The real dangers of Lithium Ion batteries.......

Guest Maj Millard

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Earth -X guys seem to have a good product with appropriate safety features and charge protection built in. I think I'd still put them in a container which vents overboard to prevent the choking white smoke problem. Excellent weight saving at 5Kg for a PC680 size battery.

BTW lead acid batteries can fail too.

• Agree 1

The Earth -X guys seem to have a good product with appropriate safety features and charge protection built in. I think I'd still put them in a container which vents overboard to prevent the choking white smoke problem. Excellent weight saving at 5Kg for a PC680 size battery.BTW lead acid batteries can fail too.

5kg???? the PC680 is 7kg, 17Ah and only 220CCA - my Shorai LifePO4 battery is less than 1kg (996g), 18Ah and 270CCA - are you sure you're comparing apples with apples in regard of the Earth-X battery?

What you're suggesting is that the Earth-X only gives you a weight reduction of 2kg ... the Shorai saves you 6kg.

5kg???? the PC680 is 7kg, 17Ah and only 220CCA - my Shorai LifePO4 battery is less than 1kg (996g), 18Ah and 270CCA - are you sure you're comparing apples with apples in regard of the Earth-X battery?What you're suggesting is that the Earth-X only gives you a weight reduction of 2kg ... the Shorai saves you 6kg.

The earth x is 1.8kg saving about 5kg over the lead acid pc680.

5kg???? the PC680 is 7kg, 17Ah and only 220CCA - my Shorai LifePO4 battery is less than 1kg (996g), 18Ah and 270CCA - are you sure you're comparing apples with apples in regard of the Earth-X battery?What you're suggesting is that the Earth-X only gives you a weight reduction of 2kg ... the Shorai saves you 6kg.

No, I meant the Earth X gives weight saving of 5 kg which you could have confirmed by doing a quick search:

http://earthxmotorsports.com/product-category/experimental-aircraft

A safety tribute to Major............ I can remember Major giving some good advice, "Do not use them". No negotiating.Reason:- They catch fire and can not be extinguished.. He even went as far as trying to get RAAus to disallow the use of these batteries.. Last I heard he was not having much luck with RAAus management regarding this issue.

As usual he had all his evidence in order..

Regards,

KP.

I remember Maj writing about them and his opinion was that the weight saving is not worth the risk. An unextinguishable fire is life threatening.

However, since then, there are a number of Forum members who have pointed out that there is quite a safety difference between LiPo and LiFe Po batteries. Perhaps someone knows the most up-to-date information?

Yes eightyknots, the flammable batteries are Li PO's and the non-flammable are the LiFe type. There are self-launching gliders now with these LiFe batteries and they are certified by EASA. It's impressive how long it's taken us "ultralight "lot

to get up to date.

Its all in the charging system and the charging regulator. Lipos must have a charge controller either built in as in most laptop batteries or built in to the appliance. Thats where it all falls down . Guys using versions of these in rc cars charge them in a fireproof enclosure.! I dont feel inclined to ever use one in a AC. They are banned as airfreight now even the small button size rechargable ones used in some of our gps mapping devices . I have 45 years in electrotech engineering and these are the most dangerous batteries i have seen. Used correctly and in a tightly controlled charging environment they are fine, but if the charger malfunctions............not in the air not now at least maybe later as the protection systems improve.

Maybe fourth or fifth time.....no one is discussing using LiPo batteries

LiFe is whats being discussed

In a group buy for minimal of five Units can get Earth X etx680 for something like $500 aud landed in australia

Anyone interested?

• Agree 2

As promised, here is a picture of my battery box. It measures 170mm wide by 170 high by 70 deep. It is made from plywood and I painted it grey to look more technical. There is actually room for 2 of the Zippy batteries inside but I only have one and some packing.

The strip on the back is so that the Jabiru holding strap doesn't lift it up at the lower front.

I spent time worrying about whether it should have been made from metal so as to not be flammable, but I decided that the ply is less likely to cause a short and anyway there is lots of more flammable stuff there, like petrol and rubber, so the risk is acceptable to me.

IMG_0937.JPG.2c7d5487fc4e779747a5db1e2a0f9001.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I had already bought an Odyssey PC545 for my Drifter (mounts in the nose and I am trying to lose weight off my big fat gut to reduce weight all round) (?) - dumb bunny here didn't check the weight = 5.2kg.....150 CCA - $250

I hadn't considered any Lithium type of battery because of my knowledge of Lithium Polymer batteries - then I discovered LifePO4, which of course (yeah HIC, I GOT IT!!!) are a different beast altogether

I just bought a Wisun F1W210 for my 582 powered Drifter - 3.8AH - 180 CCA - 400 PCA - Max Charge Current 20 A - Weight 800 Grams - $150 delivered

I am tempted to put a temperature sensor on it (just to be sure) but I get the impression I would be wasting my time...it even has a little test button/light built into the top of it showing Low/Mid/Full charge

but you know what - this new technology has a way of making you think about the way things have always been = can a battery this light really do the job???

I hope I'm not disappointed, but I don't think I will be - we shall see...

BP

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I wish you well BP.

Hobbyking 8.4 amp-hours are nearer $100 but don't have charging electronics built in.

Most people are buying stuff like you are, and it will be easier to just treat like just another battery.

Be sure to tell us if you are happy with it after some time.

My Shorai LiFe battery has been in a box under the house for the last four years awaiting the completion of DooMaw. Amazing battery - when I packed it up it was fully charged at 14.4V, I dug it out about a month ago because the engine is in now and I'm building the panel - and it's lost hardly any charge, it's still 14.2V. Treated like that, most lead-acid types would have reached the stage whether they might not take a charge again, at all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

...can a battery this light really do the job???I hope I'm not disappointed, but I don't think I will be - we shall see...

A Sydney firm, Lithiumax Car, Boat and Bike Starter Batteries sold me my drop-in LiFePO4.It's rated at 400 CCA, has built-in management circuits and weighs only 1.6kg. Even on the coldest morning it really spins my Jab engine (I'd better keep an eye on those flywheel bolts).

It's predicted to last a decade, and requires no maintenance. Mine loses less than 0.01V per month in storage.

The light weight may require some rearranging of gear to preserve CoG.

Even the superstart marketing types are confused, they call it Lithium Ion and then say its LiFePO4 (which Id be sure it is)

The EarthX seem to have some kind of aviation credential, is that just because they are more expensive?

they do have remote fail output light

Even the superstart marketing types are confused, they call it Lithium Ion and then say its LiFePO4 (which Id be sure it is)The EarthX seem to have some kind of aviation credential, is that just because they are more expensive?

they do have remote fail output light

Have a look at Superstart's data sheet. http://www.superstart.com.au/Portals/1/LiFePO4%20Batteries%20SDS%202017.pdf