Magazine

Guest Redair

Greetings each,

just wondering... is there going to be an RAAus mag for January? has anyone seen it? I can't even gauge whether or not it is just slow post, as we cannot see them in the news agents any more.

Redair.

There never is a January edition of the mag...there are 11 edition per year

Ah, that would explain it then. Silly me, I thought there was no December issue. I guess the January issues are like the little strip you sign on the rear of your Pilot Certificate... just not there 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif

Redair.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Andys@coffs

It was stopped, the costs were greater than the income and with our deficit budget we need to control cost > income where ever possible.

It's a bit of a shame it's not sold in the news agents any more. Even though it doesn't pay for itself that's what drew me to RAA in the first place. I was intrigued by all the articles and also was looking through the for sale section and thought, hey maybe this can be affordable.

• Agree 9

On the topic of the Magazine.. do they still sell Sport Pilot mag in the newsagents???.. I was asked the other day but have no idea.

RAA is now invisible to the general public. For an organisation who's only hope of meaningful survival is increasing its membership, this was a VERY silly move.

• Agree 7

It's a bit of a shame it's not sold in the news agents any more. Even though it doesn't pay for itself that's what drew me to RAA in the first place. I was intrigued by all the articles and also was looking through the for sale section and thought, hey maybe this can be affordable.

Me too. Without pulling it off a news agents shelf one day I probably wouldn't have known it existed. Found an add for a nearby instructor. Went for a TIF and the rest is history as they say......

GA schools didn't like to mention or discuss the RAA "option" back then. Not sure if much has changed....

• Agree 2

Guest Andys@coffs

We have some plans to address this, however have to say that the slow death of the newsagent across Australia meant that whether we initiated this, or just stayed status quo the outcome was going to be the same longer term. Newsagents in my areas are all downsizing, or closing. They really should be called lottery shops...who also sell the odd pen, pencil or magazine....

Suggestions as to our demise as a result seem to be a tad over the top in light of continuing member growth and smaller continued aircraft registration growth.....I guess people must be, in the absence of a magazine be using Google.......... 20 years ago if I needed something I might have magazine surfed...now I just go straight to the Internet....search engines make such an approach eminently more successful.

Andy

I found out about RAA via Google. First came the interest in flying, and then I found out about RAA when looking up details of local flying schools. I never gave any thought to the magazines at the newsagent.

• Agree 1

Forum sites like this one are dieing by the dozen every day and it is not because of other mediums like facebook etc but we continue to buck the trend here with constant growth probably due to our continual inovation in our delivery system. Why is this relevent to this thread? Because like everything, you need to stay ahead with the times and be adaptable to not just the needs of the current audience. However, once you have an audience, targeting too much to that audience will see you boxed in unless you are a monopoly. So say you have an audience of 30% of the market, doing what that 30% want will be to the detriment of growth. You MUST also target that other 70% because there is a reason why they are not on board. It is easy to get feedback from your 30% and act on that but you will go downhill, getting feedback from the 70% is much harder but that is what most importantly need to get if you are really going to grow.

The point I am making is that it is more important for RAAus to find out why people don't fly than why they do and the benefit of this is they can experience higher growth by addressing the reasons why they don't, something that an industry body should do. From the knowledge gained in ascertaining why people don't fly recreational aircraft, RAAus could answer many questions like best use of marketing etc of which the magazine is a product for.

The same as this site. Instead of polling the current users on why they come here, it is better, albeit much much harder, find out why recreational aviators don't use this site and from that information I can address those reasons and experience greater growth.

• Agree 7

Similar to Churchill's policy to add armor plating anywhere but to battle-damaged areas of returning bombers. They'd demonstrated that this sort of damage was survivable.

The bombers which didn't return must have been hit somewhere else.

I don't think the mag has much to do with attracting members to RAA.

The main reason for the significant increase in membership IMO was the change in available aircraft.

The LSA types i.e. 100kt cruise enclosed cockpit, attracts another group of people that would not be interested in the traditional AUF types.

One often hears from people with no interest in ultralights "but this looks like a proper aeroplane".

Whilst the 60/80kt range, rag & tube etc will always have a place and their followers and they suit people for their particular like in flying, the increase I believe is in the increased "variety" available to interest a larger section of the community with their varied interests.

The major concern to my way of thinking is whether CASA is going to kill this off. Apart from half a dozen here, I have not heard of anyone else agreeing with the current CASA action for example. If this is not a warning for All types, with the same individuals in place at CASA, I don't know what is.

I guess we will know (as in Yes Minister) in the fullness of time.

• Agree 3

Guest Andys@coffs

RAAus continues to fight against the, unfair by virtue of no published proof, CASA instrument. I'm sure our CEO will have more to say on this in coming weeks. We are hoping that the new DAS also has something to say as well. Our FTF's are suffering, if you need instruction or just a refresher or want your local instructor to survive, now may well be a good time to do that thing you keep thinking about but haven't yet done anything about......

Andy

I live in hope that Mark Skidmore can manage to change the culture at CASA to one of a co-operative nature with the Industry. He seems to be making the right signals at this stage. His support of the Jabiru restrictions (see Feb Sportpilot) was quite predictable as he can't possibly be seen to disagree with what his staff have done just as he comes on board.

• Agree 2

It's hard to value the magazine being available publicly in newsagents. Having it there can't be a negative. It's a question of cost, but everyone knows we need younger members. They won't have $100,000 + dollars for a plane, plus training costs to find out if there is much in it- Build basic simple aircraft. Remember the EAA Biplane? That was a good generic Perhaps the RAAus could push a few low cost basic designs they evaluate, like the MAX but but a bit more sophisticated. Nev

• Agree 1

Whilst for health/financial reasons I cannot currently do any flying, I used to so look forward to be able to pick up a copy at my local newsagent which still has a thriving business in my area.

As a result of my enthusiasm and showing the magazine to others, I have introduced 5 people to flying, who otherwise would probably not have done so.

For a couple of family members to chip-in for a TIF for a nephew or grandsons Christmas or Birthday present, more often than not gets them hooked, and they can't stop telling all their friends about the experience.

I'm sure if a FTF was to approach local schools with an inviting TIF offer on the notice board, there would be plenty of takers, and with a quick call to the local newspaper to take a few photo's and give it a bit of editorial, I'm sure a lot of interest would be generated.

Has anyone tried this approach?

At one time I used to take and leave behind an old copy of the magazine when I visited the doctors, dentist and barbers shop. On my next visit most of the old magazines were much about the same, but the flying ones seemed to have been pinched?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Brilliant idea Planey. Why didn't I thinks of that. One of my (many) pet hates is waiting rooms having only crappy women's magazines- you know, like "No Idea". Meanwhile, my garage is overloaded with old aeroplane mags which I would hate to throw out.

Problem solved. All the local waiting rooms are about to get better reading matter, along with a card from our local Aero Club.

• Agree 2

I do that already FT and by the way, can you just imagine me lugging my desk-top computer, keyboard and monitor and setting it all up on the Recreational Flying page for all to see, while I just get a quick "short back and sides" for even less RAAus promotional time?

Greetings again, as far as magazines in the newsagent... it was only by chancing upon the RA Aus mag in a newsagent that I realised that my long held dream of flying could be achieved, after I had almost given up on the idea, when investigations into PPL & GA revealed that it was all too expensive. Recreational flying, and even aircraft building, (something I had never thought would have possible to the average Joe) was affordable. I bought the mag, I found a flying school, I bought a kit, I built the kit, I flew the plane! All of that could very easily not have happened if I hadn't seen that magazine.

On the subject of waiting rooms... I have a slightly different approach... I give my wife old flying mags, (not the RA Aus ones, I keep those) and she takes them into schools... now that's where to get the flying bug breeding and biting!!!

Regards, Redair.