Micro light fire.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes and I 'll bet it was an Airborne.......not the first refuelling accident with a trike. My theory is that the plastic tanks exposed to the slipstream in flight build up a high static charge and it is not disapated via grounding. Plastic in those tanks may not be static safe....

Guest Maj Millard

Was talking to a friend today who flys an Airborne trike...told me every time he lands he gets a noticeable zap through his body........seems the whole wing and trike can build up quiet a bit of static especially when dry and cold.

Guest Maj Millard
Would it be plausible that this could happen in any machine that has plastic tanks exposed to the slipstream/elements?

Yes I would imagine so..........

The news last night showed an XT 912 trike, a black plastic funnel and jerry can and the pilot was reported to be in a critical condition. They are now saying it happened at Maryborough.

Guest Maj Millard

I've used Mr Funnels for over 30 years now (black ones) in combo with the red 20 Ltr fuel containers in two continents as have many many other pilots. I have never had a problem and about the only precaution I take is to make sure I ground the fuel containers (place them on the ground) before decanting from them.

This is about the third fueling fire I am aware of ( there could be more) involving trikes. After chatting with a long- time trike flyer yesterday and having him tell me that every time he touches down he get a shock go through him tells me that these machines probabily build up a high positive static charge whilst flying especially if the air is cool and dry.....I really don't feel that the black Mr Funnels are at fault here as they anti - static........Maj.....

This is quite important and we need to investigate what factors are at play here. In flight fires are bad but getting seriously burned while refuelling is another situation. MFB's have investigated plastic tank safety with cars but the emphasis there was on structural integrity. Other aspects should fall under their area of expertise like static electricity build up. I've usually just earthed all parts but I find myself not really knowing much about plastic containers or tanks. Nev

Yes and I 'll bet it was an Airborne.......not the first refuelling accident with a trike. My theory is that the plastic tanks exposed to the slipstream in flight build up a high static charge and it is not disapated via grounding. Plastic in those tanks may not be static safe....

There are quite a few aircraft with plastic tanks, e.g. X-Air Hanuman, Skyranger. How come these don't have the fire problems?

Guest Maj Millard
There are quite a few aircraft with plastic tanks, e.g. X-Air Hanuman, Skyranger. How come these don't have the fire problems?

Maybe they don't produce the same amount of static electricity as a trike wing travelling through the air.........,....

If your tank isn't made of the right stuff, what would be a safe procedure?. Anyhow we are talking about it and that is a good thing. I think a bit of real research is needed on this matter. Probably our majority of refuelling is done from drums and it pays to put that through a filter too. Nev.