Best Value RA-Aus Training in $ per Hr Dual??

Hey there guys I have been scouring the forums over the last few months finding info on making my dollars go the further. I do understand that some people do skimp on quality just for low $ per Hr, However I do know that some fairly average operators are charging close to $300 Hr Dual in a Jab. So price does not always indicate quality. There are newbie instructors that charge top dollar as they have a great set up, business model and marketing yet there are some awesome and very experienced instructors that seem to still charge what they did in the early 90s. So PLEASE guys no lectures on you get what you pay for as it swings both ways.

What has been the best value RA-AUS trainers you have found (anywhere in Australia) = good instructors and decent hourly rates without paying heaps in hidden extras.

I am up on the Gold coast and don't mind travelling as I would camp out of my car for a few weeks to do initial pilots certificate.

So far for 2nd hand info the top of my list would be Daves flying school http://www.davesflyingschool.com/about.html

They are very cheap ($150 hr dual in a Jab 160) but most importantly I have only heard the utmost praise for the quality of training and for the guys out at the Oaks.

There is the Horsham flying club in Vic, Jab $140 Hr Training but have no reports on Training

http://www.horshamflyingclub.org.au/lsa_flight_training.htm

Any recommendations would be greatly apreciated

Cheers

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll second David Rolfe and John Taru at the Oaks. Competent, practical and very good instructors. I also like them.

But there will be other good flying schools - South Queensland seems to have a lot more going on than elsewhere, so you might be able to do better without travelling..

dodo

• Agree 2

I'll second David Rolfe and John Taru at the Oaks. Competent, practical and very good instructors. I also like them.But there will be other good flying schools - South Queensland seems to have a lot more going on than elsewhere, so you might be able to do better without travelling..

dodo

Thanks for your response Dodo! Great to hear the the second hand opinions are not too far off the mark. That would be great to find someone of equal calibre up this way but don't mind the drive down there to the Oaks as they sound like good folk.

Hi Squizzyhunter,

I converted from GA to RAA out at Coominya Flight Training. I travelled 1:15 minutes from home and I found it to be worth the travel. I usually did a session in the morning and had a break then another mid-morning.

The CFI does all instruction and is a very good teacher IMO. The CFI is John Walmsley and can be contacted on 0413 452 547. He operates 3 lightwings which includes a tail dragger. It is on a quiet strip with a few hangers where other private operators rent space. I just completed my Nav endorsement a couple of weeks ago and now hire his planes when I feel like a fly.

If you want any further info let me know and I will be happy to answer you. Tell him David sent you if you decide to give him a go.

Regards

David

• Agree 2

Hi Squizzyhunter,I converted from GA to RAA out at Coominya Flight Training. I travelled 1:15 minutes from home and I found it to be worth the travel. I usually did a session in the morning and had a break then another mid-morning.

The CFI does all instruction and is a very good teacher IMO. The CFI is John Walmsley and can be contacted on 0413 452 547. He operates 3 lightwings which includes a tail dragger. It is on a quiet strip with a few hangers where other private operators rent space. I just completed my Nav endorsement a couple of weeks ago and now hire his planes when I feel like a fly.

If you want any further info let me know and I will be happy to answer you. Tell him David sent you if you decide to give him a go.

Regards

David

Fantastic info David! Very much appreciated. I will definitely go and check them out as its only an hour and 40 for me also. I dont know much about the lightwings apart from coming out of Ballina... the Rotax is an obvious bonus from the Jab 160 though I suppose. My rational for wanting to fly a Jab was that it would be easier to go from a jab to a Foxbat etc.. but a bit harder to go from a foxbat to a Jab. How do the lightwings handle?

• Agree 1

I have only flown cessnas, pipers and lightwings and I like them. The only thing I needed to do was use my feet more. On a grass strip I keep the nose off also so that took a little getting used to. I am comfortable in them now and they have plenty of get up and go with the 100 hp Rotax. The bonus I found was 1 instructor who is the CFI. Back in my GA days I had 10 different instructors and only saw the CFI when I did my flight test. Search for me on Facebook - David Watherston and you can add me if you like for some photos. I can give you a link of a YouTube of me doing a circuit at coominya too once I edit it.

Regards

David.

• Agree 1

I was planning to go the same way David. Four hours travel was going to make it a camp over job, but everything I had heard about John Walmsley was good. I ended up getting Bill Grieve from Aeroskill Flight Training because he was able to bring his flight school and Savannah aircraft to me so I could train off my own strip and sleep in my own bed. That allowed me more flexibility and I could still keep an eye on what was going on around my place while I was training. His rates were very competitive and didn't charge extra for ground briefings or exams.

• Like 3

So PLEASE guys no lectures on you get what you pay for as it swings both ways.They are very cheap ($150 hr dual in a Jab 160) but most importantly I have only heard the utmost praise for the quality of training and for the guys out at the Oaks.

There is the Horsham flying club in Vic, Jab $140 Hr Training but have no reports on Training

h

Yea, it swings both ways alright.. It looks like you already have "price" your willing to pay. There are a couple in that " bracket".

Theres plenty of schools around up your way that will do a good job. But you may have to pay a realistic price.

I have only flown cessnas, pipers and lightwings and I like them. The only thing I needed to do was use my feet more. On a grass strip I keep the nose off also so that took a little getting used to. I am comfortable in them now and they have plenty of get up and go with the 100 hp Rotax. The bonus I found was 1 instructor who is the CFI. Back in my GA days I had 10 different instructors and only saw the CFI when I did my flight test. Search for me on Facebook - David Watherston and you can add me if you like for some photos. I can give you a link of a YouTube of me doing a circuit at coominya too once I edit it.Regards

David.

Cheers David, will do!

I was planning to go the same way David. Four hours travel was going to make it a camp over job, but everything I had heard about John Walmsley was good. I ended up getting Bill Grieve from Aeroskill Flight Training because he was able to bring his flight school and Savannah aircraft to me so I could train off my own strip and sleep in my own bed. That allowed me more flexibility and I could still keep an eye on what was going on around my place while I was training. His rates were very competitive and didn't charge extra for ground briefings or exams.

Thanks rankamateur, I will also track down Bill Grieve. Will look into the Savannahs also.

Yea, it swings both ways alright.. It looks like you already have "price" your willing to pay. There are a couple in that " bracket".Theres plenty of schools around up your way that will do a good job. But you may have to pay a realistic price.

Hey there motzartmerv, thanks for the input, yes it seems like a mixed bag. I'm happy to pay a "realistic" price, just seeing where people recommend for value. As it looks like I will be travelling regardless, thought I would see what was out there. It has been my experience in other fields that some of the best operations have a low profile and can be hard to find without recommendations.

Fly Now Redcliffe is the place to go! Mahl Oakes is the owner and CFI, he is a wonderful instructor and I have found as an older student he is very patient and gentle with me which is great, so if you want to great instructor close to Brisbane you couldn't do much better than giving Mahl a call.

http://www.fly-now-redcliffe.com/

David

Yea, it swings both ways alright.. It looks like you already have "price" your willing to pay. There are a couple in that " bracket".Theres plenty of schools around up your way that will do a good job. But you may have to pay a realistic price.

You should offer him the Jaspers Brush training and holiday package. Great weather this time of year in glorious NSW!!!!

..... best value & $ / hr dual

by choosing $ 130 instead of $ 180 / hr dual does not mean you guaranteed of getting all the required value

I'd say the instructor / student relationship between each is probably more important than the $ number (your relationship with the instructor is more important than the other way round (not being an instructor but I guess this is true)) - the club activity can be important to some but not to others

I always have thought that when you learn - if things are not working out, it should be no big deal trying another instructor and seeing if things improve - you'll probably have a fair idea whether you getting value for money (irrespective of $) after a few hours dual (or any time really) ............ also after comparing notes with other students in other schools. You should not feel duty bound to stick with any school from go to woe

• Agree 2

Fly Now Redcliffe is the place to go! Mahl Oakes is the owner and CFI, he is a wonderful instructor and I have found as an older student he is very patient and gentle with me which is great, so if you want to great instructor close to Brisbane you couldn't do much better than giving Mahl a call.http://www.fly-now-redcliffe.com/

David

Thanks Dave Ill look into Fly Now as well.

Much appreciated

..... best value & $ / hr dualby choosing $ 130 instead of $ 180 / hr dual does not mean you guaranteed of getting all the required value

I'd say the instructor / student relationship between each is probably more important than the $ number (your relationship with the instructor is more important than the other way round (not being an instructor but I guess this is true)) - the club activity can be important to some but not to others

I always have thought that when you learn - if things are not working out, it should be no big deal trying another instructor and seeing if things improve - you'll probably have a fair idea whether you getting value for money (irrespective of $) after a few hours dual (or any time really) ............ also after comparing notes with other students in other schools. You should not feel duty bound to stick with any school from go to woe

Thanks Johnm I couldn't agree more