Definition of Aerobatics

djpacro

Because making a law against it instantly make it stop happening.....rightThe system is full of people with that mindset, and that is why nothing is getting better.

Having read through the RAA incident report list, it is quite clear that all that someone is justifying their position. Seriously, could you imagine the backlash if we demanded that the motoring public report the sort of rubbish RAA members are being told to report.

They don't have to make a law against it; that already exists. I'd say the idea of CASA approving and exemption to allow it is cooked.

They don't have to make a law against it; that already exists. I'd say the idea of CASA approving and exemption to allow it is cooked.

Point = missed, yet again. So, yes a law already exists, and yet people still do it, and will continue to do so. People continue to do most things that there are laws against, one day when regulators come to that realisation, we might actually start to make some progress.

I have listened magistrates that would appear to believe that if there was a law against gravity, you could actually drop something and it wouldn't fall.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
He may have been unhappy only because he wasn't expecting it - at Moorabbin there are potential conflicts - apart from aircraft joining overhead and descending to downwind we have helicopters crossing mid-field at 500 ft as we take off.The Tower guys here are excellent - they know the local MX2 but if you visited they'd probably expect a sedate Stearman type departure.

Incidentally: to me, a SID is a standard inverted departure.

Yep you're probably right. At Bankstown a choppers south puts you mid field overhead at 500 feet to join the heli circuit which will potentially cause a problem if someone is zoom climbing or the like. We do look for conflicts but you might find that neither the heli pilots or ATC are expecting a steep climb. I suppose that there isn't really a reason that regardless of aircraft type you can do a standard climb departure.

• 2 years later...

Taking the challenge to define aeros, consider this from Tin Legs Bader, "Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men."  In other words, rules are purely a metric - a rule is a measurement device - nothing more.  The whole issue is then neatly simplified, you decide what is aeros in your aircraft, and if you bugger it up, then you might just become wiser.

If I do aeros I like a plane built like a brick outhouse and certified for spin recovery  and the  technique in the POH as  a start point While YOU (anyone) as an individual may be very capable of not overloading the airframe it's another matter when someone else (a student or someone stale and getting a refresher) is" learning"/ practicing/ experimenting with you there to extricate it from whatever happens to it, and not overload it or hit   the ground out of control, in the process.. I can't think of an RAAus type plane that meets the requirements I want. There have been some "specials" done and they are very much the exception...  Aerobatic planes are built for it and have more rigid required inspections of lifed parts. If someone overloads it you won't know till the wing comes off if you are the next to fly it.  and haven't noticed the creases in the wing skin. Nev

Nev. You have forgotten the Corby Starlet. Mine is RAAus reg and I don't do aerobatics in it. In fact I don't do aeros in my RV4, which some say is a waste.

The Corby is certainly very capable of aerobatics.

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...

The DH-82 A Tigermoth was strong enough in the early days when they were newer, The plane had insufficient power and aileron to do serious aeros. Although i tried as it was available and not likely to kill you.. A lot of people like them but it's more the mystique or look of a double winger, I reckon. In the mid 60's only a few nutcases like me flew them. I got to do a lot of spin endorsements and aeros check. (ALL grist for the mill) A lot less boring than C 172's .Nev