AirAsia Flight QZ8501 Missing

Fly Safe

RW

From ABC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-28/airasia-flight-from-indonesia-to-singapore-loses-contact/5990458

An AirAsia plane with 161 people on board lost contact with air traffic control en route from Indonesia to Singapore this morning, the airline has confirmed.

AirAsia said a search and research operation has been launched for the missing Airbus A320-200.

"At the present time we unfortunately have no further information regarding the status of the passengers and crew members on board, but we will keep all parties informed as more information becomes available," the airline said.

"The AirAsia flight flying from Surabaya to Singapore lost contact with Jakarta at 7:55am (local time)," Indonesian transport ministry spokesman JA Barata said.

The Airbus plane left Juanda International Airport in Surabaya in east Java at 5:20am and was expected to arrive in Singapore at 8:30am (local time).

The transport ministry the plane was carrying six crew and 155 passengers, including 138 adults, 16 children and a baby.

Indonesian media are reporting the flight had 149 Indonesians, three Koreans, one Singaporean, one Briton and one Malaysian person on board.

Indonesia Transport Ministry official Hadi Mustofa said the plane had asked for an unusual route before it lost contact with air traffic control.

The flight had been due in Singapore at 8:30am Singapore time (11:30am AEDT).

The Singapore airport said on its website the status of the flight was "delayed".

AirAsia is a budget airline based in Malaysia.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez, another Malaysian airline, not lookin good for the flight or the airline. Hope this one is found, watch this become a media circus with very little regard being paid to the passengers and all the money comments come out. Hopefully this time it will be about prople.

Cb in whatever area you fly can be a serious worry, and best to stay well clear.

Flew back from Melbourne to Sydney this arvo, and you could clearly see a really ugly anvil shaped Cb well to the east, which probably went up to in excess of 45,000ft.

But felt comfortable that I was with a well trained Qantas crew who stayed well clear, as opposed to some other cheapie overseas airlines, which seem a bit laxed in avoiding crook weather in their local areas.

Weather is just so unpredictable though, isn't it? I was flying and came up to a storm that i knew i might catch up to so started veering away to the side to go around it only to find that it moved and came around behind me. This was the second time i had been caught out by not being aware of what was happening behind me. The other time was close to end of daylight with the sun behind and suddenly it went dark because clouds covered the sun blocking out what little light was left. Always be aware of what is happening out of sight as in what is going on behind you, a lesson they don't mention in training. It doesn't hurt every say 10mins just turn 90 deg, have a look and then turn back on course

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

I can't believe it, guys thread is 20hrs old with no armchair speculation, I might have to go to the other forums to hear from sim flyers as to how it crashed! Can't say I'm disappointed tho. Good work.

Ah the metric system, that makes sense. Maybe the OAT was -40F but they calculated it at -40C , but in all seriousness, doing anything different to the states must be dangerous, that's why gun related murder is out of control in Aus.

• Haha 1

The Asians wouldn't be smart enough to comprehend all the complex computer based FMS and envelope protection employed on an A type aircraft. Everybody knows when you need help with computer stuff to ask a yank.

The Asians wouldn't be smart enough to comprehend all the complex computer based FMS and envelope protection employed on an A type aircraft. Everybody knows when you need help with computer stuff to ask a yank.

Is that why most computer shops are run by Asians, and Indians keep ringing me up to help me with my Windows or internet problems.

• Like 1

The ABC had someone from Denmark I think, an expert explaining that the modern twin engine jets can fly for 60 to90 minutes on one engine. I don't know why as they had earlier said that the pilot requested a higher flight level due to weather. To me that says the most likely problem is weather related. Havn't heard anything today except that an Orion has been offered.

I might be stupid or something but can someone tell me why in this day and age that again we have plane go missing in the water and they don't seem to know exactly where it when down..I thought after the last one that disappeared they would have fixed this issue.. 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

David

• Agree 1

Ah the metric system, that makes sense. Maybe the OAT was -40F but they calculated it at -40C , but in all seriousness, doing anything different to the states must be dangerous, that's why gun related murder is out of control in Aus.

-40F=-40C. That's where the two scales are equal.....

• Like 1

I guess we just need to remember that at any one time there's 5000 airliners in the sky and 3 going down in a year is relatively small percentage even though it's still of shocking consequence.

Sadly, of course statistics, don't cover the tragic loss of life, they're not just numbers and lets hope they find the plane asap so relatives can have some answers.

Looks like the Orion may have found floating wreckage about an hour ago. Last minute Seven news update at 7pm.

The aviation experts have stated that airspeed on the attempted climb over the top of the weather was 160klms too slow but none have mentioned the emergency AD the FAA

sent to all operators of several airbus models including the A320. (AD 2014-25-51.). One operator reported blockage of the two AoA probes on climb. Pilots regained control and landed safely.

Between 3,000 to 4,000 people die on average every year worldwide in all forms of aviation including military, 1.4 million die worldwide in motor vehicle accidents.

Flying is still safer than driving.

Alf

I might be stupid or something but can someone tell me why in this day and age that again we have plane go missing in the water and they don't seem to know exactly where it when down..I thought after the last one that disappeared they would have fixed this issue.. 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gifDavid

First thing that came into my mind too. After nearly a year of the MH debacle, we still don't know where aircraft are in flight and where exactly they crashed.

There shouldn't be a need to sent search parties to look.

All that should be needed is to send the rescue party.

• Agree 2

Between 3,000 to 4,000 people die on average every year worldwide in all forms of aviation including military, 1.4 million die worldwide in motor vehicle accidents.Flying is still safer than driving.

Alf

Old saying and, of course fact, but I like to be in control of my car or bike and my own destiny and have managed to do pretty well so far. I hate the feeling in an airliner where you merely walk on freight and it's all out of your control, worse for those 20 minutes when you sit there like a dummy coming in to land.

First thing that came into my mind too. After nearly a year of the MH debacle, we still don't know where aircraft are in flight and where exactly they crashed...

For years now, my phone has sent breadcrumbs to my wife when I'm riding or flying. Free, reliable location every 2 minutes.

Too hard for a multimillion $ airline to organise?

• Agree 2

I don't mind those 20 mins. At least rescue services know where you are (if you have survived the crash of course) instead of bobbing up and down in the ocean for what is now 2 days without a rescue ship in sight.......disgraceful....

For years now, my phone has sent breadcrumbs to my wife when I'm riding or flying. Free, reliable location every 2 minutes.Too hard for a multimillion $ airline to organise?

There's probably something like this "under development" that is not certified for aviation use.

It will probably be under "certification testing" for 10 years or some bullSh*t like that with the development company milking the government grants and by the time it is released it is redundant anyway....

• Agree 1