Jabiru thru bolt failure.

Oscar,

This guy actually knows how to use a spanner, as against repeating and embellishing information from others, and what he has to say rings true with my experience.

In touting the MGL equipment, you must have missed this clause: "Stratomaster instruments have Not been submitted to the CAA or FAA or any of its agencies (or any regulatory authority in any other country) for any form of certification. Operation and installation of these instruments is subject to the relevant rules and regulations of your country and flight authority."

You weren't correct with the Shakespeare quote either

• Agree 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a load of horse bio-degradable fertiliser.An MGL 'Extreme' EFIS - with full EMIS capability, including recording, with four CHT and four egt probes, costs less that $2k. ( http://www.lightflying.com.au/Stratomaster Pages/StratoPrices.htm)

Yes, CAMit engines are an order of magnitude improved and the calibrated test results to prove it will shortly be forthcoming. However, the assertion that the 'base' of the Jabiru engine is as bad as you decry, is statistically disproved; it's the engines you maintain that are out on the extreme end of the reliability bell-curve. If I were an L2, I'd not be touting your record when there are numerous examples of FTF's getting highly acceptable life-times from Jab. engines due to good maintenance and good use management practices.

Once again, I guess I disclose my (rather thin) academic background when I suggest that 'she seems to protest too much.' ( also, see: ''Tis Pity She's a Whore '). Who are you trying to impress? - the vast majority of Jab/ engine owners, who aren't bothered to grace this forum, or your customers, who apparently are seething with discontent?

Ouch, next you'll attack my labedo! LOL

MGL is an approved fit by Jabiru is it? So you intall one in a 19'er

Sure MGL $2k cost to fit it another $2k equals $4k, now shove the 'approved fit' base model D100 $3k plus, cost to fit $2k getting closer aren't we Occy boy! then lets push to the skyview! oh my we are above $6k easy!

Name these FTF's!

The Base of this engine! the one that we are speaking of is as bad as I have stated in the previous post! it failed within the first 100 hours! and continues to do so!!!!

I have no seething customers my friend, this poor young lady is a seething customer of Jabiru. but by all means shoot from the hip as usual, but be ware how far you go! I will not tolerate misinformation or unfounded professional slander!

Oh dear Oscar, the engines that I maintain! Mate factory maintained jabs are failing! I have not had a single engine failure of my causing yet! 20 years in the industry L2/ L4 and LAME.

These engines that I maintain that are out on the extreme edge? which do you refer!

No need to get nasty mate, I'm coming through that way in November I could drop by the airfield and have a chat, maybe you will see Im not this big bad wolf that's keep blowing down your jabiru temple of worship!

Comon! you yourself in previous posts admit there are issue's heck you rattle on about the fix's that you have incorporated at whim and whenever a real life situation from someone else comes to fore you bully abuse and criticise, Why? open discussion and dialogue is what we are here for!

Camit themselves admit the hydraulic engine is a dud! but I guess you know best as usual!

Do you have to be nasty all the time? it massively discredits anything you have to say and frankly I am interested in some things you mention!

Im sure deep down inside you there is a nice guy, so come on tiger play nice for once!!!

• Like 2
  • Informative 2
  • Winner 1

Guest Andys@coffs
What a load of horse bio-degradable fertiliser.An MGL 'Extreme' EFIS - with full EMIS capability, including recording, with four CHT and four egt probes, costs less that $2k. ( http://www.lightflying.com.au/Stratomaster Pages/StratoPrices.htm)

Yes, CAMit engines are an order of magnitude improved and the calibrated test results to prove it will shortly be forthcoming. However, the assertion that the 'base' of the Jabiru engine is as bad as you decry, is statistically disproved; it's the engines you maintain that are out on the extreme end of the reliability bell-curve. If I were an L2, I'd not be touting your record when there are numerous examples of FTF's getting highly acceptable life-times from Jab. engines due to good maintenance and good use management practices.

Once again, I guess I disclose my (rather thin) academic background when I suggest that 'she seems to protest too much.' ( also, see: ''Tis Pity She's a Whore '). Who are you trying to impress? - the vast majority of Jab/ engine owners, who aren't bothered to grace this forum, or your customers, who apparently are seething with discontent?

Just a minor point, but given the aircraft is 24 reg how exactly is it that you are going to legally fit this????

P.S Oscar you went from zero to the throat! in 1mS I think you need to back off a bit, the tone was completely uncalled for

Geez, Merv, what a put-down. I feel terribly humbled.

Yet, I take heart in the fact that I was issued a Dept. of Transport 'Glider Inspectors Certificate', with endorsements for D.I's for Wood, Metal, FRP, Steel Tube and 'All Types'; 'Standard Repairs' for GRP, 'Replacement of Components' for everything; 'Approved Modifications' for FRP and 'Issue of C of A' for Metal and FRP' - in 1978, when DoT was CASA.

You can equate that to at least an L2 for RAA aircraft. DoT didn't hand that qualification out with packets of cornflakes, me old Mukka - because we were delegated authorities under the regulations.

So don't hand me the 'librarian' tag; I have the certification to prove my competence to the requirements of the Australian Government agency responsible for Aviation safety in force at the time.

• Caution 1

If anyone's coming to the air show in Tamworth this weekend give me a hoy, both my Jabs will be on static display, I'm intending on going for a cruise after the show on Saturday, happy to take a passenger.

Just a minor point, but given the aircraft is 24 reg how exactly is it that you are going to legally fit this????

Good point: it's up to Jabiru to make a determination that this as acceptable for a 24-reg aircraft. Perhaps someone should ask this of Jabiru; perhaps RAA could be a conduit here?

Just a minor point, but given the aircraft is 24 reg how exactly is it that you are going to legally fit this????P.S Oscar you went from zero to the throat! in 1mS I think you need to back off a bit, the tone was completely uncalled for

Whoops..Looks like oscar was away from engineering school that day hey?...

Oh oscar, better to be silent and let people think your dik, then open your mouth and confirm it hey?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Geez, Merv, what a put-down. I feel terribly humbled. Yet, I take heart in the fact that I was issued a Dept. of Transport 'Glider Inspectors Certificate', with endorsements for D.I's for Wood, Metal, FRP, Steel Tube and 'All Types'; 'Standard Repairs' for GRP, 'Replacement of Components' for everything; 'Approved Modifications' for FRP and 'Issue of C of A' for Metal and FRP' - in 1978, when DoT was CASA.

You can equate that to at least an L2 for RAA aircraft. DoT didn't hand that qualification out with packets of cornflakes, me old Mukka - because we were delegated authorities under the regulations.

So don't hand me the 'librarian' tag; I have the certification to prove my competence to the requirements of the Australian Government agency responsible for Aviation safety in force at the time.

Mate, I'm not trying to discredit you but your quals are not transferable to any licence/qualification as far as I'm aware, nor (IIRC) were issued after a skill of hand assessment however if you have retained the knowledge and skill get those pieces of paper together and apply for that L2 that you are wanting! I can assure you each of the categories you mention above are not a walk in the park to attain them as an AME! Lots of SOE and large examinations. Comparing the Dot to CASA is well there is no comparison... Everything I pass on in this forum is mostly to help/inform others, sure I have a vent every now and then when I am overly frustrated but hey I'm human ( I think so).

There is no malice intended!!! However you seem to read it that way, should I change the font colour?

Give us a break I am not a Jabiru basher I only pass on my in field experiences and lessons learnt, I don't expect you to take my word for it and am happy for you to inspect the box of U/S and quarantine parts I have accumulated whilst repairing these engines!

I genuinely get excited when I walk up to either of my Jabs and fire them up, I love the smooth note and the aeroplane feel but I equally loath the times I have been grounded through failure of parts, etc.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Good point: it's up to Jabiru to make a determination that this as acceptable for a 24-reg aircraft. Perhaps someone should ask this of Jabiru; perhaps RAA could be a conduit here?

And why would Jabiru do this? They say it is unnecessary to have this level of instrumentation (as indeed do most aircraft manufacturers). Do you believe this level of instrumentation is necessary for a Jab engine and, if so, why - given your previously demonstrated confidence in this design?

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

You know what, Merv - I have to admit, you have a point. The filthy weather here (you will know it) has driven me indoors, but it's promising to lift and give me opportunity to get on with doing stuff that helps the 99% of Jab engine owners that don't agree with your and Deadstick's propaganda. So, I'm out of here, to do things that are useful.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

However, the assertion that the 'base' of the Jabiru engine is as bad as you decry, is statistically disproved

I'm sure that's absolutely true, but it's a surprisingly small % variation between a product that's labelled "decent" and one that's "troublesome", within 0.02% and more than 0.03% respectively from memory - and those reputations can be exaggerated further depending on how the customer service is tackled.

The basis of North American and European complaints are consistent with this Forum's.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

If anyone's coming to the air show in Tamworth this weekend give me a hoy, both my Jabs will be on static display, I'm intending on going for a cruise after the show on Saturday, happy to take a passenger.

What time is it all happening DS? We are busy planting at the minute but hoping to maybe make it up on Saturday with the family:chase:. I won't be there for a fly, just showing the littlies (I won't be looking at all:wink:) the aerobatics. Hope to see you up there 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

99% wow. Your maths suck. Luckily your quals as a librarian are not mathematically dependent:)

The word propaganda doesn't relate to real world, real life experience bud:)

When you have operated at least ONE jabiru engine for any meaningful period, then your comments may depart the " propaganda" dept and be added to the "experience" section.

Have fun MR llewellyn.

• Haha 1
  • Winner 2

Before you go, can you provide evidenced basis for all these FTF's that are exceeding TBO's? also enlighten me on the engines I maintain on the edge please? just curious! or just answer my questions please? I mean you just traipsed on in, flung handfuls of Bullxxxx and traipsed on out with anything to support a word you said! bit extreme at best dude!!!

• Agree 1

I can understand fitting probes at the initial testing in the air stage to see how the cowl functions. Most Continental 0-200s or Lycoming 235's don't have anything and often don't need an oil cooler, either. That situation would be nice if it was adequate for all engines. Ie they were non critical with cooling. Most of the problems with the jabiru started with experiments on lean running, (probably to achieve endurance for drones) and with hydraulic lifters being fitted. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The problem is owners buyig $80K Aircraft, hamstrung by LSA rules, and expecting out of the box perfection like a $120 k one

Read the pages of topics on temperature spread and egt spread problems in Jab engines. Theres even pages of fixes and links on how it relates to problems discussed here. Id expect these alterations could be done under approval from Jabiru. repeatedly its asked what caused the problem, NOT what was the end result!, what were the cylinder temps,,egt etc and very rarely can a log be produced. Lost count of how many times jab owners have been recommended to fit full EMS.

Saying it shouldnt be so is doing exactly what your accusing manufacturer of doing. We will just see more failures and repeat ones. Exprienced people claiming what it says in manual, or what they heard Jabiru say are forgetting the main point, they are almost all uncertified aircraft and carries risk different to other makes and classes of aircraft.

They arent as polished as old US or european products and are priced accordingly. No doubt they can be better and this is being worked on but 24 reg arent likely to benefit.

Old info from Aus, USA and France is dredging up a range of problems some related to designs and parts long updated or should have been.

LSA throws all the responsibility back on manufacturer which are a biased entity, probably beong very careful what they admit to.

I have sympathy for anyone with expensive breakdowns, ive had plenty, but owning an aircraft on hire is risky and full of possible unplanned costs.

Jabiru have lots they can do to improve without doubt, who doesnt. The concept that by in large only LSA can be used for training is laughable as i have little doubt there are plenty of 19 Jabs out there, recklessly fiddled with by owners, with longer safer careers than some blindly serviced from manuals without understanding or in depth lnowledge of the type and intricacies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

What time is it all happening DS? We are busy planting at the minute but hoping to maybe make it up on Saturday with the family:chase:. I won't be there for a fly, just showing the littlies (I won't be looking at all:wink:) the aerobatics. Hope to see you up there 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Hi mate,

Link:- http://tamworthfestivalofflight.com.au

Should be a good couple of days, give me a call when your there.

Another through bolt failure on the 170.Found it today after a pilot reported rough running during a run up.

330 HRS since factory top end.

120 Hours post fly wheel retaining stud failure.

Head shows signs of "pulling in"

Total time on engine 1180 hrs

We are preparing the defect reports for CASA and the RAA. Along with complaints to consumer affairs re the sh!t workmanship during the rebuild.

Im done with these .... Things....

This is the original post, which I note was given a "creative" by someone; hardly a game, except for the deniers.

• Agree 2