X-Air Standard Performance?

seb7701

100% correct. I agree and responsibility is paramount. I could have listed this as 600kg but that would have been stupid. The agent quoted 544kg, and I have seen nothing to change that. I do not regularly fly anywhere near MTOW but its there if needed.

• Like 2

Hi, what's the glide like if there was an engine out?

Would it be possible to do a bit or feeling the air - by which I mean some basic thermalling in this type of aircraft (of course all legal with engine running)

I've only been for a short fly in an XAir and the owner pilot did make the landing approach a at fairly steep angle.

• 11 months later...
Mine is registered at 490kg as per the maximum design weight submitted to RAA by the manufacturer in the operating manual https://www.raa.asn.au/safety/airworthiness/(Scroll down) as opposed to the RAA MTOW at the time.I had no choice in the matter.

I would give the tech manager a call to be certain

Jason

That link just doesn't work !

They have changed the website so that may be the problem. Strange that the Xair, with floats fitted is rated higher than a standard equiped aircraft. Re the 618 equiped Xair, they do travel a little faster but the motor problems with the reed valves and support from the factory make these a little sus. The Xair Falcon, with a 618 does have a speed advantage but this aircraft definitely does not need flaps and the one I flew from Vic to NSW was not the best handling machine. That may have been the setup. The standard seems to be the pick of them.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi folks, I bought an X-air F model yesterday from a good friend of mine in snow covered Indiana, but I'll wait till it thaws out up there before I leave our nice 80 degree sky ranch, down here 80 miles east of El Paso, Texas, to go fetch it. I hear that the aspect ratio on the F model is different from the standard, is that true that it has less wingspan, and is a couple of knots faster?

Hi folks, I bought an X-air F model yesterday from a good friend of mine in snow covered Indiana, but I'll wait till it thaws out up there before I leave our nice 80 degree sky ranch, down here 80 miles east of El Paso, Texas, to go fetch it. I hear that the aspect ratio on the F model is different from the standard, is that true that it has less wingspan, and is a couple of knots faster?

The X Air Standard has a 9.8 metre wingspan. The F has a wingspan of 10.05 metres, so the F has a slightly higher wingspan.

Furthermore, the X Air Standard stalls at 26 knots (30 mph) while the F stalls at 27 knots (31 mph) no flaps and 23 knots (27 mph) with flaps.

The cruise speeds are also different: 56 knots (65 mph) for the Standard and 59 knots (68 mph) for the X Air F. <---these are for the Rotax 582.

There doesn't seem to be that much difference really.

1789036812_BRIEANDASK21.jpg.90f4922519ac63b8193ae2a0400f7a0e.jpg

The X Air Standard has a 9.8 metre wingspan. The F has a wingspan of 10.05 metres, so the F has a slightly higher wingspan.Furthermore, the X Air Standard stalls at 26 knots (30 mph) while the F stalls at 27 knots (31 mph) no flaps and 23 knots (27 mph) with flaps.

The cruise speeds are also different: 56 knots (65 mph) for the Standard and 59 knots (68 mph) for the X Air F. <---these are for the Rotax 582.

There doesn't seem to be that much difference really.

Thanks. I know that I am going to enjoy it, as I will be able to have my sweetie pie in the plane with me, able to see over the panel, something not possible in my 1940 Taylorcraft. I was curious what the numbers were. I'm glad that it has a BETTER aspect ratio, (Can't help it, I'm also a high performance Glider pilot, that's me on the left in the photo, next to the ASK-21 that I had just climbed out of).

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

My X-Air finished at 259kg empty with headsets, ipad, aera 500 and performance I very happy with, Just finished flying the 25 test hours and happy to have the just received my full rego on 4th.

been to wet and windy to push it to fly lately but having a ball :) X country endorsement is my next goal...

My version is a little up to the standard weight having the new gloss skins and the mods I made to suit me being a wheelchair pilot, extra wide entry and a center rudder / throttle control etc and flies like a gem...

I will post an update soon on a new design wood prop to compare the performance with the bolly on it now

My brother filmed me having some fun before all the rain soaked my runway..

Pete

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

The only disadvantage I found with wooden props is the bad habit wood props have or turning into paddlepop sticks when flying through rain squalls. Composite props dont have that problem, but if wet weather flying aint going to happen then the new wooden one could be interesting.

• Agree 1

The only disadvantage I found with wooden props is the bad habit wood props have or turning into paddlepop sticks when flying through rain squalls. Composite props dont have that problem, but if wet weather flying aint going to happen then the new wooden one could be interesting.

yes true about the weather, did you have a wood on yours at first?

No, I bought a new 3 blade composite Australian made in Queensland (brolga) but the manufacturer was bought out by Bolly. I believe there is nothing wrong with the wooden ones, I just have never owned one (but a mate had one on his single seater pup for a while.

• Agree 1

• 10 months later...

Robinsm and Paul G do the pitch blocks supplied by bolly fit the Brolga Props or do I need to buy an entirely new Bolly Prop to change the Blade angle ???? New Xair Standard Owner

I dont know, never having owned a brolly prop. I did buy new pitch blocks from the states in sizes 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 degree but finished up using the recommended 16 degree ones from brolga. (that being said, I had to enlarge the bolt holes in the American ones but that was simply a matter of running the correct drill size through the holes. The supplied Australian pitch blocks were fine.

• Like 1

Robinsm and Paul G do the pitch blocks supplied by bolly fit the Brolga Props or do I need to buy an entirely new Bolly Prop to change the Blade angle ???? New Xair Standard Owner

ShaneA,

The Bolly props don't have pitch blocks mate but they are adjustable.

This link should help you out http://bollyaviation.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/BOS-3-instructions.pdf

Jason

• Helpful 1

Hey Shane,

I have a Bolly carbon prop on mine which has a two piece main hub the blades sandwich between and gives me what ever pitch I want to set it to, the Brolga prop with pitch blocks are probably easier to set as you just buy the block you want.

I used a digital pitch meter to set my blades which took time to set right, the pic below is mine one before we bolted it together :)

RIMG3316.JPG.7c85dc839962ba8b65923eb5bf8cf89e.JPG

cheers Pete

x-air1.jpg.1d9e1b0f50c1ed5d558ff85bab9fded8.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

X-Air Standard vs Flaps - a few thoughts.

I fly an X-Air Flaps (618) but have also flown the standard model (582). Here's what I reckon.

Common to both models:

Brilliant undercarriage - the shocks make slightly dodgy landings seem great. Easy to keep the nose wheel up on rough strips when landing (and taxing with practice)

Great Brakes combined with very low stall speeds - for a very short landing roll if needed especially useful for crosswind landings if you happen to let the centerline drift because you didn't drop the wing by the right amount.

Fifty is Nifty - both models work well at 50kts. Differences in speed are slight. While the Flaps model is theoretically quicker, there are MANY other factors that effect speed when we are talking about only 5-10kts... Such as Prop pitch, how well the wing and fuselage skins are fitted, how much wind enters the cockpit (through the doors and roof) and very importantly are the ailerons perfectly tensioned and aligned with the wing (even 5mm out will cost you a couple of knots).

Fantastic Cockpit View - lovely low instrument panel line allows the pilot to see the runway on best angle of climb and when flaring out a little high on landing. Almost unbeatable for precautionary search and landings ... really don't need to drop a wing to check out a potential landing area at 400ft agl. Very useful if you are out of your depth on a gusty or thermally day and looking put it down on an out strip. Also allows a passenger to easily look out for wildlife while your focused on the landing area.

Comfortable Ergonomic Cockpit: Great seats with headrests, easy to leave your hands comfortably on the throttle and joystick ( never feels like grabbing a monkey bar to adjust the throttle). Plenty of control movement on all controls making it easy to set rpm exactly the first time, set an angle of bank exactly where you want it etc quickly from habit.

Tons of rudder authority: they both like to lead with the rudder. Even at near stall the rudder is still very usable. Also the high thrust line means that if you are low and slow on approach and get hit by a thermal over the keys just increase the throttle momentarily and the prop wash will stiffen up the rudder allowing you to level the offending wing quickly and continue your landing in most cases.

High thrust line: yep the prop is up nice and high. This is what I love most about the X-Airs. Prop damage is so minimised. The prop blades are well away from stones ... just wonderful for dirt strips. I think it also reduces the p-effect.

Flaps Model Advantage:

Flaps: while the flaps do lower the stall speed you will probably never really use them for this as the plane lands so slowly anyway. The BIG advantage is that the flaps allow you to descend and land easily with some power on. This is great to regulate your temps on a 2 stroke motor. It also allows you to drag the plane in to land GA style for ridiculously short landing rolls. They will also allow a steeper climb angle on take off BUT you really need to watch your speed like a hawk to get much advantage on take off.

Fuel and Range: The flaps model allows you to put an extra 40 liter tank above the cockpit between the wing roots. While this tank is a bugger to fill (need a ladder) it means the flaps model is good for 5hrs flying with 30min reserve with a 618.

Advantage of Standard Model:

Plenty of them: therefore easier to find and buy in good condition secondhand and usually cheaper.

Totally fine with out flaps: to be honest I rarely bother to use the flaps on my flaps model.

Shorter Wing: makes it easier to get in and out of the hangar etc.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
X-Air Standard vs Flaps - a few thoughts.I fly an X-Air Flaps (618) but have also flown the standard model (582). Here's what I reckon.

Common to both models:

Brilliant undercarriage - the shocks make slightly dodgy landings seem great. Easy to keep the nose wheel up on rough strips when landing (and taxing with practice)

Great Brakes combined with very low stall speeds - for a very short landing roll if needed especially useful for crosswind landings if you happen to let the centerline drift because you didn't drop the wing by the right amount.

Fifty is Nifty - both models work well at 50kts. Differences in speed are slight. While the Flaps model is theoretically quicker, there are MANY other factors that effect speed when we are talking about only 5-10kts... Such as Prop pitch, how well the wing and fuselage skins are fitted, how much wind enters the cockpit (through the doors and roof) and very importantly are the ailerons perfectly tensioned and aligned with the wing (even 5mm out will cost you a couple of knots).

Fantastic Cockpit View - lovely low instrument panel line allows the pilot to see the runway on best angle of climb and when flaring out a little high on landing. Almost unbeatable for precautionary search and landings ... really don't need to drop a wing to check out a potential landing area at 400ft agl. Very useful if you are out of your depth on a gusty or thermally day and looking put it down on an out strip. Also allows a passenger to easily look out for wildlife while your focused on the landing area.

Comfortable Ergonomic Cockpit: Great seats with headrests, easy to leave your hands comfortably on the throttle and joystick ( never feels like grabbing a monkey bar to adjust the throttle). Plenty of control movement on all controls making it easy to set rpm exactly the first time, set an angle of bank exactly where you want it etc quickly from habit.

Tons of rudder authority: they both like to lead with the rudder. Even at near stall the rudder is still very usable. Also the high thrust line means that if you are low and slow on approach and get hit by a thermal over the keys just increase the throttle momentarily and the prop wash will stiffen up the rudder allowing you to level the offending wing quickly and continue your landing in most cases.

High thrust line: yep the prop is up nice and high. This is what I love most about the X-Airs. Prop damage is so minimised. The prop blades are well away from stones ... just wonderful for dirt strips. I think it also reduces the p-effect.

Flaps Model Advantage:

Flaps: while the flaps do lower the stall speed you will probably never really use them for this as the plane lands so slowly anyway. The BIG advantage is that the flaps allow you to descend and land easily with some power on. This is great to regulate your temps on a 2 stroke motor. It also allows you to drag the plane in to land GA style for ridiculously short landing rolls. They will also allow a steeper climb angle on take off BUT you really need to watch your speed like a hawk to get much advantage on take off.

Fuel and Range: The flaps model allows you to put an extra 40 liter tank above the cockpit between the wing roots. While this tank is a bugger to fill (need a ladder) it means the flaps model is good for 5hrs flying with 30min reserve with a 618.

Advantage of Standard Model:

Plenty of them: therefore easier to find and buy in good condition secondhand and usually cheaper.

Totally fine with out flaps: to be honest I rarely bother to use the flaps on my flaps model.

Shorter Wing: makes it easier to get in and out of the hangar etc.

That is a useful comparison, xair327!

That is a useful comparison, xair327!

The Xair 582 also has the advantage of being able to add a "camel Hump" onto the fuel tank to increase the fuel capacity. I did this and added 40lts (tot 92lts) to the Xair. Because the

mass is centred on the cross member under your backside, the cog moved about 4cm, still well withing rating. Just be very carefull making the camel humps as the type of resin etc is critical.) I have flown both, the 618 flaps was slightly faster, but still found no use for the flaps, the 582 std was brilliant if about 5kts slower. Great aircraft, slow but very forgiving. Travell most of NSW in mine from Goulburn to Br/Hill, Cameron corner, Inverell, Armidale etc. The take off and landing rolls in both are ridiculously short. Great suspension, great rough paddock landing aircraft.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Jabiru powered X-Air performance?

I have a mate who owns a 618 powered standard X-Air. It is going just fine, but with 450hrs of trouble free low stress operation, thoughts are now divided between a full rebuild versus a repower with a new fourstroke engine.

He would prefer a fourstroke (for all the usual reasons).

How successful is the Jabiru 2.2 engine in the standard X-Air?

Would like to hear from owners/ pilots who have flown the 2.2 powered versions.

We live and fly in the coldest state, so I believe overheating may not be as big an issue here.

Thanks in advance,

WBY

HI I have only flown the 582 and 618 in an X-air. There's limited info around on the differences between the rotax and jab engines in X-airs.

Xair Standard and F Models - ByDanJohnson.com

Xair Ireland Web Site - Xair Engine Options

Xair Peformance - Xairuk.com - The Wessex Light Aeroplane Company

Make sure to read this one especially the second article

X-Air Australia - XAIR Ultralight Aircraft

I'm in the same boat as you with an aging 618 (400 hrs) that is going fine and being used for about 90 hrs per year. For me personally I will probably just go with a rebuild on the 618 from Rotax Rick ( Pricing) for under $A 5000 after freight. It should then be good for 450 to 500 hours. I reckon about $10 an hour for a motor is pretty good.

I too have looked at 4 stroke options. The Jab would be nice I guess but there is no guarantee it will last any longer than a rebuilt 618. It also requires new engine mounts, cables and instruments.... All in a New Jab 2200 conversion is near $19K. Even if it runs for 1000 hrs it still works out almost twice as much per hour as a rebuilt 618. Sure 2 stroke oil costs, the 618 burns a couple of liters of fuel extra and I don't like Rotax prices but there is a big difference between $5K and $19K on an aircraft that would be lucky to sell for $14K.

There is also an interesting alternative if you are set on a new 4 stroke.... Aeromomentum ( Aeromomentum Aircraft Engine AM10 ) probably less than $13K all in conversion , fuel injected, light and 1500 hr TBO.

Good luck, please don't think I'm any expert on this one... I'm hoping to make the best choice too

• Informative 1