AirAsia Flight QZ8501 Missing

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the hate, GG goes out of his way to put up references to fact and FH puts up nothing but his opinion.I know which I would rather see.

Bex are you saying my post is hateful? I only pointed out that the graph does not contradict the statement Facthunter made as the statement is about intensity and the graph is about frequency.

• Agree 1

Bex are you saying my post is hateful?

Not at all, it's just a term commonly used now for disagreeing. English is very dynamic, ever changing, and even more so since the internet.

• Like 1
  • Caution 2

Climate change? yes of course it will what else would you expect? On the news the story went some thing like this 'we just had the hottest November in 103 years' meaning 103 years ago it was hotter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 3

GG The graph you have posted is about frequency not about intensity and in no way contradicts what Facthunter asserted.

Oh the intensity stats disprove facthunters assertion even more starkly. The mythical 'global warming' actually gives us less tropical storms plus also overall less intense:

Of course some folk would prefer to instead accept their insurance companies lame excuse for another premium increase. Because global warming (or Abbott) can be used to excuse absolutely anything.

In your own words Bex you say you don't listen to anyone. That's one statement of yours I agree with. What sort of person doesn't listen to others.? Surely you cannot claim to be the suppository of all knowledge? Nev

Climate change? yes of course it will what else would you expect? On the news the story went some thing like this 'we just had the hottest November in 103 years' meaning 103 years ago it was hotter.

Climate must change then every 103 years.096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif.

Alan.

• Haha 2

GNu you have a history of posting flawed research and botched data sets, these right wing blogs you read all feed your ignorance.

The market says that premiums are going due to climate change, try buying and insuring a house north of Townsville and get back to us.

I guess if you know there is no global warming then we have nothing to worry about. everyone out there is being fooled by the scientists who study this, and scientists are only a small% of the worlds population. There is no acidification of the oceans etc. Everything in the garden is rosy. A whole heap of wealthy oilmen tell me so (and they would know what's good for ME?) Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

In your own words Bex you say you don't listen to anyone.

Relevant to finding out facts for myself.

Surely you cannot claim to be the suppository of all knowledge?

Between me and my Brother, we know everything that has ever been known, ask me any question you like to test this.

You seem to presume YOU are the only one looking for facts, seriously. I accept you make a big effort, but you have to filter a lot of poo to find wedding rings worth anything. Most of what is out there is written by some human and generally I have little trust of just accepting anything outright. The motives of the source are important. Humans also display selective perception, where they only see/hear what they want to. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Caution 1

Not at all, it's just a term commonly used now for disagreeing. English is very dynamic, ever changing, and even more so since the internet.

The Oxford Dictionary introduces or modifies the meanings of about 1000 words per year, hope that helps.

What's my middle name?

That's one my Brother knows.

• Haha 2

You really WILL have to work on your superiority complex Bex.

I have been trying, just so hard to block all the leakages as it oozes out. 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

But what's relevant is GG has offered factual support twice now after you threw "rubbish" at him, so maybe you would care to tackle that?

Oh the intensity stats disprove facthunters assertion even more starkly. The mythical 'global warming' actually gives us less tropical storms plus also overall less intense:

Of course some folk would prefer to instead accept their insurance companies lame excuse for another premium increase. Because global warming (or Abbott) can be used to excuse absolutely anything.

Firstly I am not sure if this is the best thread to discuss this topic in. If as indeed you assert the Air Asia boss attributed this event to climate change then I would agree that this is a foolish statement, it confuses weather with climate, I have not seen the statement so I can not have an opinion.

I also note that the first graph refers to tropical cyclone frequency whilst the second refers to Global Tropical Accumulated Cyclone energy, as a very genuine question would a weather event such as the one that brought this airliner down likely to be a cyclone a hurricane or some other type of weather event.

In regards to my initial observation, I certainly stand by that, frequency and intensity are different things, it would have made more sense to post the second graph first.

In terms of accuracy there are many contradictory graphs floating around the net. I have no opinion about the accuracy of these graphs, it is easy to pick out individual graphs to support anything (on both sides). I do note however that the first graph (Tropical storms and Hurricanes) is attributed the American Geophysical Union, does this mean that you regard them as a trustworthy source? That is fine because I also have quite a high regard for their scientific rigour, that we can agree on. So if we agree on the scientific rigour of the AGU then it might be interesting to see what else they have to say:

“Human activities are changing Earth’s climate. At the global level, atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases have increased sharply since the Industrial Revolution. Fossil fuel burning dominates this increase. Human-caused increases in greenhouse gases are responsible for most of the observed global average surface warming of roughly 0.8°C (1.5°F) over the past 140 years. Because natural processes cannot quickly remove some of these gases (notably carbon dioxide) from the atmosphere, our past, present, and future emissions will influence the climate system for millennia.

While important scientific uncertainties remain as to which particular impacts will be experienced where, no uncertainties are known that could make the impacts of climate change inconsequential. Furthermore, surprise outcomes, such as the unexpectedly rapid loss of Arctic summer sea ice, may entail even more dramatic changes than anticipated."

http://sciencepolicy.agu.org/files/2013/07/AGU-Climate-Change-Position-Statement_August-2013.pdf

I don't necessarily doubt the graphs but to draw broader conclusions like only idiots like NASA, CSIRO (for a full see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change#American_Association_of_Petroleum_Geologists ) accept the scientific evedence is hard to beleive.

At this stage I would suggest that the doubters seem to be winning the argument (although most definitely not within the scientific profession) so not much will change so I don't get why the doubters get so agitated, it is pretty much business as usual, only time will tell which position is correct.

• Like 1

Human-caused increases in greenhouse gases are responsible for most of the observed global average surface warming of roughly 0.8°C (1.5°F) over the past 140 years. Because natural processes cannot quickly remove some of these gases (notably carbon dioxide) from the atmosphere, our past, present, and future emissions will influence the climate system for millennia..

These are not facts. Some scientists believe this is the case, they do not state it as outright fact.

You classify people as "Doubters" when there is no facts to be had, maybe they are just more conservative, less trusting and intelligent than other Blind Freddies.

Guest Andys@coffs
What's my middle name?

Clearly it's 87..... Don't much go for single letter surnames though! But we generally dont get to choose our own....

I cant believe you guys are dicussing global warming in a thread about 160 plus people being killed.

Air Asia Boss comments about GW leading to debate about storms that may have caused the accident, thin but still OT.

150,000 people die everyday from naturally to not very nice ways, I'm sure the bulk of us have the utmost respect for those who have died, for their loved ones suffering and we do all we can for those closer to us when it happens, but it's impossible that we just stop functioning.

• Agree 1