Hummel engines

Soleair

Does anyone have first hand - or even reliable secondhand - experience of running a 4 cylinder Hummel engine?

At 147lbs (plus presumably exhaust, etc) for 85 hp their price of $5600 seems extremely attractive compared to the Rotax 'hewn from solid platinum' alternative.

And yes, I realize that's US dollars, and the Aussie dollar is dropping like a stone. And that it costs an arm and a leg to import. And that there's minimal backup. But I still reckon I could buy 2 Hummels for one Rotax.

So, does anyone fly behind one of these?

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks for the replies, guys. Particularly liked the EAA article.

I know some people don't rate the dear old VW lump, but there must be quite a few cumulative engine flying hours on them around the world. And they are satisfyingly 'low tech'.

Bruce

• Helpful 1

Hi Soleair, try" Scott Castler" in the states, he makes engines & parts. Has a very good rep., for his products, he says there's not much VW in his engines nowdays,

There seems to be more & more Hummlebirds flying overseas nowdays, with two pot motors, Hummel/ Mosler/Castler and half-VW.

spacesailor

IF you are chasing Horsepower you have to go up in capacity as the rpm is limited by prop dia. The way the drive flange is fitted is important.

Some of the extra manufactured parts are very nice. The less of the original motor the better if you want more power.

If it's a VP-1 or such you may not need the power and can keep it more basic (and cheap). Nev

Same cubit capacity with more horses means more bang for the power stroke, TURBO Charged VW,S.

There,s a few two-pot VW,s flying with turbo power, not as thirsty as a two-stroke Mcoy four, but more horses for take-off.

When weight is critical a turbo and injector type carby is about as light as it gets.

spacesailor