CASA 292/14 - Conditions and direction about Jabiru engines

coljones

I understand, But should the instrument be lifted then Jabiru (engines) will probably carry on and do exactly nothing...... Better no Jabiru engines than unreliable Jabiru engines.... Be airframe manufacturers, very good at that they are!...There are a myriad of engines available......It's a dreadful shame that the brand has gone down this road ( Head in sand , it's the maintainer's , fuel's, oil's, pilot's, anybody's fault but mine) ... Remember " the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour"......As long as CASA has their foot on Jabiru's throat we may see improvements ( as we have already seen) Instrument lifted = fast track development stops. BTW, Canada and New Zealand do not support an engine manufacturer. They cherry pick the best available as we should be doing.

You are a strange man Geoffrey. You intend putting a modified Jabiru engine into a plane when you clearly think that they are not much chop. Keeping CASA with their boot across Jabiru's throat will solve nothing except sending it into bankruptcy. CASA is incompetent and the anti-Jabiru claque is no better. There are far worse engines than Jabiru and it appears to me that most of the most vociferous criticisms are from people jealous of Jabiru's success or from people, with spanners in their hands, who you wouldn't trust to open a pack of chewing gum, let alone chew while thinking.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Haha 1

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...There are a myriad of engines available...

Where are they Geoff? I did extensive research before fitting a Jabiru engine to my Jodel. Even with the lightest PRSU units added, all were considerably heavier than the J2.2. There are some impressive Rotax conversions out there, but the extra weight of that excellent engine eats into the allowable load for any airframe.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Geoffreywh is going to solve all the Jab engine problems by using a dry sump, updraught carb, manifold spider and water cooled heads.

Will that solve all the problems CASA and the whingers have been going on about?

What does it do for through bolt failures? They are supposedly the biggest problem.

• Informative 1

Yenn, it is possible that a combination of fuel and operating over-temperature causes the through-bolt problems by way of a detonation incident.

If this is so, then water-cooled heads would be much less likely to have the same thing happen.

Of course, water-cooled heads come with their own problems and certainly add complexity, weight and cost. Personally, I choose to try to operate carefully enough to avoid a detonation incident and so save the money and weight.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

Never have I thought that they (Jab's) are rubbish, The engine has great promise, (especially the six, light and powerful. ) BUT they are fraught with design problems that have caused unreliability. Overheating , I believe is at the bottom of most of the problems, That , and uneven mixture distribution. (plus dump the hydraulic tappets and the stupid almost generator.) If I remove my 0-200 and fit a 70 pound lighter engine, reliable engine, I will be very happy.

Quote From Yenn................."Will that solve all the problems CASA and the whingers have been going on about?" Yup, I believe it will......You just gotta be willing to think about it...

I can deal with complexity, and the jabiru engine is not complex

What have our beloved leaders that run the RAA are saying or doing. Should all Jab owners ask (demand) for weekly updates of requests forward and back from CASA.

Have not read the 63 pages of this post so sorry if already been said. But we pay our membership - so what are OUR RAA leaders doing and do we get value for money paid in good faith to RAA to do the right thing and go to bat hard on this "to get it sorted".

We may need some non PC personalities to represent us and kick some doors in at CASA make some noise in the press of another Govt department not doing its job, stuffing people around and causing misery. (this sounds like most Govt depts) etc, as was done many years ago. But maybe I am venting.

To be clear I don't have anything to do with Jabs - but understand the pain.

• Like 3

AOPA is your only chance but the knockers here will arise and kill that idea. CASA only ever change when pressure is put on them . They have been evolving to perfection at resisting change and imposing legalese rules with penalties as a modus operandi. Nev

• Agree 1

Just received from jabiru.

Have a look at the link as well. Has a lot of detailed information.

Hello Jabiru Fleet,

Update on CASA limitations

We have been notified that CASA will be replacing the instrument that expires on the 30th of June with an instrument that places no limitations on Jabiru powered aircraft compliant with maintenance procedures, Service Bulletins and Letters and with no modifications.

It is heartening to see recognition by CASA of the issues faced which are beyond our control and the steps taken by Jabiru to deal with the issues within our control.

It has also been heartening to see the dramatic increase in compliance to Service Bulletins/Letters and maintenance procedures. This combined with our Jabiru engine training workshops has resulted in fewer incidents and puts us well ahead of Rotax for reliability, the standard by which CASA based their aggressive initial actions.

It is disappointing however that CASA have still retained an Acceptance of Risk Statement within the limitations for non-compliant aircraft as the signing of this provides no enhancement to the reliability of these engines and is still damaging to our business.

We will continue to work for and with our owners and operators to strengthen and grow the Jabiru Fleet. We have weathered the storm - it is now onwards and upwards for the Jabiru Fleet.

Please see the below link for your information.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/380eb6fb927f7f05a141b8b5e/files/Jabiru_Engine_Reliability_Analysis_Report_2_.pdf

Happy Landings

Rodney Stiff

Personally I can't see this being too unfair. The principle being that if the engine is brought up to latest specs and maintained as per manufacturer then it won't be restricted. If the engine is changed or not maintained properly then it is not.

While I'd like to say we should be left alone to take our own risks I think this is the best we are likely to be offered. You would be hard pressed to find an engine manufacturer in any other field ( automotive or boating eg. ) who would be held accountable or held to a warranty etc. for anything when the engine is not maintained by qualified mechanics and/or is changed by the user.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Informative 2

It's not the full story though, But a lot of the information provided by Jabiru has nor been complied with. Some operators get widely varied results to others. With a fairly critical engine this is only to be expected. Installations vary and awareness of stale fuel and fuel quality/suitability is very important in an aircooled motor. Modern people do really expect a thing to go forever without ongoing tests and adjustment. It's the modern thing . Fit and forget. Not really the correct way to do things . It applies to your airframe as well as your engine. Nev

• Agree 1

Just found the updated release here: CASA 65/16 - Conditions and direction concerning certain aircraft fitted with engines manufactured by Jabiru Aircraft Pty Ltd

Valid til june 2019

CASA 65/16 - Conditions and direction concerning certain aircraft fitted with engines manufactured by Jabiru Aircraft Pty Ltd

• Like 1

He it is pasted. I am not a lawyer but - is seems like a CASA dispensation with a liability form to be signed. But again if as a parent or new nothing about flying would run for the hills. Can you see the paperwork if a student goes down and is injured or more. God help the CFI even with the signed form in his hands that a student was competent to put in the paddock - but stuffed up. I assume lawyers would also be all over the CFI.

Instrument number CASA 65/16

I, MARK ALAN SKIDMORE, Director of Aviation Safety, on behalf of CASA, make this instrument under regulations 11.068 and 11.245 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR 1998).

[signed M. Skidmore]

Mark Skidmore AM

Director of Aviation Safety

28 June 2016

Conditions and direction concerning certain aircraft fitted with engines manufactured by Jabiru Aircraft Pty Ltd

1 Duration

This instrument:

(a) commences on 1 July 2016; and

(b) is repealed at the end of 30 June 2019.

2 Definitions

In this instrument:

CFI means, in relation to a flying school, the individual performing the functions of the chief flying instructor (however named) for the school.

engine grouping means one of the following engine group classifications:

Group

Description of configuration

Manufactured s/n

range (4 cyl)

Manufactured s/n range (6 cyl)

A

Engines with flat-faced hydraulic valve lifters

22A2068 through 22A3595

33A0961 through 33A2539

B

Engines with solid valve lifters and 3/8” through bolts

22A0001 through 22A2067

33A0001 through 33A0960

C

Engines with roller or flat-faced hydraulic valve lifters and 7/16” through bolts

22A3596 and above

33A2540 and above

Note The serial number ranges in the table above are provided as a guide only, as engine grouping is defined by the description of configuration and the manufacturer’s serial number depending on the post-modification status of an engine.

flight training means any operation of the kind described in Jabiru Service Bulletin JSB031-3 as involving “the increased number of takeoff and landing events as well as go-arounds, simulated engine failure and stall recovery operations. This subjects the engine to quick changes in throttle setting and relatively fast changes and extremes in temperature.”.

flying school means any provider of flight training services.

Jabiru means Jabiru Aircraft Pty Ltd, Aviation Reference Number (ARN) 444128.

Jabiru-powered aircraft means an aircraft to which this instrument applies by operation of section 3.

manufactured by Jabiru, in relation to an engine, includes an engine that is wholly or partly manufactured by a person under licence from, or under a contract with, Jabiru.

populous area means an area that has, or is expected to have, during the period of operation of an aircraft, a sufficient density of population that the occurrence of a fault in, or failure of, the aircraft would pose an unreasonable risk to the life, safety or property of somebody who is in the area but is not connected with the operation.

student pilot means a person authorised to fly an aircraft who does not hold:

(a) a pilot certificate issued by Recreational Aviation Australia Incorporated, ARN 224806, or a higher pilot authorisation; or

(b) a pilot licence issued under Part 5 of the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988; or

© a flight crew licence granted under Part 61 of CASR 1998.

suitable forced-landing area means an area on land that is not a populous area where, in the event of a forced landing, it is less likely that serious injuries or loss of life will result.

3 Application

(1) Section 4 applies to the following classes of authorisation:

(a) experimental certificates issued under regulation 21.195A of CASR 1998 in respect of aircraft fitted with an engine manufactured by Jabiru;

(b) special certificates of airworthiness issued under regulation 21.176 of CASR 1998, to which the applicant was entitled under regulation 21.184 of CASR 1998, in respect of aircraft fitted with an engine manufactured by Jabiru;

© special certificates of airworthiness issued under regulation 21.176 of CASR 1998, to which the applicant was entitled under regulation 21.186 of CASR 1998, in respect of aircraft fitted with an engine manufactured by Jabiru;

(d) any other type of certificate of airworthiness issued under Part 21 of CASR 1998 in respect of aircraft fitted with an engine manufactured by Jabiru;

(e) special flight permits issued under regulation 21.200 of CASR 1998 in respect of aircraft fitted with an engine manufactured by Jabiru.

(2) Section 5 applies to each aircraft fitted with an engine manufactured by Jabiru to which Civil Aviation Order 95.55 applies.

4 Condition on authorisations

For subregulation 11.068 (1) of CASR 1998, it is a condition that each Jabiru‑powered aircraft, to which this section applies, is operated in accordance with the operating limitations set out in Schedule 1, unless the requirements in Schedule 2 have been complied with.

5 Direction

For subregulation 11.245 (1) of CASR 1998, CASA directs each Jabiru‑powered aircraft, to which this section applies, to be operated in accordance with the operating limitations set out in Schedule 1, unless the requirements in Schedule 2 have been complied with.

Schedule 1 Operating limitations for Jabiru-powered aircraft

1 The pilot in command of a Jabiru-powered aircraft must operate it only:

(a) by day and under the V.F.R.; or

(b) in accordance with an approval by CASA.

2 The pilot in command of a Jabiru-powered aircraft is only permitted to operate the aircraft over a populous area at a height:

(a) from which the aircraft can glide clear of all populous areas to a suitable forced-landing area; and

(b) that is at least 1 000 feet above ground level, except to the minimum extent necessary for the aircraft to safely climb after take-off or safely descend for a landing.

Note Paragraph (a), together with the definition of populous area, has the effect of prohibiting Jabiru-powered aircraft from departing from or landing at various places, including but not limited to Archerfield, Bankstown and Moorabbin Airports.

3 The pilot in command of a Jabiru-powered aircraft must only permit a passenger to be carried in the aircraft during a flight if:

(a) the pilot in command has received a statement substantially in the form of the statement in clause 6, signed not more than 3 calendar months before the flight by:

(i) subject to subparagraph (ii) — each passenger; and

(ii) if a passenger is aged under 18 or has a mental impairment — a parent or guardian of the passenger; and

(b) the pilot in command is reasonably satisfied, including after making necessary enquiries, that each person signing a statement under this clause understands the statement; and

© each signed statement is kept at a secure location that is not on-board an aircraft during flight; and

(d) the passenger is not carried for hire or reward.

4 The pilot in command of a Jabiru-powered aircraft, or their legal representative:

(a) may keep a statement under clause 3 for use in respect of future flights in a Jabiru-powered aircraft by the same passenger; and

(b) may dispose of a statement kept under clause 3 at any time after the safe disembarkation of each passenger (but must obtain a new statement if the passenger is carried on a future flight); and

© must, as soon as practicable and by registered mail, send to CASA the statement signed by each passenger on a flight that involves a loss‑of‑engine-power event.

5 The CFI of a flying school must not permit a student pilot of the school to undertake a solo flight in a Jabiru-powered aircraft unless the CFI has:

(a) before the first solo flight of the student pilot at the flying school:

(i) confirmed that the student pilot has competently completed engine‑failure exercises at the school in the preceding 2 hours of flight time; and

(ii) noted the competence in subparagraph (i) in the student pilot’s record, countersigned by the student; and

(iii) subject to subparagraph (iv) — placed, in a secure location not on an aircraft during flight, a statement signed by the student pilot that is substantially in the form of the statement in clause 6; and

(iv) in relation to a student pilot who is aged under 18 — placed, in a secure location not on an aircraft during flight, a statement signed by the parent or guardian of the student that is substantially in the form of the statement in clause 6; and

(v) determined on reasonable grounds, including after making necessary enquiries, that a person signing a statement under this clause understands the statement; and

(b) before subsequent solo flights by the student pilot at a flying school:

(i) confirmed that the student pilot has competently performed engine failure exercises at the school in either the preceding 2 hours of flight time or 7 days, whichever is the more recent, unless a more onerous recency requirement applies; and

(ii) noted the competence in subparagraph (i) in the student pilot’s record, countersigned by the student.

6 The statement mentioned in clauses 3 and 5 is:

“I, [insert name] PROPOSE TO TAKE A FLIGHT IN THE AIRCRAFT IDENTIFIED AS [insert registration information] (THE AIRCRAFT). I AM AWARE THAT THE CIVIL AVIATION SAFETY AUTHORITY (CASA) HAS DATA INDICATING THAT THE TYPE OF ENGINE USED IN THE AIRCRAFT HAS SUFFERED A HIGH NUMBER OF FAILURES AND RELIABILITY PROBLEMS.

“I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT CASA HAS IMPOSED LIMITATIONS ON THE AIRCRAFT TO PROTECT PERSONS ON THE GROUND NOT ASSOCIATED WITH THE OPERATON OF THE AIRCRAFT, UNINFORMED PASSENGERS AND TRAINEE PILOTS. THOSE LIMITATIONS ALSO HELP PASSENGERS AND TRAINEE PILOTS TO MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION ABOUT WHETHER TO ACCEPT THE RISK OF FLIGHTS IN THE AIRCRAFT.

“I NOTE CASA’S ADVICE THAT, ALTHOUGH MOST JABIRU ENGINES OPERATE NORMALLY, THERE IS AN ABNORMAL RISK THE ENGINE IN THE AIRCRAFT WILL MALFUNCTION.

“I ACCEPT THE RISK OF AN ENGINE MALFUNCTION DURING FLIGHT, NOTING THAT:

“(A) THE AIRCRAFT MUST BE FLOWN AWAY FROM PEOPLE ON THE GROUND (AND BUILDINGS), EVEN IF THAT MEANS AN EMERGENCY LANDING AT A LOCATION THAT IS LESS SAFE FOR THAT PURPOSE; AND

“(B) THE SAFETY OF AN EMERGENCY LANDING CANNOT BE GUARANTEED EVEN IF THERE IS A SUITABLE LANDING LOCATION.

“I NOTE CASA’S ADVICE THAT I SHOULD NOT FLY IN THE AIRCRAFT IF I AM NOT PREPARED TO ACCEPT THE HEIGHTENED RISK INVOLVED.

“I ACCEPT THE RISK NOTING THAT THE ENGINE MANUFACTURER IS WORKING TO IDENTIFY AND FIX THE ENGINE ISSUES AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

“I AM AWARE THAT CASA REQUIRES MY SIGNATURE ON THIS STATEMENT BEFORE THE FLIGHT MAY COMMENCE.

“SIGNED: DATE: ”.

Schedule 2 When Schedule 1 operating limitations do not apply

The operating limitations in Schedule 1 do not apply if:

(a) the aircraft’s engine grouping is identified by a review of its engine serial number and maintenance records to confirm configuration based on through bolt and valve lifter type; and

(b) the registered owner of Jabiru-powered aircraft adopts, and uses, the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule for the engine, if that schedule is not already being used; and

Note If CASR 1998 already requires the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule for the engine to be used, this instrument does not alter any such requirement.

© the engine’s top valve spring washers are inspected in accordance with Jabiru Service Letter JSL008-1 or later issue and any worn washers are replaced with the current washer configuration and installed in accordance with engine overhaul manual JEM0001-7 or later issue; and

Note When the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule is used, Jabiru Service Letter JSL008-1 will also become a recurring inspection requirement.

(d) the cylinder heads are inspected in accordance with Jabiru Service Letter JSL014-3 or later issue and any requisite corrective action required by the service letter is completed; and

Note When the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule is used, Jabiru Service Letter JSL014-3 requires further inspections in certain circumstances.

(e) all engine through bolts are replaced in accordance with the technical content in Jabiru Service Bulletin JSB031-3 or later issue, with any replacement parts being current through bolt, nut and washer configuration installed in accordance with engine overhaul manual JEM0001-7 or later issue by the following time:

(i) for Group A engines with 3/8” through bolts that have engaged in any flight training prior to reaching 500 hours Hobbs time since last through bolt replacement, or for engines which have exceeded 500 hours, replace through bolt before further flight;

(ii) for all engine groups that have not engaged in flight training, at or before 1 000 hours Hobbs time since last through bolt replacement.

Note Jabiru Service Letter JSL010-1 explains Hobbs time is the correct method of recording engine hours. It also explains what Hobbs time mean. If that method of recording has not been used, an adjustment to the engine hours will need to be made. This may bring forward other maintenance requirements.

I think this document, ( the attach.) , as submitted by Jaba- who makes for easier reading , and maybe less confusion than the one by Skidmore ....Bob

d1bcc7d9-f6a4-40a3-abd5-778b285c50a2.jpg

Hello Jabiru Fleet,

Update on CASA limitations

We have been notified that CASA will be replacing the instrument that expires on the 30th of June with an instrument that places no limitations on Jabiru powered aircraft compliant with maintenance procedures, Service Bulletins and Letters and with no modifications.

It is heartening to see recognition by CASA of the issues faced which are beyond our control and the steps taken by Jabiru to deal with the issues within our control.

It has also been heartening to see the dramatic increase in compliance to Service Bulletins/Letters and maintenance procedures. This combined with our Jabiru engine training workshops has resulted in fewer incidents and puts us well ahead of Rotax for reliability, the standard by which CASA based their aggressive initial actions.

It is disappointing however that CASA have still retained an Acceptance of Risk Statement within the limitations for non-compliant aircraft as the signing of this provides no enhancement to the reliability of these engines and is still damaging to our business.

We will continue to work for and with our owners and operators to strengthen and grow the Jabiru Fleet. We have weathered the storm - it is now onwards and upwards for the Jabiru Fleet.

Please see the below link for your information.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/380eb6fb927f7f05a141b8b5e/files/Jabiru_Engine_Reliability_Analysis_Report_2_.pdf

Happy Landings

Rodney Stiff

color-facebook-48.png

color-link-48.png

Copyright © All rights reserved

I'd like to see RAA take some ownership of the mess it helped to create and go into bat for Jab owners to remove the instrument in total but unfortunately I fear they are all too happy to distance themselves of any responsibility - and in any case who is there to do it ?.The board has been sacked and the CEO and President are too busy empire building (increasing weight limits to 1500kg to relieve CASA Of their responsibilities) to have any time to represent what amounts to a third of its fleet and a large proportion of its training fleet. Jabiru has been thrown under a bus and RAA doesn't care a hoot. RAA head office is now just an extension of CASA only in our case it's the members who pay to get screwed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

For someone to be continually penalised there should be evidence of criminal action(s) and intent. Certainly the owners should not be labelled that way, and I would go a little further and give a fair bit of leeway to the manufacturers, also. Off target losses are still going on and the black hand of authority is over the rest of the industry as there are no assurances similar things won't be imposed on others for some non specific shortcomings, in the future.

It appears EVERYTHING is about through bolts which now appear to be so critical it's before NEXT flight, in some instances. It's not about just whipping them out and replacing them either. You can make more strife for yourself in the future if you don't do that one properly. Nev

I'd like to see RAA take some ownership of the mess it helped to create and go into bat for Jab owners to remove the instrument in total but unfortunately I fear they are all too happy to distance themselves of any responsibility - and in any case who is there to do it ?.The board has been sacked and the CEO and President are too busy empire building (increasing weight limits to 1500kg to relieve CASA Of their responsibilities) to have any time to represent what amounts to a third of its fleet and a large proportion of its training fleet. Jabiru has been thrown under a bus and RAA doesn't care a hoot. RAA head office is now just an extension of CASA only in our case it's the members who pay to get screwed.

I have to say, that I believe you have got the cow by the wrong teat here. RAA did NOT help to create this mess - though one Board member of RAA certainly stirred the pot excessively, but that was on his own initiative and NOT RAA policy. RAA went vigorously into combat against the entire CASA action. I am not even a member of RAA, but I think it only fair to defend RAA against unwarranted claims of complicity. I know - from first-hand experience - that members of the RAA Board were trying to head this action off at the pass in the face of an impossible demand for information from CASA, into the wee small hours of the mornings in the few days they had been given.

Seriously - your charges against the RAA Board, are unfair, unjust, and unwarranted. ONE member of the Board maintained a campaign against Jabiru, and had a few followers who were vociferous in their support. That Board Member is no longer with us to defend his actions, so there is NO value in pointing the finger. With only one exception, his 'followers' have effectively ceased their diatribe.

Give it a rest - seriously.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Read it carefully, and take note :

Schedule 2 When Schedule 1 operating limitations do not apply

Which REMOVES all the restrictions if you have up to date engines.

Yes but being up to date isnt an easy thing if it needs new throughbolts...again. It would include all SB Jabiru have released.

I have trouble with blind faith in Jabiru having fixed problems and now theres a penalty for departing from their advice or using others improved parts like CAE.

A few curlies too, would pay to read temporary storage requirements which appear to now form part of the limitation lifting.

Few catagories still penalised here, what about 19 owners with say a few CAE parts, running Mogas or different oil type. seems they are still limited ?

Somehow seems LSA regs now semi linked to all Jab engines.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

I have to say, that I believe you have got the cow by the wrong teat here. RAA did NOT help to create this mess - though one Board member of RAA certainly stirred the pot excessively, but that was on his own initiative and NOT RAA policy. RAA went vigorously into combat against the entire CASA action. I am not even a member of RAA, but I think it only fair to defend RAA against unwarranted claims of complicity. I know - from first-hand experience - that members of the RAA Board were trying to head this action off at the pass in the face of an impossible demand for information from CASA, into the wee small hours of the mornings in the few days they had been given.Seriously - your charges against the RAA Board, are unfair, unjust, and unwarranted. ONE member of the Board maintained a campaign against Jabiru, and had a few followers who were vociferous in their support. That Board Member is no longer with us to defend his actions, so there is NO value in pointing the finger. With only one exception, his 'followers' have effectively ceased their diatribe.

Give it a rest - seriously.

Have you forgotten the statement in the Courier Mail re the Pathfinder incident (including PVT FLYING in CTA with a RPC) by the, at the time, new CEO - not the board but factually incorrect statement, probably repeating dribble as supplied by the mentioned exmember.

• Agree 2
  • Helpful 1

Yes but being up to date isnt an easy thing if it needs new throughbolts...again. It would include all SB Jabiru have released.I have trouble with blind faith in Jabiru having fixed problems and now theres a penalty for departing from their advice or using others improved parts like CAE.

A few curlies too, would pay to read temporary storage requirements which appear to now form part of the limitation lifting.

Few catagories still penalised here, what about 19 owners with say a few CAE parts, running Mogas or different oil type. seems they are still limited ?

Somehow seems LSA regs now semi linked to all Jab engines.

19 reg definitely being penalised.

If your Jab engine is modified, why not call it something else?

D. Appendix – Summary of recommendations

1) Definitions of configuration:

Manufactured s/n

range (4cyl)

Manufactured s/n

range (6cyl)

Description

Generation

22A0001 through

22A2067

33A0001 through

33A0960

Manufactured with solid valve lifters

Generation

22A2068 through

22A3595

33A0961 through

33A2539

Manufactured with flat faced hydraulic valve

lifters

Generation

22A3596 and above 33A2540 and above Manufactured with roller hydraulic valve lifters

2) Where operational Limitations apply:

1. Generation 2 engines, engaged in, or have engaged in flying school operations with 3/8”

through bolts and studs above 500hrs (engine time) of operation.

2. Jabiru manufactured engines modified using non-Jabiru manufactured parts.*

This would apply to a CAMit hybrid engine but not a CAMit designed and manufactured engine. Also applies to experimental

modifications (solid lifters in hydraulic cases) and water cooled heads.

3) Where operational Limitations DO NOT apply:

1. Generation 1 and generation 3 engine configurations.

2. Generation 2 engines with 7/16” through bolts and studs (any operational type).

3. Generation 2 engines with 3/8” through bolts that have not conducted any flying school

operations.

4) Mandatory requirements as a condition of normal operations:

1. All through bolts and studs, regardless of configuration are to be replaced prior to 1,000hrs

of operation.

2. The Jabiru maintenance schedule is to be performed as per the manufacturers schedule. Of

specific note within the current requirements of the Jabiru JEM0002-6 Maintenance Manual

are:

a. Oil and filter change (every 25hrs – Table 13 item 37)

b. Compression or leak down check (every 50hrs – Table 13 item 18)

c. Intake and exhaust systems Inspection (every 25hrs – Table 13 item 14)

d. Permanent and temporary storage requirements (Paragraph 7.2)

e. “Pulling Through” the Engine as part of the pre-flight inspection (first flight of the day

as described in the Pilot’s Operating Handbook)

f. Engine tuning per the current maintenance manual requirements (JSL002

configuration must not be used).

Note: This list is not intended to trivialise any other maintenance requirement set by the manufactures schedule. All

maintenance is to be performed to the schedule as a condition of unlimited operations.

Guest Andys@coffs

So wonder what mine is.......6cyl gen 1 with 7/16th through bolts and studs...just in case the 3/8th ones that never broke in that config suddenly felt the need to......that was mega$$$ well spent hey! Wonder where I go for my refund!!!!

Andy

Have you forgotten the statement in the Courier Mail re the Pathfinder incident (including PVT FLYING in CTA with a RPC) by the, at the time, new CEO - not the board but factually incorrect statement, probably repeating dribble as supplied by the mentioned exmember.

Frank - I most certainly haven't - it was why I decided not to renew my RAA membership!. I emailed Lincke on the matter and got no response. But as you say, that is not directly a Board statement. I would assume that some members of the Board pulled Lincke aside and tried to instill a bit of wisdom, but it would have been a difficult look for them to publicly repudiate his statements when he was but a few days into the job, and I doubt anybody at that time would have seen the CASA freight-train headed for them. The old 'when in a hole, stop digging' probably applied, and I think anybody would agree that the Board ( in the public form of Micheal Momcke) came out swinging pretty hard when the shot hit the fan.

• Agree 1

Hi

Am I reading the CASA instrument and the CASA report both right, or are the documents at odds with each other? The CASA Jabiru engine reliability report says

2) Where operational Limitations DO NOT apply:

Generation 1 and generation 3 engine configurations.

Justification: Through bolt failures have not been experienced on generation 1 or generation 3 engines. The vibratory characteristics of the Generation 1 engines has been shown to exhibit a distinct difference in the natural frequency to the hydraulic lifter crankcase which had unfortunate characteristics relative to the engine excitation frequency, causing the crankcase to vibrate and fret.

D. Appendix – Summary of recommendations

1) Definitions of configuration:

Manufactured s/n

range (4cyl)

Manufactured s/n

range (6cyl)

Description

Generation 1

22A0001 through 22A2067

33A0001 through 33A0960

Manufactured with solid valve lifters

Generation 2

22A2068 through 22A3595

33A0961 through 33A2539

Manufactured with flat faced hydraulic valve lifters

Generation 3

22A3596 and above

33A2540 and above

Manufactured with roller hydraulic valve lifters

The new Instrument 65/16 by M Skidmore seems to reverse the groups ABC above to BAC (Group A in the report has become group B) . The Skidmore instrument 65/16 shows:

Group

Description of configuration

Manufactured s/n

range (4 cyl)

Manufactured s/n range (6 cyl)

A

Engines with flat-faced hydraulic valve lifters

22A2068 through 22A3595

33A0961 through 33A2539

B

Engines with solid valve lifters and 3/8" through bolts

22A0001 through 22A2067

33A0001 through 33A0960

C

Engines with roller or flat-faced hydraulic valve lifters and 7/16" through bolts

22A3596 and above

33A2540 and above