Suggested change in MTOW limits

robinsm

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmm, I may be going to get lynched for this but... with the various forces at work which seem to be making it harder and harder for recreational pilots to actually enjoy their hobby, do people not think that we should all be clinging tightly together at the moment rather than advocating splinter groups and division? Divide and conquer? What next... a group only for blue planes and another for white etc? I would hope that all recreational pilots would stand together to ensure our survival rather than take an "I'm alright Jack" or "It's not my problem... doesn't concern me or my plane" attitude. Maybe someone will suggest that if you don't own a factory built LSA with a fuel injected motor then you should not be allowed to fly at all! Then where would we all be? Recreational flying has grown and developed... let's not give those who would love to ground us the ammunition to do it. Of course if we are all doomed, then does anybody want to buy my plane, so I can take my money and run, like a rat leaving a sinking ship? Oh, wait a minute, that would make me like one of those people who was only looking after number one.... see where I am going with this?

Regards, Redair.

Mmmm, I may be going to get lynched for this but... with the various forces at work which seem to be making it harder and harder for recreational pilots to actually enjoy their hobby, do people not think that we should all be clinging tightly together at the moment rather than advocating splinter groups and division? Divide and conquer? What next... a group only for blue planes and another for white etc? I would hope that all recreational pilots would stand together to ensure our survival rather than take an "I'm alright Jack" or "It's not my problem... doesn't concern me or my plane" attitude. Maybe someone will suggest that if you don't own a factory built LSA with a fuel injected motor then you should not be allowed to fly at all! Then where would we all be? Recreational flying has grown and developed... let's not give those who would love to ground us the ammunition to do it. Of course if we are all doomed, then does anybody want to buy my plane, so I can take my money and run, like a rat leaving a sinking ship? Oh, wait a minute, that would make me like one of those people who was only looking after number one.... see where I am going with this?Regards, Redair.

You are reading into things too much. I joined the AUF in 1987. But during training my RAAF career got in the way and I didnt fly for 10 years hence I didnt finish my pilot cert until 1998. Anyway, I dont get too worried about the lastest and greatest rule changes. Actually I couldn't give a toss, I have seen many many people come and go from the RAA hierarchy and changes happen. I just keep on keeping on and fly when I want.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Apply full power, airborne in about 5 seconds, climb at 3000 ft/min for a minute and a half, loop 4 g, into a 4 point hesitation roll, up into a Cuban 8, 5 g pull-up into a vertical roll with stall turn off the top, down then into another 5 g pull-up, torque roll, vertical roll on the down-line, pull up into a humpty, roll out, rejoin the circuit, land.

What's not "recreational" about that?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 2

Don't know if this comment actually fits here but here goes anyway. After 13yrs away from flying for a variety of reasons I am currently working back towards my GA BFR. It is annoying me greatly that I have a brand new, dual radio, glass panel (Dynon Skyview) equipped CH701 that I can't use for the purpose and instead am stuck with antiquated 30+ yr old pieces of crap, PA28, PA38, C172 etc. Recreational on the other hand is full of modern designs, relatively recently built and as far as I can see, is the way of the future. The only reason that I am doing GA is because that is the licence I have held for over 30yrs and I want to keep it!

Apply full power, airborne in about 5 seconds, climb at 3000 ft/min for a minute and a half, loop 4 g, into a 4 point hesitation roll, up into a Cuban 8, 5 g pull-up into a vertical roll with stall turn off the top, down then into another 5 g pull-up, torque roll, vertical roll on the down-line, pull up into a humpty, roll out, rejoin the circuit, land.What's not "recreational" about that?

And you should be able to do that with RAAus rego and Pilot Cert, if thats what you have.

• Caution 1

And you should be able to do that with RAAus rego and Pilot Cert, if thats what you have.

Good luck with that. Perhaps you may like to re-read the legislation that we fly under. You know, the part that says the aeroplane must not be flown in acrobatic flight...035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

aw come on, we want it all, CTA, more than 2 in the cockpit, aerobatics, 400knot flight. Hell why should we be limited just because some idiot thought we were recreational. This limited thinking infringes my right to stuff up city airports, over load my aircraft and fly faster than I can handle. Who the hell do these people think they are when they insist I actually have some responsibility for my actions. Down with rules, down with safety, down with common sense. Join the revolution, gimme it all.......just sayin...074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

Need one engine to run a generator to power the mandory Ad thingy and radio's

and maybey lights for use in daylight, collision avoidance radar, the penpusher's can dream up heaps of problems for us poor mortal

spacesailor

Guest Howard Hughes
Just throwing it out there, why not reduce the MTOW of aircraft registered with Raa Aus to 490kg, remove LSA and Float increases. Anything requiring these extras go to CASA. That way Controlled airspace, RPL, etc cease to become devisive and the organisation can return to being a RECREATIONAL flying organisation. If you want all the bells and whistles of GA without the cost, then tough luck. Horses for courses. 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

600Kg is the World standard with regard to LSA aircraft, why would we re-invent the wheel?

Can I have two engines in tandem & two contrarotating props. Engines to be indipendent each with its own fuel tank.spacesailor

of course you can, anything you want as long as its called recreational and not private...!!!

600Kg is the World standard with regard to LSA aircraft, why would we re-invent the wheel?

Why limit it to 600kg, just because every one else does. 8 passengers, 800kg, 80 kt stall, lets throw common sense out the window and all do what we like... While we are about it, free rego, free licences, no medicals and no safety inspections. Free funeral insurance and free coffee at airports...hell, lets get someone else to fly them to....008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Haha 1

Extra weight can simplify construction and complexity and make things cheaper from less exotic materials and more likely to increase the number of owner builders. Wouldn't that be a desired aim? You keep your 2 occupants and slow stall speed. but can also build a bit stronger .and carry useful weights and stay legal.. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 5