RAAus Member Insurance

Admin

Guest Maj Millard
4 weeks after a face to face meeting, hardly annual. But quite frankly I no longer care. A Safety Bulletin on how to fill a fuel tank, really! What's next how to pump up a tyre. Shades of a CASA approach, just keep producing more directives. Lost my interest I'm afraid.

Frank, the constitution requires we have two face to face meetings a year, count em two...which we have had. This has been in place now longterm since our constitution was written ...nothing has changed. The meeting next weekend is not a board meeting but a special meeting called by the President, and will be attended by many other non- board people. See it instead as the same type of meeting as the CFI- instructors conference to be held the following week in DUBBO. Most RAA CFIs and instructors will be doing all that on their own back and expenses by the way for the betterment of your organization.

In respect to the "Safety bulletin to fill a fuel tank " that you mention...it is a correct response by the tech manager to three fueling incidents now where members have recieved severe burns through incorrect fueling techniques. More than warranted in my opinion for the safety of all.

In keeping with the boards decisions to provide additional member benifits, and the CEOs responsibility to find us the best insurance deal whilst saving money, the new insurance deal was decided upon...greater coverage for the members at no additional cost, plus a more flexible insurance company that is talking to us about customising our requirements for the best possible coverage, and much more good news to come.....what's not to like ?...seems we will always have whingers on this forum whatever we do!..........

As a full member and aircraft owner Is it whinging to say I do not want a fee increase?

Should members that don't have the same opinion of the board be stifled and intimidated into shutting up?

• Agree 1

Guest Andys@coffs

I believe I post passionately in support of what I believe, however I want people to pull me up if they feel I intimidate or stifle because at heart I believe we are all entitled to our points of view.

If however you are arguing that any POV not equal to yours is intimidation and stifling in action then I reject that.

I agree that the likely consensus among members is that given the choice of a fee rise or not most will take the or not option, however the board is tasked with operating for the organisations best interests, which does not necessarily mean in a single (or multiple) members best interest. I too would prefer that our insurance doesn't increase, but let me ask you, how well has that worked for you in your private insurances over the years? The single best thing we can do to prevent year on year insurance increases is to not do things that lead to claims...... Our behaviours have much more control on insurance costs than our preferences for cost control.

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs

Actually A question worth asking in the context of insurance and indeed overall membership costs is, what do the other RAAO's charge their members and what do they get in terms of insurance coverage for that cost?

Anyone a member of HGFA, or ASRA, or SAAA or GFA?

Answering the question wont tell us if what we are doing is efficient (clearly we have room to move WRT efficiency) but will tell us how we compare.....I suspect we probably compare well...as some may argue we really should due to size and its associated economies of scale....but even so I suspect it will be a useful comparison I reckon

So come on you guys who belong to other groups tell us what it costs and what do you get insurance wise

Andy

P.S some of the insurance limits we increased weren't just CPI they were increases to provide cover to a level more closely aligned with the costs of something your aircraft might hit......For example, I think the old cover for your aircraft hitting and damaging another aircraft was $25k.....and that only paid if you were PIC at the time. If it was parked and no one saw what happened but your ended up on top of another you were covered for zip......Now its $100k whether your PIC or the aircraft is just parked....