RAAus Membership

fly_tornado

oh sh...

I would have thought as a single topic forum, this forum's vitality would be linked to the vitality of the recreational aviation industry.

The other issue is that everyone knows everyone else's position on most issues, so a lot of the time its just going over old ground.

On a more positive note, Maj how are the new signups going with the RAA, is business picking up?

Guest Maj Millard
oh sh...I would have thought as a single topic forum, this forum's vitality would be linked to the vitality of the recreational aviation industry.

The other issue is that everyone knows everyone else's position on most issues, so a lot of the time its just going over old ground.

On a more positive note, Maj how are the new signups going with the RAA, is business picking up?

FT, membership numbers (rise of fall) is something I am watching very closely ATM as a boardmember, seems there is a natural rise and fall of around 200 or so, so hard at times to pin down which way things are going at times. I will continue to watch this closely....so far the office reports nothin of note in either direction.........Maj....

like any thing with young people is that they( broadly speaking ) tend to do whats portrayed on the big screen ,

Give them a modern day biggles to role model ?

Any one interested in filming a RAA blockbuster ,????

• Informative 1

Guest Maj Millard
Ross, what have you learnt from your monitoring, you've been on the board for over a year now? Do you ever contact members when they leave or join?

I haven't personally...other than the ones I push to join....but don't know if someone in the office has kept tabs, not a bad idea...I'll talk to someone next weekend when I am in Canberra for the strategy meeting.......

Guest Andys@coffs

Actually that is a good idea, when a new member joins we should find out how and why what motivated them to start looking, and equally when someone doesn't renew same thing.......We should also, now that we have peoples email try and target a statistically relevant sized group from time to time and get views on their perceptions of RAAus, are they satisfied, what extra do they want, what P's them off etc

Once we have that info we might be able to do some data mining and see if there are any obvious trends in years leading up to departure that would show us thete is a risk of loosing a member, find out if we can do anything to offset. For example if on average a person has flown about 50hrs a year then in the 3 years before leaving that became 30, then 10 then left the reduction might be enough to identify we have a problem...

Thanks FT great idea!

Andy

I am a newish member 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif. Why did I joinRAA?

Because I wanted to learn to fly, I was to fat to learn in an R22 helicopter and the R44 was prohibitively expensive.

So I thought I'll try gliding. Ooops to fat.

Next place I walked into was an RAA school and asked if they could teach a fat bugga like me to fly. The answer I got was yep that plane over there with full tanks, this one here with half tank and that other one around the corner with enough for 1 or 2 circuits. OK I can live with that lets go with the full tank one shall we, thats why I learned in the Foxbat and one of the criteria for learning was I had to join RAA. So I joined. Much the same as I had to do exams so I did. The magazine the website the forums all came after the TIF.

So I decided while I am doing this flying thing I better lose some weight. The ironic thing now is that I can now carry 35 litres more fuel and I could now learn to fly an R22 if I still wanted to and a glider. I may try that gliding lark yet.

Cheers Geoff13

• Like 3

I'm wondering if it is possible to monitor any migration to RPL. Because there seems to be a push towards the RPL, potential or current RAA members that are a little on the heavy side may look at that as an easier path to their goals. Not really a level playing field now is it .?

Sing out if you want to go for some Gliding lessons Geoff , I might tag along and have a go myself....

JimG

I joined RAA in 2013. Strangely enough, it was reading QF32 that made me want to have a go at flying.

At that time, I thought the only option was GA/PPL and so thought (as almost every non-flyer I know also does) that learning to fly is hugely expensive and very difficult, hence you wouldn't do it unless you wanted to work as a pilot. Looking at flying school websites I found out about RAA.

If I had known more about the recreational side of aviation, I probably would have had a go a lot earlier. Most people I know are still surprised to hear about recreational aviation - when they think of pilots they envisage white shirts and caps etc.

Would it be cost effective to promote recreational flying to a broad audience? I don't know, perhaps only those who would have found RAA through other means would sign up anyway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm wondering if it is possible to monitor any migration to RPL. Because there seems to be a push towards the RPL, potential or current RAA members that are a little on the heavy side may look at that as an easier path to their goals. Not really a level playing field now is it .?Sing out if you want to go for some Gliding lessons Geoff , I might tag along and have a go myself....

JimG

That is one possibility if I don't find a suitable RAA aircraft.

And yes the gliding is always a possibility just to see what its like. I do like the look of a couple of those motor glider thingo's

Cheers Geoff13

• Informative 1

like any thing with young people is that they( broadly speaking ) tend to do whats portrayed on the big screen ,Give them a modern day biggles to role model ?

Any one interested in filming a RAA blockbuster ,????

Jack flyer can put in the script!$$$$$$$. And I'm , I mean jack is the modern day biggles I've just been informed. Lol

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Jack flyer can put in the script!$$$$$$$. And I'm , I mean jack is the modern day biggles I've just been informed. Lol

Sonds like it might allready have the wheels in motion (WIM) .

Anybody got Speilberge on speed dial ?

Mike.

• Like 1

When I joined a few years ago I had know idea what the RA-AUS was or that in fact it was an option for flying. As part of my studies, my uni started to offer a subject which included 20 hours of flying towards the RPC. I then went on to finish my RPC and gain the PAX and Nav endorsements.

RA-AUS provides a straight forward and much cheaper way of flying newly built and often well equipped aircraft. I have considered getting my PPL (solely for the CTA endorsement) however I can't justify spending over $300 to hire an aircraft 30 plus years old, when for half the price I can fly a brand new Jabiru that does the job. Now I just need to find the Jabiru with a VH rego so I can complete the RPL and gain that CTA endorsement all would be well!

Sport Pilot magazine seems to have disapeared from the shelves of my local newsagent.

In the past i've often struck up a conversation with anyone I see picking up a copy, and have often had the reply that it was something they'd like to get into.

If it is only freely available to members, many who would be otherwise be attracted to it, miss out, and so potentially does the organisation.

What the hell happened to just getting into an aircraft and flying for the fun of it. I thought it was called RECREATIONAL (you know, fun) aviation. Where the hell did the empire builders, golden handshakes, drunken GM's and bureaucratic bul..it come from. Some people need to take a big step back, get a reality check and think. The early guys in this sport did it for the sheer fun of it, why aren't we?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

They've taken it off as a test to see if they can save money so the empire builders can do something else with the money to loose it...

Hope that does not prove to be too counter-productive in attracting potential newcomers, but my guess is that it'll have some affect.

walks into news agent.sees a guy standing near warbirds magazine.

psst hey buddy, yeah you, looking for a bit of action

opens trench coat to reveal old copies of sport pilot.

Clear Prop Shop could sell trench coats so members can sell old copies to pay for more flying:plane::rotary:

I just got home from a work medical which was carried out at a medical clinic here on the Gold Coast and smack bang on the middle of magazine table was a Sport Pilot magazine.

Hope you left it, where you found it Dazza

Guest Maj Millard
Hope that does not prove to be too counter-productive in attracting potential newcomers, but my guess is that it'll have some affect.

So am I taking it that you are not a current member Planedriver ?