Suggested change in MTOW limits

robinsm

It doesn't Yenn. If you can get a doctor to tick ALL boxes at your age you have a unique situation. It's got nothing to do with a vehicle drivers licence medical anymore.. Any questions whatever about any condition you have ever had or had checked will not permit a tick of the box. The DEFAULT is to class one or two, and sort it out with avmed. Nev

• Agree 1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just throwing it out there, why not reduce the MTOW of aircraft registered with Raa Aus to 490kg,

I have a 2 seater, solid as, 490kg MTOW. Long cross country miles and paddock landings.

Many years back I spent a good chunk of my time and cost lobbying within a motor sport to make changes for the advancement and future security of that sport. The largest obstruction was from self interested people who already owned vehicles that they would base their own ideas about how the rules should be formed without seeing the larger picture for others. It would seem to me that you have a machine that falls within your parameters and that everyone else should merely fall into line.

I can carry 2 x 90kg people including fuel.

Not in most people's considered levels of comfort you can't.

Remember, these are Ultralights, not medium lights or heavy lights.

Maybe the weight standards for these categories are currently wrong, I think they are.

Are you an 'X-Air' agent by chance ...?

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

So therefore we should get rid of 95.10 aircraft because they are...what?...slow, fun, cheap, recreational, not plastic and not daily bulk transport. Pseudo GA wannabe

Many years back I spent a good chunk of my time and cost lobbying within a motor sport to make changes for the advancement and future security of that sport. The largest obstruction was from self interested people who already owned vehicles that they would base their own ideas about how the rules should be formed without seeing the larger picture for others. It would seem to me that you have a machine that falls within your parameters and that everyone else should merely fall into line.

Not in most people's considered levels of comfort you can't.

Maybe the weight standards for these categories are currently wrong, I think they are.

Are you an 'X-Air' agent by chance ...?

Nope, I am not an agent of any sort, I just happen to like the lighter end and more basic end of the sport and like the aircraft I have. I have no interest either financial or otherwise in the brand apart from having one and liking it.

So therefore we should get rid of 95.10 aircraft because they are...what?...slow, fun, cheap, recreational, not plastic and not daily bulk transport. Pseudo GA wannabe

When I ran a natural terrain motocross club I always catered the tracks for the middle to slower riders, the fastest riders could run any track laid out for them and still have a great time, but not the other way around.

Current 95.10 weight spec aircraft can run in the same category as 700kg craft and used recreation-ally, but not the other way around with your weight restriction. To say a Vans RV7 owner can't fly with RAA is nonsense, and as example, people who fly 600kg Zenith CH 701-750, Savannah STOLs and similar, are probably as truly recreational as you can get.

Nope, I am not an agent of any sort, I just happen to like the lighter end and more basic end of the sport and like the aircraft I have. I have no interest either financial or otherwise in the brand apart from having one and liking it.

Yeah, humour missed. I try to add smileys but they don't always work for me so I rely somewhat on people to notice my wit - well half anyway.

• Like 1

I reckon the weight limit should be scrapped but the 45 knot stall be the defining point. Also allow multi engine & jets. If they all had stall speed less than 45 knots why not? While we are at it scrap RAA & have everyone on the one register. Then those who had the training & equipment could go into CTA. At the same time CASA would have to be supportive & treat all aviators with respect. How likely is that? Oh well dreams are free.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Mmmmmm I love the sound and smell of a turbine:thumb up: maybe we could design a VTOL ultralight. actually thinking on it would a VTOL like a harrier or the f35 technically comply with the under 45 knots limit???? Now that would be fun

Back in the 1930s there was a lot of concern about increasing stall speeds that they thought would lead to more accidents. But the opposite happened, as the higher landing speeds reduced landing accidents due to wind gusts. It is covered in Neville Shute Norway's book Slide Rule. So if we group aircraft by stall speed we might expect to see more accidents in the low speed group. Not that they aren't fun....

• Informative 1

Don't let us keep you awake Ozzie, have a drink on me and come back when the posts get interesting...003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Someone wake me up when they introduce FAR103 here or reinstate the old ANO95:10. with a 2 grand height limit.

Then the RAAus can spend all their energy on pseudo GA.

Just throwing it out there. I think we should eliminate Boxing Day and move Xmas day to the 26th Jan and just refer to it as Australia Day. That way we could remove the unreasonable costs of needless public holidays on employers and at the same time the divisiveness of Xmas symbolism would be removed. If you still want all those bells and whistles, tough luck, move to another country.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1
  • Caution 2

Yep, throw it right out, then call it happy holidays, ban any reference to christians in case you offend someone, cant have Australia day as you might exclude any none australians, make australia cities only so farmers cant protest about lack of representation and ban coffee because it comes from a non english speaking country. Cant have bells and whistles because someone hasnt written rules and regs governing them. Remove the 38hrs week as being undemocratic and let the governor general become the benevolent dictator of the aussie republic. Silly comment, silly answer. lol

• Agree 1
  • Winner 2

Come to Brazil. Every second day is a holiday. Children's day, parent's day, dog's day, every saint you could possibly imagine. We have christmas - new year - carnaval. Two months of non-productivity! Really frustrating for the self employed. On the other hand (besides having 5 more fingers), there's always a good reason to sink a cold one or six. Long live the 473 ml can!

Merry Christmas and silly season to all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 2

Come to Brazil. Every second day is a holiday.

Tell me about it, seems Chinese celebrate anything and everything, you should see how many 1/2 days, days and straight weeks they get off every year. But that's not just the issue, the other issue is the slowdown the week or few days before (depending on the holiday) and after the actual holiday.

Spring Festival is officially 3 days holiday, what a load of crap, never have I seen it less than 7 to 10 days and the week before is a big bludge and then, even if they do actually go back to work, you can't get a thing done until the week after Qingming Festival which is about 2 weeks after Spring Festival - in all, about 5 useless weeks wasted. Kind of like our Xmas to New year break but much extended.

Far 103, Hight at least 3,000ft. or was your 2g in mtrs,spacesailor

Lazair had a climb rate of 150fpm so couple grand will do me. I used to just climb to the first thermal then shut down to save fuel and get a better climb rate usually.

Ozzie, If you climb to a couple of thousand feet, You would be outside your 2g limit, before you got a good thermal!

Whats the record for a hanglider that went out of breathable air, at the chamionships I believe.

Now it's to be a movie,

spacesailor

That was a German girl flying a para glider at the world meet at Manila NSW. Her GPS said she topped out at 10,000mts. Shame she slept through it and missed the view.

Cloud suck from a CB can be a bitch.

Best i ever did was from switch off at 1500ft to just under seven grand, too cold for open cockpit. best to bail out lower down.

And the reason for other aircraft types subsidising 95.10 is?

Colin. You fell for it! I knew someone would take the cheap shot!

But seriously, Col, I did say that 95.10'ers would pay the same membership dues as other members.

I also said that 95.10 aircraft could go unregistered. By definition, they need no tech support to speak of.

Therefore, they wouldn't need to contribute on the registration side.

Colin. You fell for it! I knew someone would take the cheap shot!But seriously, Col, I did say that 95.10'ers would pay the same membership dues as other members.

I also said that 95.10 aircraft could go unregistered. By definition, they need no tech support to speak of.

Therefore, they wouldn't need to contribute on the registration side.

It wasn't intended as the cheap shot but a relevant question. What does RAA do about anything on the RAA register other than making sure that it has photos of the placards? I can't see that the TechPeople provide any services to the heavies that they don't provide to the lights. It might also be suggested that RAA keeps the airspace open for 95-10 rather than having them boxed in at less than 300 feet and not over public roads, public land and someone else's property. Without minimising the efforts by anyone RAA hasn't spent much RAA money and time on fx CTA other than transmitting the private, unpaid efforts of board and other members to CASA, the Minister etc.

The Jabiru engines are costing RAA a bit of time and money their owners are contributing a large amount of the registration cash - at least 1/3rd? In addition, being a single design strand their technical management generally means that the Jabiru boiler plated fits all with little marginal cost. On off designs and home builts appear to need one off consideration each time.

Like it or not the lights and the heavies are all in this together.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Single seat has been subsidizing two seat insurance since day one pretty much. Should be the other way around. Best yet why have it if you fly off your own property. Off road vehicles don't have it or registration or licensing.