advice please

Guest Redair

Greetings each, here's a nice little one to get your teeth into... As I understand it, ultralight aircraft can be serviced by their owners, so with this in mind, what I would like to know, is how much work can be carried out by the owner, assuming that they have no formal Aero-mecahnical qualifications?

Also, do the same rules apply to factory built aircraft as home built, or are formal quals required?

Next question, who, where, how do you go about getting trained to a suitable level, and, assuming that the required level is attained, are you then able to work on your own aircraft, should the work require it, or does the work have to be put out to another qualified person, (not the owner)?

Regards, Redair.

I'll answer most of that for you!

If the aircraft is privately owned and not used for 'hire or reward' you as the owner are eligible to maintain it under your Level 1 entitlements as part of your RA-Aus membership.

If used for hire or reward, it will need to be maintantained by an authorised RA-Aus level 2. To obtain your own L2 you will need a dmonstrated history of maintaining aircraft and or engines and you'll need a couple of references from other L2's.

who, where, how do you go about getting trained to a suitable level, and, assuming that the required level is attained, are you then able to work on your own aircraft, should the work require it.

Shortly I begin assembling my Lightning. Some has been done, but I must do the bulk of the work. That's all well and good. Down the track I will want to maintain and service my own aircraft, but I need to be TRAINED. Who, therefore, can train me in what I must do?