Recreational Flying vs Facebook

Admin

Ian in a nutshell you need to jump on the wankers who post nothing but negative posts...continually. Your can easily put them on the ignore list but in the meantime they have done nobody any good and have pissed the real posters off. These people do nothing for the forum .I know we have lost many good contributing posters over the year, and in most cases they say they can't handle the negative members.......your forum has gone down and will continue to go down unless you take care of this area.......Maj....

Madge,

In defence of the moderation of this Forum, you might recall that myself, Turbo and others were quite vocal about goings on within the Board & Management RAA several years ago.

Some would have regarded that as strongly negative at that time and Andy was one who got quite upset with us, until he followed up on all the issues that we raised and he then became one of us.

Although we did offer positive suggestions on what was needed to set the joint straight.

That all lead to the EGM and we were vindicated in almost all of our previous negativity and criticism.

You + Andy are part of the new broom that have (thankfully) taken up the running on the Board in the aftermath of the EGM.

Similarly, I find some of the negativity here on the Jab issue to be way over the top, but there does appear to be some underlying issue there that needs attention by somebody.

In my view the Moderators have it about right in moderating the issues. They could perhaps jump on some of the negative dills a bit more often or issue a warning/sanction note more often to those that are serial offenders or way over the top negative knockers, if needed .... which I assume they probably already do.

Regards Geoff

• Helpful 1

Hi Ian,

I agree that moderation is a the fine line, tight-rope walking, balancing act that would be impossible to get right to everyone's satisfaction. Captain the "RAT" made some good points about some hard-hitting commentary that was permitted to remain without the moderator's knife doing its thing. Ultimately, good came from it.

I truly think, the level of moderation is about right. There are some who wear negative glasses and, all to often, see something negative in what another person has posted, possibly before reading the post properly. It is hard to just moderate these posts out because often a subsequent post clarifies what was meant. There are also one or two that have posted on here, in my opinion, simply to gain some kind of attention for themselves following the precept: "all publicity is good publicity". They seem to like to see themselves in print, no matter what nonsense they insert into a serious discussion. Sometimes, this gets a bit annoying but not too often because they usually get largely ignored.

I really like Recreational Flying because it is a wonderful resource, filled with likeminded forumites with a wealth of collective knowledge. I am not sure if large, wholesale changes to this site are really necessary. I just like it the way it is!

• Winner 3

This forum is the only social contact i have ,aviation wise on a regular basis .

Its been a valuble resorce on the avocet project , and has for me been better value than a Shrinks 2 bobs worth !

I think this site is.....

( stuffed up ) ( i phone).

unique in the forum world ,and not so buisy that its hard to keep up with , more options ? I guesse some need more , im hapy just to plod away on the i phone .

Mike

This forum is the only social contact i have ,aviation wise on a regular basis .Its been a valuble resorce on the avocet project , and has for me been better value than a Shrinks 2 bobs worth !

I think this site is.....

( stuffed up ) ( i phone).

unique in the forum world ,and not so buisy that its hard to keep up with , more options ? I guesse some need more , im hapy just to plod away on the i phone .

Mike

It's people like you that make me enjoy this site, you designed and built your plan, crashed and rebuilt it, you have tried aftermarket accessories, LCH, injection etc. you are an inspiration and down to earth. I saw your plane years ago at Naromine I think and I was impressed, always thought your design would make a great floatplane. Keep posting Mike, enjoy your valuable input.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest problem with any forum is the anonymity people enjoy by creating internet personas. They can blast away with ridiculous comments with virtually no fear because none of us know who they are. Cowardly, hidden hecklers at the back of the auditorium!

Professional sites like Linked-In prevent that happening by simply insisting on real names and real photos. I think a lot of sanitisation would be achieved here if we had to use our real names alongside the avatars and nicknames we invent for ourselves, or if our signature contained our name. That's why I've always been happy to sign off with my ID and use a photo of myself as my avatar.

Certainly enjoy browsing the site and have occasionally contributed, but goodness knows what some of you do besides sit here all day and night judging from the frequency and sheer volume of your posts! I guess my aviation is richer for it though.......

One addition I would like to see is an Amphibious group.

Cheers, and well done Ian.