Factory built with Rotax Engine TBO

ave8rr

Refer my post #27. Inspect and refresh seals gaskets etc. Shelf life limits exist too and are applied for a lot of different reasons. I use a lot of parts made for WW2 machinery made at that time so they are seventy + years old. They had tropic proof packs and some of these parts are as good as new while others the protective matter may have partially failed and there is corrosion. If inspected properly they are good as new. Some materials like rubber, Bakelite, some diemetal alloys containing zinc are no good as they don't last even if not used. Sealants need renewing after a while, Magnesium alloys corrode easily.. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I have no knowledge of any being scrapped or suggested they would be (based on TIME since built). I've seen plenty with high hours running time. I'm talking the 912 series, not two strokes. Nev

Many owners of 912 series engines don't know about the calendar time expiration of their engines I've spoken to a couple with 10 and 12 yo aircraft and they didn't have a clue.

• Agree 2

like a l2 who said you don't have to have return line to tank rotax have had return line since 1997 in their installation manual

return line to tank after pump just before carby they even have a diagram showing how it is to be done

now there are new planes out there that do not comply some have a circuit just after the electric lift pump rotax have put out a notice to check carby flout I feel that there is no return line on the planes that have this problem

some of our l2 have no clue as what rotax tbo and time calendar mean

their is calendar time on rubber mounts fuel lines carby mounts oil lines

now if a magestraite says you don't have to have repair manual for any aircraft then you don't according to xxxxx

you don't have to weight and balance magestraite said so

the plane that I once owned should not have been flown in aust as it did not comply with rotax installation manual oh that don't matter

don't know how raa are going to explain no weight and balance when I get a plane cause the mag said I don't have to have it

neil

• 2 weeks later...
Or 3:laugh:

I have never seen any 'mountains' of time expired /tbo 912 being advertised .. So are they just being scrapped instead? I for one might be interested..

Have a look in the members market occasionally! there is atleast two for sale right now. They are being sold out of flying school aircraft which are required to fit new engines because L2's can't sign off an expired engine for training and hire.

The private use L1 maintained aircraft however are exempt from the L2 maintenance requirement and so these aircraft can continue to fly past the tbo and calender life regardless of weather the engine is rotax or jabiru, two stroke or four..

Refer my post #27. Inspect and refresh seals gaskets etc. Shelf life limits exist too and are applied for a lot of different reasons. I use a lot of parts made for WW2 machinery made at that time so they are seventy + years old. They had tropic proof packs and some of these parts are as good as new while others the protective matter may have partially failed and there is corrosion. If inspected properly they are good as new. Some materials like rubber, Bakelite, some diemetal alloys containing zinc are no good as they don't last even if not used. Sealants need renewing after a while, Magnesium alloys corrode easily.. Nev

Yes of course these calender expired engines can be maintained and will run on for years but it's not legal for Training and hire use as the requirement is that the engines are L2 maintained and Rotax has no "on condition scedule". So if it's being used in training and hire then a new engine is required, If it's private then L1 maintain it at your own discretion

I would be very surprised if an approved inspection and renovate procedure wasn't available from the manufacturer to restore the engine's condition to run out the remaining hours. Does the statute period commence from the sale date?. If so that would be stupid. It could be from initial start-up. Some items have a shelf life on a maintenance release. Paints oils greases instruments etc Nev

I would be very surprised if an approved inspection and renovate procedure wasn't available from the manufacturer to restore the engine's condition to run out the remaining hours. Does the statute period commence from the sale date?. If so that would be stupid. It could be from initial start-up. Some items have a shelf life on a maintenance release. Paints oils greases instruments etc Nev

date off purchase rotax do have time limits as the rotax motor in the plane that I did own is nearly ten years old but has only 374 hrs it will be completely striped to comply with rotax directions

read the bloody manual

and another fact rotax have had a return line to tank in their manual since 1997 now there are new planes that do not comply with rotax instalation manual there fore are not airworthy

contact rotax head office not rotax aust if you want facts neil

• 3 weeks later...

RAAus Nov news letter is suggesting that if an engine manufacturer does not have an "on condition" maint schedule then the engine should be overhauled once it reaches it's TBO or Calendar time. Do I read this correctly?

If that is correct then there will be a lot of 912's for overhaul that may only have a few hours on them.

Annual inspection cylinder leak check. What sort of equipment will a L 1 servicing his/her privately operated ultralight engine require to comply with the leak check reading / recording. This work is carried out by my LAME on our RV9. Looks like a lot of engines will now require the assistance of a LAME at each annual unless they purchase the necessary equipment.

Leak tests are pretty easy and are already required on Ratax 912's 100hr anyway....$100 -$200 for the tester. Also need compressed air...

Tks for the info Downunder. I wonder how many "privately operated" 912's have actually had this test done annually?? RAAus will soon require the figs to be recorded on Tech Form 023/4 stroke or 024/2 stroke and held in the log books for all engines. Perhaps Ian should sell the equipment in his "online store"

Mike