Beatups and silly things...

Guest Graham Lea

Pelorus,

I've heard the same thing, and it will be good from the viewpoint of being able to utilise RAA aircraft better. Also, pilots will be able to do one of these courses as their BFR/AFR - which gives them more value from the review process.

It's been my experience that many of the 'self-taught' low level or formation types actually realise just how dangerously they've been living when they undergo the approved course of training. You often hear.... jeesh !! is that what happens ? during the training.

I'm not of the opinion that once pilots have undergone training, that they will continue doing illegal stuff knowingly. Knowledge is a powerful tool.

happy days,

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than one Jabiru:big_grin:

Truth to tell, I don't know. Maybe one of the instructors can chime in on this.

M

However, in deference to the generally slower speeds at which they can be flown, the horizontal distance from which these heights are measured does not need to be the same 600 metres as for general aviation aircraft, and has been set at 300 metres for Part 103. This also provides a safe margin for a pilot to be able to glide clear of occupied areas in the event of engine failure.

That bit strikes me as being a bit incongruous as the real ultralights are generally a bit draggy with poorer glide ratios so that in actual fact they need a greater distance to glide clear.

David

Formation endorsement is probably 5 hours depending on your schools syllabus and previous (logged/legal!) experience. It's not something to try and knock off in a weekend. Whilst it can look easy, it's not all that easy when things get a bit bumpy or pearshaped.

I've been meaning to get mine for ages, both RA and GA but always struggle once it comes time to finding someone else who wants to get it at the same time. In RA world you can in theory go to 100ft from another RA aircraft so that's damn close anyway and close enough for most people.

Formation Flight?

All I can find in the Operations Manual is a small para at 2.01-2 ' Close Proximity Flying' 5 which refers to an approved Formation Flying syllabus.

I'm only a recent convert to RAA, and have never taught formation under RAA, so must profess ignorance. I have done so under GA regs, with the local GA school,where we use a course I modified from the RACWA original, but tailored for VANS RV's. It's been written into the flight schools Operations Manual, and is therefore CASA approved.

My intention was to use this Course as the framework for my Jabiru J-160.

It's difficult to see how it could be taught and learned any quicker under RAA - than GA. So, I'd plan on doing the Course as a 5 hour minimum, with a further 2-3 hours supervised solo in formation before signing off on anyone. As with other approved courses, it should serve as your AFR/BFR if the timing is right.

Just my thoughts, and I'm happy to stand/sit corrected if anyone else cares to post.

happy days,