Best battery for Jabiru 2.2. Need advice

Herm

The cold start kit retards its spark by quite a few degrees- perhaps because it fires at low revs, not the c.275rpm of the standard fixed-timing coils.

Thank you for that I will look further into the workings of the unit, as I do have one -- good idea I understand its workings.

Regards

KP.

Yep I had no problems with the Odyssey except for the weight and price.

Russ, the battery I'm using is a Zippy Flightmax LiFePo4, 8400mah, 4s2p, 30C , 1026 grams, for $86 from hobbyking australia.

The rated amperage is 30 times 8.4, that is 252 amps. I put mine in a container to make it fit into the plane properly.

I haven't had any problems since ruining the first one by leaving the master switch on, and maybe I'm a bit over-cautious about disconnecting it as soon as the starting-draw has been replaced.

regards, Bruce

• Agree 1

I am wondering if anone has used those Fullrivers which one can purchases from Batteries Direct in Sydney?Looks like they are a new kid on the block and wondering if anyone has tried them.

The guff I read about the Fullrivers:- Better than the Odyssey by way of less weight better cranking amps. We will see..

Batteries Direct is a good place to by Odysseys.

Regards

KP.

Hi Keith

I have been using a full river for 3 years without it missing a beat. Only difference to Odyssey layout is that the terminals are reversed on the case. I have found mine to be an excellent battery with strong cranking amps.

Cheers

John

I can verify that the Cold Start kit improves starting as I have used one on my 3300 for the last 18 months with good results, ( the module is only in the cct when the starter is depressed and adds a boost to the standard (left) coil during this time and after start the engine runs on the standard coils. Which is why it is approved for certified engines)

I am interested in the, "Choke Jet" mod. Can somebody enlighten me on just exactly what is involved to increase the size of the "Choke Jet" to enable even easier starting. If possible a diagram would be a great aid to understanding what's required. As I understand it the choke jet is just a passage way in the carburettor body (which comes into play when throttle is at idle and choke is fully applied) The mod involves drilling out this passage to 1.6 mm or larger. It is not a removable jet. Is this correct?. I have also been told that once done there is no need to use choke to start the engine - ever. Can someone please enlighten me?

Sorry Bill, but all my searching hasn't dragged up the thread about this. About two years back a member from (I think) Broken Hill, with the word "Bush" in his handle, posted a detailed explanation which I followed. I am a continent away from my plane at the moment and have only a hazy memory of the procedure, but it took me less than an hour and I used a 1mm drill to open the tiny pilot hole. Seemed to make a difference.

This might help:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/hope-i-have-fixed-it.10971/page-3#post-109559

• Informative 1

Bill

The quote below is from the "engine maintenance manual". 10.15 Note 14

The choke jet needs to have a bore of about 1.2mm. This gives the engine more fuel when the choke is applied, making it easier to start. New engines and aircraft have been set at this size since around February 2011, however older units will need to be checked and, if necessary, enlarged. See Figure 48

Thanks Frank and OK for your replies to my post. I'll delve further into the maintenance manual to understand what has to be done. Good to see that this forum can be used to help fellow aviators for a change instead of the usual brand bashing that continues to plague these pages to its detriment I believe. Well done guys.

My log shows that I got the choke jet drilled out to 1.2 mm in June 2010,

I have never used the choke since that time and never had any starting problems whatsoever since then.

LAME did the job so can't comment on the location except that the jet is in the bowl.

Also at the same time the needle jet was increased to #290 due to indication of lean mixture.

Starts an the coldest of days. No more boiling the jug.

Phil

No worries Bill. It's nice for a beginner like me to be able to give some small assistance to a fellow aviator.

Who'd-a-thought-it. Just a few short years ago, as an enthusiastic newbie I happened upon Ian's forum. It's taught me mobs about hairyplanes, Jab engine and lots more. It's enabled me to vent about things that p1ss me off and argue the point with people I've never met. Where would we be without 'puters? It's a long way from chasing cows in bare feet and following a horse-drawn plough. We old bast@rds can adapt to almost anything. Who says the Millenium Generation has it all to themselves?

• 1 year later...
Yep I had no problems with the Odyssey except for the weight and price.Russ, the battery I'm using is a Zippy Flightmax LiFePo4, 8400mah, 4s2p, 30C , 1026 grams, for $86 from hobbyking australia.

The rated amperage is 30 times 8.4, that is 252 amps. I put mine in a container to make it fit into the plane properly.

I haven't had any problems since ruining the first one by leaving the master switch on, and maybe I'm a bit over-cautious about disconnecting it as soon as the starting-draw has been replaced.

regards, Bruce

Bruce, would you by any chance, have pics of your hobby King battery showing how it is installed and how it is connected? Would be most appreciated

No problem Nick, I'll take some pics next time I go to the airfield. The battery is going just fine, it is only used it to start the engine and then it is switched out as soon as the voltage has recovered from the start-draw, and this is always well before take-off. There is a digital voltmeter on the panel to help with this.

Don't forget that these batteries are easily ruined by uncontrolled charging and by discharging below the minimum voltage. My old Odyssey recovered from a "master left on" episode, and the LiFePO4 did not. But I reckon the weight saving and cranking power are so good that I will keep with these new batteries. If fact I reckon they will start appearing in ordinary cars soon, they would already be in electric cars.

• Like 1