Radio Communications in Controlled Class D Airspace

Radio Communications in Class D Airspace

What to Expect

Could also be titled, 'Everything you've ever wanted to know about VFR radio communications in Class D. controlled airspace, but were too afraid to ask.'

Or: 'Save $1000 on Flight Training'

Okay, so you want to learn how to talk to a Control Tower. It's actually not as hard as it may seem at first. I speak from recent experience, when I had to master flying in and out of Moorabbin Airport, in Melbourne. As a student pilot, I was always accustomed to the pilot controlled CTAF broadcasts, having done most of my training at the little Bacchus Marsh country aerodrome. When I went to Moorabbin to do more training there, I had to find out quickly how to operate in Class D, and at first I thought it would be too much to master quickly. But with lots and lots and lots of homework, lots of instruction and a number of hours of training flights, within a week I was doing just fine.

So I suppose another subtitle for this article would be 'Getting from Bacchus Marsh to Moorabbin, intellectually.'

Usually when you're learning Class D radio procedures, your instructor will give you an abbreviated little printout a couple of pages long with a list of examples of typical calls made in Moorabbin, but not a lot of 'WHY'. These documents are good for an instant concept of it, but I have decided to write this article for anyone who wants to know the reasons behind all the different points, because strangely, I couldn't find any step-by-step type of educational material like this already in existence to learn from. So I made a lot of mistakes!

Wanna know what they were? Read on.

So this document is a resume for myself and anyone else who wants to read it, of all the things I learnt from instructors, publications, and experienced in practice while earning my competencies of flying in Class D.

I will say that reading this and mastering the techniques given here will enable you to totally understand the transition from pilot controlled to tower controlled airspace, and could easily save you around $1000 of dual flight time, because you will not need to be trained on it by your instructor either on the ground, or on the fly. And, you won't make all my mistakes! It can also save hours of internet searches and reading random pages from this and that, because as far as I have so far found, it's all here. I sure wish I had read a write-up like this before I trained last month, I would have saved at least a grand.

Actually it's amazing that I am still alive today to write this, considering what I didn't know when I started training there. So read and learn!

CLICK HERE TO READ THE WHOLE PDF...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29841971/RADIO%20COMMUNICATIONS%20IN%20CONTROLLED%20CLASS%20D%20AIRSPACE.pdf

IT COULD BE WORTH IT!

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

This is nice, thanks for taking the time to put that together! I think getting down the "flow" is important - everything you need to know is really in the ERSA, but understanding "why" and "when" helps it come together, and this doc really looks like it would be helpful in understanding that - at which point the ERSA simply becomes a reference as intended and not a "how to", which its not.

Like you, I did my training at a busy class D (Bankstown) so had to cope with all this from day 1 - I think I have it mostly down now, though sometimes i can get a little bit confused if a taxi instruction comes along that is complex and wasn't what I was expecting, OR when they change circuit direction in the middle of things.

Best thing I ever did to help my radio work is asked my instructor to take me to the tower and intro me to the guys. It really helped to just chat with them and see that they're just ordinary guys and gals and you can talk to them. And as long as you are professional and concise, don't be afraid to talk to them in plain English if necessary!!

Thanks again mutley and welcome to the forum!!

In my early days I went to the tower whenever possible Spent a lot of time at Mascot. Time well spent. Most of us are apprehensive , Moreso at first. Speak slower and clearly and don't drag it out. Think about what you have to say before pressing the button. Nev

• Agree 1

Great learning resource thanks Mutley.

I just completed the airspace and aerodrome endorsements and like you, found scant info on 'why', just a lot of examples of what to do. wish I had been able to read this a few weeks ago! Good on you...

Have had the chance read this through in detail now, and just had a couple of observations:

At Bankstown airport the run up bays are near the departure holding points. For departing flights (not circuits), I was taught to:

• start the engine and then contact Bankstown Ground for taxi clearance

• proceed to the run up bays on the way to the designated holding point

• do the engine run up checks in the run up bays

• then proceed to the holding point and contact Bankstown tower.

I guess it depends on the layout of the particular airport which sequence would make sense. In Canberra I observed aircraft doing run up tests in the GA apron area, then contacting Canberra Ground and advising "run ups complete" in their taxi clearance call.

Secondly, the altitude at which to enter CTR when inbound can be different depending on the runways in use. When inbound to Bankstown, if RWY 29 is in use, you are instructed to maintain 1,500' until you report downwind, then it's a quick descent to 1000' before turning base. If RWY 11 is in use, you enter the CTR at 1,000' and you are cleared for a straight-in approach.

I liked your suggested shorthand for writing down the taxi instructions, and will be using those.

Will you be producing a similar description of operations in class C airspace? (Hope so...)

Yes you're right, there will be differences for each locale, and that's the beauty of those VPGs from CASA. I really like them.

I won't be flying in Class C for some time (measured in years, unfotunately). But I think I would be inclined to experience Class C for more than just 9 hours (which is how much I logged at Moorabbin before writing that) before I felt game to do anything so detailed. There is quite a lot more to it to know, I'm sure.

But I like to maintain that nothing is impossible, where I am concerned. Maybe I'll fly in Class C next week, who knows?!

Yeah, but they can do it a lot faster than I can, and as we know, clean configuration commercial craft can create considerable conical currents. My old CFI flew behind a 747 a little too soon in s 172, and the twist was so violent that it cracked the windshield from the right wingroot all the way across to the nose. I'm not scared of it, I just think I'll wait till its time comes and I have gotten a lot more accustomed to towers in general.

Plus, I don't fancy spending my fuel and engine-time money on taxiways that are longer than all of Moorabbin's runways combined.

Not to mention the exorbitant landing and parking fees!

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
Guest Howard Hughes
and as we know, clean configuration commercial craft can create considerable conical currents.

Wake turbulence is greatest at high angles of attack, most commonly on approach and just after take off!

A simple format for most radio calls in Class D

Who are you addressing?

Who are you?

What's the weather like (ATIS information)?

Where are you?

What are your intentions?

So a typical inbound call might be:

Who are you addressing? Moorabbin Tower

Who are you? Skyfox XXXX

What's the weather like? Received information Oscar

Where are you? Carrum, 1500

What are your intentions? Inbound

And a typical taxi call might be:

Who are you addressing? Moorabbin Ground

Who are you? Skyfox XXXX

What's the weather like? Received information Quebec

Where are you? In the southern runup bay

What are your intentions? Request taxi to runway 17L for Sugarloaf

Ready to head off?

Who are you? Skyfox XXXX

What's the weather like? Received information Tango

Where are you? Ready 17L

What are your intentions? For Sugarloaf

Of course, you still have to remember to read back all clearances...taxiing to rwy 31 left or right is a bit of a mouthfull :)

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes
Moorabbin Tower[/color]

Who are you? Skyfox XXXX

What's the weather like? Received information Oscar

Where are you? Carrum, 1500

What are your intentions? Inbound

And a typical taxi call might be:

Who are you addressing? Moorabbin Ground

Who are you? Skyfox XXXX

What's the weather like? Received information Quebec

Where are you? In the southern runup bay

What are your intentions? Request taxi to runway 17L for Sugarloaf

Ready to head off?

Who are you? Skyfox XXXX

What's the weather like? Received information Tango

Where are you? Ready 17L

What are your intentions? For Sugarloaf

Of course, you still have to remember to read back all clearances...taxiing to rwy 31 left or right is a bit of a mouthfull :)

I dare say it's a little easier than that, most radio calls (both CTA & OCTA) can be summed up by:

- Who you are

- Where you are

- Where you are going

- And how you intend to get there...

• 3 weeks later...

Coincidence that i decide i need to understand radio better and I get to the forum and its one of the active artciles!!

I understand class d well enough (or so i think), but i must admit im a bit hazy on the process to go from a Class D aerodrome through Class G to a Class C aerodrome (such as Archerfield YBAF to Gold Coast YBCG), any guides that explain that kind of scenario? Ive got a little book that has a lot of scenarios in it (Aviation Theory Centres Visual Flight Guide) but i still find it quiet unclear as to the process of getting entering..

I think it consists of when outside YBAF's class D, that i contact Brisbane Centre and request clearance, at which point i believe they will give me a squawk and some directions.. but I don't quite get at what point i should contact them..

Any where to look at for good reading?

November Foxtrot, I'd use the guide above as the backbone of your calls, when you are in Class G call for a clearance with sufficient time for the controller to make the decision and relay it to you, so 5 - 10 minutes prior to the airspace boundary would be good, have a plan if he/she says "NovemberFoxtrot clearance NOT available remain outside Class Charlie airspace", if you 1min from a VCA and have limited options you have left it too late to call, also if you tune the frequency early to guage the level of traffic on the frequency that will help, you might think it is busy and want to call a little early, make sure you have your transponder on and the correct code 1200 or 3000.