Promoting the Drifter! What have you done?

farri

Hi Mike,

I have been looking for the butterfly video and can't find it. There is only one more picture of the butterfly but I have to transfer it from my son's computer and will post it later tonight. But I got the hawk !

Now let me know, true or false?

Good landings.image.jpg.d1c61e80ed773f61e96bd8f0e18ba8a0.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

Regarding the red Drifter, looks great. I remember my first solo take off on a Maxair Drifter. It had a Rotax 503 and for the first time I had to use the left rudder instead of the right rudder I was used to. I can tell you it wasn't pretty. It felt like the airplane had a 400 horses powered radial engine try to turn the thing to the right border of the grass runway. Thanks God it was not concrete!

Hi Samual. Nice image. Real. I meant to reply that I took the butterfly images as real and meant the the addition of the images to your other posted images with it in was good. (In no way was I saying it was a photo shop image.) Seeing that you also like spearing and so does farri we are in the same tribe. I went for a dive last Sunday (Should have been building but the day off was good; and these are two of the fish I caught with a straight hook :).

Got a full day building planned for today as I got some more parts from aircraft spruce; so must get cracking.

Cheers and good flights

Mike

P1070659.JPG.6f715dcef8944ef49bb1d077c2eb5a4c.JPG

P1070656.JPG.32025127bdb86120c9d79aa9406c4c09.JPG

• Like 2

Mike,

Nice Parrot fish! The other one looks like a grouper of some kind? Only the ones who have done it understand the feeling when you spear a fish and you can feel the energy through the shaft of the spear. The other when you stone the fish instantly. Now looking at the other butterfly picture, if it wouldn't happened to me, I image.jpg.7c60878cf7998152964ca3ff6a71f89b.jpg would doubt a picture like that. Looking at the other picture. The butterfly passed at the perfect distance and at the perfect angle to the Gopro camera. This is the other picture

The Hawk incident!

It was a beautiful morning and I invited the most experienced pilot I have a chance to meet. Former F15 test pilot, instructor of the test pilot school in USA, retired from the USAF. There more titles but would like to keep it confidential. Well you can understand I was the passenger in this flight. We both agree we will fly low and we both understand the risks involved. Flying we went. I was recording with my cell phone. In the Hawk's defense: we were a tad low.

In our defense: the Hawk did not announce his intentions, did not clear the area before maneuvering and did not turn on his transponder on. Here the sequence of the movie.image.jpg.078c0233d339d5a3c50aab0b6cb440f6.jpg

Counting Hawk's feathers doesn't sound risky at all until you try it from the backseat of a Drifter in flight at low altitude. In a good note, the Hawk banked hard right and we got some grass back home in our landing gear.

Disclaimer: Flying low is dangerous and should be avoided.

This week I spent much of my time taking care of a good friend a the hospital. A physician himself,got a fish spine on his throat and ended up intubated for three days in intensive care. He almost did not make it to the weekend's barbecue.

So, Mike, careful with that Parrot fish!

• 1 month later...

I took 16 year old Bazilio, flying today!... Bazilio comes from Fiji and it was his first flight in an Ultralight aircraft...He was over the moon about it.

1146963033_Basilio.(Large).jpg.228999518cf77374d5a2cae7ea48bb66.jpg

1195965795_Basilio2(Large).jpg.47a654413ff80cc16cd029b94f586623.jpg

Frank.

• Like 5

This is big Pete and his mum Nancy...I`ve known Peter and Nancy for several years and they`ve both been flying with me before...Pete, several times and Nancy once...What makes today`s flight special is that Nancy is 87 years of age...

Nancy`s impression of our flight? In her words! "Absolutely wonderful!"

468882354_NancyandPeter(Large).jpg.d477383091f29cfc18afd0bbfec7fc48.jpg

Frank.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Frank,

all we need is you to take care of the Drifter's factory and they will sell like candy. What you are doing is the best way to advertise the Drifter. If every other pilot would do half of what you are doing, the future of aviation will be secured. Thank you,from this part of the world.

I had the opportunity to talk with a salesman from Lockwood.the only reason they are not advertising and actively showing the American version of the drifter..

They have more orders for the Aircam that they can handle and the owner does not want to put in risk his production line for the Aircam. Sad that the success of an airplane decreases the success of his brother.

Every one who have had a chance to fly a Drifter will tell what a great little airplane the Drifters are.

I see other models in the market that are way low in performance in almost every aspect when compared to the Drifter and still showing decent sales numbers.

The future will tell what happen to the Drifter but right know, we have this amazing bird for us to fly. Man, we are lucky I tell you!

• Like 1

Spotted three big Crocks this morning, in a 1.5 klm stretch of the Mulgrave river, a klm north of home. I didn`t bother taking a photo of the third one, as it was about the same size and in a similar situation to the 3 meter one here. For anyone who want`s to know how I take the photos! Yes!... From 500` AGL, with my little Olympus TG850, held out the side.

The biggest Fella. I estimate this one to be well over 4 meters long, .

528159985_Crock.(Large).jpg.a63cacc93a6e4aa708b42f0fe106f98b.jpg

1/2 a klm up from the Deeral, Mulgrave river boat ramp. Probably above 3 meters long.

1028872721_Crock2(Large).jpg.95b88efcdcc6387307ec39d61693f00e.jpg

Frank.

• Informative 1

Nev, Believe it or not! Many years ago, when we were only legal to 500` agl, I had a guy in the front seat for a TIF and at exactly the same spot I was over,when taking the photo of the big fella,this morning, the engine quit! so, no choice but to put it down in the paddock bellow me! Hardest part was walking out and I stepped on a bloody big snake, in the grass.... I`m no stranger to engine failure!!!

Frank.

It is paradise!!! Where else do you get to see Crocks and step on snakes without getting bitten?....I reckon it`s you city slickers, who are surrounded by deadly predators! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Frank.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Had a pleasant surprise visit this after noon from Arthur Gleeson, his wife, Vivian and son Darren! ( Cousins of my wife Frances )... They were on their way back home to Townsville after a weekend up on Cape York...After we all had a chat over a Coffee, I took Darren up in the Drifter! His first time in a Ultralight Aircraft.

1782685018_DarrenintheDrifter.(Large).jpg.a2d1b9f5a26e64e662cc5111915ae23c.jpg

Arthur, Darren and Vivian.

1027030604_20150913_04(Large).JPG.9f05ff0ac117f32aeefed07d92cba21f.JPG

Frank.

• Like 1