Avplan on android tablet

2tonne

Just got one of the android tablets with a 32 g SD card. Have tried installing Avplan but it tries to store maps on internal storage (1 Gig I think) and soon maxes out.

Anyone know how to get Avplan or other apps to store data on the external SD card?

Avplan I believe are working on having an option of the maps etc stored on the SD card in the next release. Send an email off to them and they should be able to advise better than me

Ok, thanks Ian, will do.

If anyone has a more general fix for any apps in the meantime, I would like to know. I have another language app that uses a fair bit of data, so would like to be able to store that on the SD card as well. It would be handy if there was a setting you could change so that all new apps go to the card.

Having used apple gear for a long time, I am new to android and I see it is going to take some time to figure it all out 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

I don't have avplan and not sure if it natively supports SD card but on android to install apps to sd card:

Go into settings

Go to Apps

Select the app (avplan)

If it can be isntalled to SD card, then there will be an option in there to install to SD card.

Hope this helps. I love Android and will never buy an Apple Product. Avplan will be my next purchase (through the ClearProp store of course ;) )

• Like 1

Thanks Shags, I did see for a couple of apps that I could switch data storage to "phone storage" which is about 12 Gig, instead of the 2 gig internal (I don't yet understand the difference between this "phone storage" and internal storage yet). Still haven't seen an option to save to the external 35 Gig SD card, but I assume that will show up for certain apps that have enabled it.

The internal storage is not the ram. Interval storage is where apps can write to so that other apps can't access the file (or the user for that matter).

Then there is external storage (the inbuilt sd) where the files are accessible by the user and all apps.

Then there is the external sd card if the phone supports it. Acts like the external storage.

Developers can choose where there apps cab install to it write files to.

• Caution 1

Just got one of the android tablets with a 32 g SD card. Have tried installing Avplan but it tries to store maps on internal storage (1 Gig I think) and soon maxes out.Anyone know how to get Avplan or other apps to store data on the external SD card?

I have exactly the same issue with my Chinese based tablet (Octacore, Retina, 2GHz, 2 GB RAM / 32 Gb ROM) and it is not presently possible to install it onto internal ROM or SD card for my device. On my device, it will only install to RAM and eventually fills the RAM with chart data and then crashes. The option in Android to install onto ROM or SD card is greyed out. Many others have the same issue, but some devices install correctly. It seems to work correctly on some devices but not others.

I am one of the beta testers for Avplan lite and when I reported it a few months ago, Avplan told me they are aware of the issue and would release a fix in the future.

A new beta was released today, but I have not tried it out yet. Hopefully it is fixed in the latest beta. If I get a chance, I will try it and report back. Eric

.... A new beta was released today, but I have not tried it out yet. Hopefully it is fixed in the latest beta. If I get a chance, I will try it and report back. Eric

Just tested the beta 1.1 and the same issue. Cannot install to ROM or SD card. Only loads to main memory and then fills with map data and crashes. Oh well, one day perhaps. Eric

I raised this as well with the AvPlan and even Ozrunways team with there development.... but it is not there fault, the issue is with the Android operating system (kitkat or whatever) where previous versions allowed data to be read from the SD card the latest OS will not with many types of apps. You can do some 'jailbreak' with the particular models of devices to allow it to read from the card but it voids all warranties and has its own separate unique issues.

I had this problem when I bought a Galaxy phone and decided on the 16g version putting a 64gb card in.... ALL the large app I wanted to store on the card would not allow it only some very low volume apps would transfer and work.... a bit of a joke really and I was pretty angry after being told you can run apps from the card no problems patronizingly told "that is what it is there for".

I got my tablet today and have run the battery down without getting it going. An email to Ian had him on the phone within minutes with some info, but as I havn't got Wi Fi fixed up yet and I have got the GPS going, but too low on power to continue. i hope to talk to somebody who knows about these things over the weekend. Would have been good to use it for a 90 mile trip tomorrow, but I will have to do it all longhand and follow the WAC chart.

Might be a little while until Avplan becomes functional on many android tablets. And even if it were working one tablet now, it is still Avplan lite with limited functionality.

Nevertheless, I am enjoying using the new tablet - thanks Ian. Have got in some good Angry Birds time, have read emails and more importantly I can read all the threads on this site:cheezy grin:

• Like 1

Yep that what they told me as well two months ago.

A new release is in beta testing at the moment and should be ready for all next week, but 'data on an SD card' isn't in it. Its on the list of things we need to do. We're aiming to get this done in the release after this one.

Thanks

Bevan..

• Like 3