stay apathetic or become even more apathetic......How do we break that cycle?

For me, I can only represent what I know your positions on things are. Its hard for people to form a position if they don't even know a subject is under consideration or discussion and for that reason I'm trying to improve the communications quality and timelines and transparency when possible and so far I don't believe I have anyone actually opposing such a position. I believe that quantity and quality of comms has improved over what it was 2 years ago, but at this point it, at least to me, seems in terms of the whole membership, not just those that participate here, one way traffic and perhaps that's to be expected until people believe that their view will actually be considered and may contribute to a policy position which inturn leads to a reduction in apathy.

Anyway if you haven't already filled in the survey, please do so. Try and be fair I would be surprised if you honestly looked at the organisation and couldn't find a single strength or opportunity, I mean at present financially things aren't great, but we have an enormous surplus from years past to draw down on, this gives us time to get it right and is, at least to me, an opportunity that some organisations would dream of... At the same time its a weakness, if not careful we could squander the opportunity and simply waste the reserves......

Andy, I like the way you're thinking. The cycle of apathy can be easily broken, but it must be broken by the board members actively seeking feedback from members on important issues. It is impossible for members to be giving feedback on an individual basis especially when they are not told what the issues are.

I have completed the survey, but am not sure what it is trying to achieve. Maybe the time spent writing the survey could have been better spent providing an honest report to the members on the current state of RAAus. I am sure every Board member knows that members are calling for information on the state of the organisation and what changes are being proposed (including the new Ops manual) but it is being deliberately ignored.

• Agree 1

You raise a good point about members providing feedback but not actually knowing what policies are being discussed to give feedback on. Maybe a good start would be releasing the agenda for the upcoming board meeting so we can indeed share our opinions with the board members. There is no need for secret squirrel business, no commercial disadvantage.

Even if there is an item requiring secret squirrel business, if the rest of the agenda is released to the members two or three weeks before the meeting, we are going to be so much better off than we are now. Currently the only members whose opinion is heard on specific issues are the ones who are members of the same club or attend the same fly-in as a board member at the time a particular issue is top of mind. The rest of the membership, for the rest of the time are just a silent funding partners to the whole show!

• Agree 3

Guest Andys@coffs

I don't believe that there is an active culture of secrecy today, and its my belief that if you were to ring anyone on the exec there would be very little that they would not discuss with you today. They probably wont discuss disciplinary related activities but then as a normal member I wouldn't expect them to. Ross, what do you think?

Being prepared to discuss something however is one thing, it requires you to ask the question in the first place, I want to move beyond that and ideally would love to get to a place where the average member thinks" I'm sick of hearing from them...."I think we are a ways away from that point at present.

Andy

......we as a membership seem to be apathetic in voting and apathetic in getting involved. that in turn means that the reps don't get feedback so they do the best they can, the members seeing their reps apparently going it alone stay apathetic or become even more apathetic......How do we break that cycle?

As a member of a very large credit union I am guilty of regularly tossing voting forms into the recycling bin. Even after reading all the standard blurbs about each candidate I have no idea about their character and motives. The same applies to RAAus; we can hardly rely on election statements alone. What we really need to know is the performance of each candidate seeking re-election, whether they did the hard yards and studied the reams of documents they are given, how many meetings they slept thru (or missed) what constructive contributions they made, what disasters they saved the association from... We don't get that information- and even if they did, voters in some states may simply return the same familiar faces.

...We can only react to the feedback that we get. If you don't feedback info via the survey, or write/call your rep's then how exactly should we represent you?

...Its hard for people to form a position if they don't even know a subject is under consideration or discussion and for that reason I'm trying to improve the communications quality and timelines and transparency when possible and so far I don't believe I have anyone actually opposing such a position. I believe that quantity and quality of comms has improved .....

RAAus is on the right track. Regular surveys of member opinions on critical issues seems the way to go. Sort of like Citizen Initiated Referenda. Keep up the good work Andy.
  • Like 1

What we really need to know is the performance of each candidate seeking re-election, whether they did the hard yards and studies the reams of documents they are given, how many meetings they slept thru (or missed) what constructive contributions they made, what disasters they saved the association from... We don't get that information- and even if they did, voters in some states may simply return the same familiar faces.

Good blokes, hard working, making big changes, every last one of them

Like many other members I was highly critical of RA-Aus when the Runciman led Board was around. Since then we have seen Tech Managers & CEOs, Treasurers and Presidents come to the fore only to fall spectacularly. It seems only since Michael has taken the helm that there is now a vision for the future. Prior to that it was the old story of "When you are up to your ass in Alligators it is hard to remember you originally came to drain the swamp". Michael is showing true leadership in my opinion and making a mark for the organisation with the regulator and government. We do need a strategic plan for the short and longer term, we do need modern "on line" processes, we do need stable and efficient management and staff but it can not happen overnight. When an organisation is in such a mess as RA-Aus was, things generally get worse before they get better. I think that we are now heading clearly in the right direction having bottomed out not that long ago.

After the AGM the re-invigorated Board should get on with the task of being a Board providing support to Management, setting the targets, determining policy and direction & get away from the "Hands On" approach of old. We will have a majority of professional people on the board after the AGM to make this happen. The newsletters and survey are the best things to come out of RA-Aus for many years. I for one am very optimistic of a great future for RA-Aus. Less than a year ago there was none of that.

• Agree 2

I wrote this many many moons ago when Eugene was treasurer.

Would you have liked to have read some fact and figures on RAA financials?Thankfully Eugene is on the ball and offers us this in-depth insight,

"

I have been with AUF /Ra-Aus since it first started and seen all of the improvements both in aircraft and the airspace that we can fly in. Over the years we have managed to increase the quality, safety, weight and diversity of our aircraft. This has improved the safety and enjoyment of flight for our members and has been one of the reasons for our exceptional growth.

"

001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

I did the Strategic Planning survey and I am still thinking about the Mission / Vision statement. The last line said something like "to be the entry point for a career in Commercial & Military aviation." I did disagree, at the time, preferring the status quo, of RAA being recreational aviation only. Now I am not so sure. Perhaps this is the way forward, to highlight and foster the possibility of an integrated career path, thereby attracting younger people, rather than limiting it to the recreational aspect.

What do others think?

Sue

Guest Andys@coffs
You raise a good point about members providing feedback but not actually knowing what policies are being discussed to give feedback on. Maybe a good start would be releasing the agenda for the upcoming board meeting so we can indeed share our opinions with the board members. There is no need for secret squirrel business, no commercial disadvantage.

Standby, under discussion!

Being prepared to discuss something however is one thing, it requires you to ask the question in the first place, I want to move beyond that and ideally would love to get to a place where the average member thinks" I'm sick of hearing from them...."I think we are a ways away from that point at present.Andy

Like!!!

I did the Strategic Planning survey and I am still thinking about the Mission / Vision statement. The last line said something like "to be the entry point for a career in Commercial & Military aviation." I did disagree, at the time, preferring the status quo, of RAA being recreational aviation only. Now I am not so sure. Perhaps this is the way forward, to highlight and foster the possibility of an integrated career path, thereby attracting younger people, rather than limiting it to the recreational aspect. 

What do others think?

Sue

I think that we must move forward and I do agree with the statement. It is a logical first step to go for your RA-Aus Certificate, then PPL, CPL & on through the plethora of options in the commercial & military world. We should be part of the process.

Gee that is very positive, where did you post that, I would like to go back and read some more of what the old you had to say.

You should know that was Eugene's summary for 2011/2012

*Spoiler alert: The usual outrage at glaring incompetence of the board and willingness of some many of you old guys to accept it*

I don't believe that there is an active culture of secrecy today, and its my belief that if you were to ring anyone on the exec there would be very little that they would not discuss with you today. They probably wont discuss disciplinary related activities but then as a normal member I wouldn't expect them to. Ross, what do you think?Being prepared to discuss something however is one thing, it requires you to ask the question in the first place, I want to move beyond that and ideally would love to get to a place where the average member thinks" I'm sick of hearing from them...."I think we are a ways away from that point at present.

Andy

Its a cultural norm. None of the board is willing to stand up publicly and say "This is wrong as we need to fix it, I have a plan" No one is prepared to look beyond covering their own asse

Have tried clicking on the link in the email and nothing happens. Probably why there hasn't been a rush to respond. I am using Mozilla Thunderbird/Firefox. It might work for others? IE etc?

It worked for me using Firefox (on Linux)