J230 landing incident Broome

I agree with that. They need to operate off a short strip for a while, and they would change their style. (or run through the far fence). Unless there are obstacles, your mains should touch down within 150-200 meters of the threshold and the nosewheel should be off the ground when you do. Nev.

The ones I've flown, full back trim does not cancel out the back stick force, so that could be a factor. Coming in with excess speed is a (bad) habit you can acquire through laziness. You don't have to put in as much effort as when pinning it at the correct speed. Don't forget the speed varies a lot with your landing weight. Correct tor it and you won't float as far If your engine idle speed is too high it floats too far as well. Nev

The ones I've flown, full back trim does not cancel out the back stick force, so that could be a factor. Coming in with excess speed is a (bad) habit you can acquire through laziness. You don't have to put in as much effort as when pinning it at the correct speed. Don't forget the speed varies a lot with your landing weight. Correct tor it and you won't float as far If your engine idle speed is too high it floats too far as well. Nev

Agree. Placing 20kg drum of water or 20kg bag of wheat rearwards will help to get the trim 'centered' and so it actually will trim out for a 60kt approach. C182's are notable for this lack of trim power when empty. For conversion training, I usually place 40kg in the baggage compartment and that gets things under control.

We could begin to talk about flying on the' back' side of the drag/power curve - only for more experienced pilots - but this sorts out the too fast landings.

happy days,

• Agree 1